• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"These'll pay for my kid's college..."
5 5

141 posts in this topic

If you were a condition collector in the 90's , and borderline hoarder I think you are doing okay for return on investment.

i won't disclose how many of these I had or currently have but so far all 9.8's to 9.9's

ASM 300 (9.8's, and 1 9.9)

ASM 361 (9.8's)

NM , 87,98 (9.8's)

Wolverine Mini 1-4 (9.9's)

Dark Knight (9.8's)

Batman Adv 12(9.8's)

And there are a lot more examples of a pretty significant return for investment , silly really.

I do wish I would have picked up an Action 1 a decade earlier in place of stockpiling .

On 12/21/2021 at 8:32 PM, Hamlet said:

X-men 1 was probably one of the most speculated on books in the history of comics. It would probably be my guess for the number one spot personally. The fact that anyone can sell it for anything above a dollar shocks me, TBH.  Doesn’t it hold the record for its total print run?

Yes, in terms of comics with clearly recorded production numbers.

On 12/21/2021 at 8:52 PM, William-James88 said:
On 12/21/2021 at 7:32 PM, Hamlet said:

X-men 1 was probably one of the most speculated on books in the history of comics. It would probably be my guess for the number one spot personally. The fact that anyone can sell it for anything above a dollar shocks me, TBH.  Doesn’t it hold the record for its total print run?

Expand  

Yes, in terms of comics with clearly recorded production numbers.

Xmen 1 or Superman #75.. hm

On 12/21/2021 at 9:08 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

X-force 1 should be in the conversation too. 

I actually dug mine out when people were paying money for the ones with the Deadpool card ( I didn’t have any 😀).  I opened one and read it for the first time.  What a complete garbage book.

On 12/21/2021 at 9:17 PM, Hamlet said:
On 12/21/2021 at 9:08 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

X-force 1 should be in the conversation too. 

I was just thinking of sheer number printed and number of people who bought copies just based on possible future return. 

On 12/21/2021 at 10:08 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Jim Lee's x-men 1 for sure. It has more than 8 million units sold. That's 2 million more than Superman 75. Xforce 1 has less units than those two out there, but it's still 5 million units.

Edited by William-James88

1. X-Men (1991) No. 1 (7.1 Million copies) (They say 8.1 million copies pre-ordered.)
  2. X-Force (1992) No. 1 (5 Million copies) (This number is at odds with other sources)
  3. Adventures of Superman (1987) No. 500 (4.2 Million copies)
  4. Superman (1987) No. 75 (3 Million copies) (This number has been reported as high as 6 million.)
  5. Spider-Man (1990) No. 1 (2.5 Million copies)
  6. Action Comics (1938) No. 687 (1.8 Million copies)
  7. Superman (1987) No. 78 (1.78 million copies)
  8. Adventures of Superman (1987) No. 501 (1.72 million copies)
  9. Superman: Man of Steel (1991) No. 22 (1.71 Million copies)
  10. Spawn (1992) No. 1 (1.7 Million copies)

Top 10 Best Selling Comic Books Of The Modern Era - Zap-Kapow Comics (zapkapowcomics.com)

Edited by sckao

On 12/21/2021 at 10:55 PM, sckao said:
  1. X-Men (1991) No. 1 (7.1 Million copies) (They say 8.1 million copies pre-ordered.)
  2. X-Force (1992) No. 1 (5 Million copies) (This number is at odds with other sources)
  3. Adventures of Superman (1987) No. 500 (4.2 Million copies)
  4. Superman (1987) No. 75 (3 Million copies) (This number has been reported as high as 6 million.)
  5. Spider-Man (1990) No. 1 (2.5 Million copies)
  6. Action Comics (1938) No. 687 (1.8 Million copies)
  7. Superman (1987) No. 78 (1.78 million copies)
  8. Adventures of Superman (1987) No. 501 (1.72 million copies)
  9. Superman: Man of Steel (1991) No. 22 (1.71 Million copies)
  10. Spawn (1992) No. 1 (1.7 Million copies)

Top 10 Best Selling Comic Books Of The Modern Era - Zap-Kapow Comics (zapkapowcomics.com)

While I have seen these numbers or at least variations of them.  They seem skewed.  I do realize they did multiple prints of Superman #75 still with that there was so much more coverage.  Shops had customers lining streets to get it. I do not remember the same fan fair for xmen 1  .

Only thing I can think of was that a lot of places ran out of Sup 75 and there were a lot of instant resellers marking up $25+ for each copy. 

Still seems like it would be over that $3m estimate.  

On 12/21/2021 at 9:06 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

While I have seen these numbers or at least variations of them.  They seem skewed.  I do realize they did multiple prints of Superman #75 still with that there was so much more coverage.  Shops had customers lining streets to get it. I do not remember the same fan fair for xmen 1  .

Only thing I can think of was that a lot of places ran out of Sup 75 and there were a lot of instant resellers marking up $25+ for each copy. 

We would be rich if we invested in 100 copies of NM #98, and ASM #361 

doh!

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

If you took that money from the 90’s and bought blue chip stocks you would have done much better

What is one’s time worth? All those nickle and dime profits take lots of time to accumulate 

How many times would one bag and rebag books in 25 years. And if someone tells me they only bagged and boarded once with those poly bags from then , we’ll I just don’t believe you. How many times did you move them, were they they ever in paid storage?

And those books are only marginally worthwhile. How many speculation books never took off? 
I can’t believe there were no critters or humidity or some other environmental damage. Even smoke in the air can lose the white pages. Good luck selling a lot of those 90’s books with less than WP. How many of those books come back 9.6 or 9.4? You lose money on those. Take all the time invested in the upkeep of high grade drek and work a second job. Use that to buy some stocks in a Roth fund and you are going to do better 10 out of 10 times. 

I’ll take some shares of Apple for the win.

The better strategy is to wait 5-10 years and let the market separate the wheat from the chaff. Buy up the books that have clearly stated to stand above the rest. Those 90’s speculators have so much garbage amongst the few winners. I would rather have bought up NM 98 and ASM 300 at $25-$50 a pop 5-10 years in than tie myself up in boxes of drek .

On 12/22/2021 at 12:10 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

We would be rich if we invested in 100 copies of NM #98, and ASM #361 

doh!

I am not fighting that... 

If....

Coke a cola...

Netflix...

Apple....

Amazon....

There are/have been so many chances for each of us to be VERY well off. If we all knew how many times we each have had opportunities to make 1mil+++ :roflmao:

On 12/21/2021 at 5:51 PM, UncleBEN said:

If you were a condition collector in the 90's , and borderline hoarder I think you are doing okay for return on investment.

Although I would agree with you that condition collectors back in the 90's would have the winners which you listed in HG condition, but for the hoarder collectors back then, how many worthless losers in multiple bulk would you have spent your money on, with virtually no chance of getting your money back after factoring in all of the necessary expense to hopefully be able to sell them.  hm

On 12/21/2021 at 11:49 PM, NP_Gresham said:

I’ll take some shares of Apple for the win.

This is the same as saying you'll take Spidey 300, Hulk 181, TMNT 1, or whatever since it's always easy to invest retroactively.  :takeit:

Yet, in reality, you could just as simply say how many shares of Nortel, Enron, or Bre-X for the big loss.  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/21/2021 at 5:04 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Easier. Yes. But it’s only in today’s hyper red hot marketplace that you can now trade your $1 BIN fodder for $10-$100.   Do that 1000 times in your spare time.

That’s a win from where I’m sitting. 

What's the odds of you being able to pick out a 9.8 condition quality book from the $1 BIN fodder that's been sitting in those boxes for years (if not decades), as opposed to getting it in your typical money losing condition quality?  :tonofbricks:

You must have a LOT of free time on your hands if you have the time to ship overprinted drek books to CGC for grading 1,000 times hoping against hope for a CGC 9.8 grade so that you can list them 1,000 times hoping to make say $10 or $20 on average for each book by the time you factor in your money losing books.  hm  :p

On 12/22/2021 at 3:54 AM, lou_fine said:

What's the odds of you being able to pick out a 9.8 condition quality book from the $1 BIN fodder that's been sitting in those boxes for years (if not decades), as opposed to getting it in your typical money losing condition quality?  :tonofbricks:

You must have a LOT of free time on your hands if you have the time to ship overprinted drek books to CGC for grading 1,000 times hoping against hope for a CGC 9.8 grade so that you can list them 1,000 times hoping to make say $10 or $20 on average for each book by the time you factor in your money losing books.  hm  :p

I didn’t mention the use of CGC services in my comment.(shrug)

On 12/21/2021 at 11:06 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I think the big difference between X-men 1 and Superman 75 is that Superman 75 had way more interest for it outside of the hardcore collecting community.  I’m pretty sure Superman 75 sold to more individuals, but I bet more collectors bought multiples of X-men 1.  Plus stores had lots of leftover issues of X-men 1, since the long box of overstocked X-men 1s was a staple of the dollar boxes for years ( decades? ) afterwards.

I don’t remember seeing a similar glut of Superman 75s anywhere.