• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

comic movies true geeks didn't go to the theater for

21 posts in this topic

this little exercise is only for the geeks among us who more or less religiously go to the theater to see every new comic-based superhero flick that comes out.   which movies did you "just say no" to based on what you read or heard?   i'm going to leave off "graphic novel" stuff that i really knew nothing about, and stick to our hero books/characters.

i did not drop cash at the box office for these:

catwoman.

elektra.

supergirl.

ghost rider 2.

ff reboot.

the spirit.

dark phoenix.

new mutants.

2nd suicide squad.

birds of prey.

jonah hex.

bloodshot.

that last hellboy.

venom/carnage.

punisher war zone.

howard the duck.

a couple aren't hero books, but i threw them in there.  i'll noodle if i can think of others.

how 'bout y'all???

Edited by Straw-Man

a few didn't see theatres, did they? (New Muts, Dark Phoenix...both of which I saw)

I went to the last Hellboy movie near the end of the run, only person in the theatre. Movie was so good in so many ways, very gory as well. On your list I also saw Birds of Prey, 2nd suicide squad. Will likely see Carnage. Need to see No Way Home but covid raging, maybe next week during the day - daughter in basement apartment now getting over covid so last weekend we were busy with rearranging the house so she could come home from college and be quarantined!  Watched Snyder Cut over a few days. Bloodshot is on my radar as well, will watch eventually. Went to theatre for Shang Chi with family. watched Black Widow on telly. Waiting for Eternals on telly, want to see it but never got around to it.

Edited by Bird

On 12/23/2021 at 5:24 PM, Straw-Man said:

this little exercise is only for the geeks among us who more or less religiously go to the theater to see every new comic-based superhero flick that comes out.   which movies did you "just say no" to based on what you read or heard?   i'm going to leave off "graphic novel" stuff that i really knew nothing about, and stick to our hero books/characters.

i did not drop cash at the box office for these:

catwoman.

elektra.

supergirl.

ghost rider 2.

ff reboot.

the spirit.

dark phoenix.

new mutants.

2nd suicide squad.

birds of prey.

jonah hex.

bloodshot.

that last hellboy.

venom/carnage.

punisher war zone.

howard the duck.

a couple aren't hero books, but i threw them in there.  i'll noodle if i can think of others.

how 'bout y'all???

I didn’t see any movie on your list in the theater either. Other ones I skipped:

Steel, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Captain Marvel, Shang-Chi, Black Widow and Eternals. 

Only ones on your list I saw in the theater were Birds of Prey and Venom/Carnage. Picked up a couple on cable/streaming - 2nd Suicide Squad and New Mutants.

Also did not go to the theater for:

The Dark Knight Rises

Batman Forever

Batman and Robin

Batman v Superman

Justice League (either version)

Wonder Woman 1984 

Green Lantern

Hulk

The Incredible Hulk

The Amazing Spider-Man

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Venom

Superman III

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

Superman Returns

Edited by MattTheDuck
To add Ryan Reynolds failed superhero effort

On 12/23/2021 at 9:40 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Only ones on your list I saw in the theater were Birds of Prey and Venom/Carnage. Picked up a couple on cable/streaming - 2nd Suicide Squad and New Mutants.

Also did not go to the theater for:

The Dark Knight Rises

Batman Forever

Batman and Robin

Batman v Superman

Justice League (either version)

Wonder Woman 1984 

Green Lantern

Hulk

The Incredible Hulk

The Amazing Spider-Man

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Venom

Superman III

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

Superman Returns

Dark Knight Rises looked amazing in IMAX. 

MCU: Eternals, Shang-Chi, Black Widow, Ant-Man, Thor, Thor Dark World, Incredible Hulk

DCEU: Everything but WW & MOS

Sony/MCU: Spider-Man No Way Home

Sony: ASM 2, Venom, Venom 2, Morbius, Kraven, Madame Web, Black Cat, ....

Fox: X-Men Origins, The Wolverine, Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix, New Mutants, Deadpool, Deadpool 2, FF:SS, The FF

Edited by paperheart

Everything on the OP’s post.  Also a bunch more.  
Some of the movies I’ve never seen at at include:

Spidey 3

ASM 2 (just saw the first one a few days ago for the first time)

Green Lantern

Aquaman

Ant-Man & Wasp

Iron Man 2

Incredible Hulk

Ninja Turtles reboot

Daredevil

Blade 3

Crow 2

I’m sure there are a bunch more that I can’t think of.  At this point, the only movies that I’m really interested in seeing moving forward  are movies with either Batman or Spidey in them.  And I’d be in on a Daredevil movie with The Netflix cast.  
I know I’ll end up seeing Doc Strange as my daughter is a big Wanda fan. 

On 12/23/2021 at 4:31 AM, Bird said:

a few didn't see theatres, did they? (New Muts, Dark Phoenix...both of which I saw)

I went to the last Hellboy movie near the end of the run, only person in the theatre. Movie was so good in so many ways, very gory as well. On your list I also saw Birds of Prey, 2nd suicide squad. Will likely see Carnage. Need to see No Way Home but covid raging, maybe next week during the day - daughter in basement apartment now getting over covid so last weekend we were busy with rearranging the house so she could come home from college and be quarantined!  Watched Snyder Cut over a few days. Bloodshot is on my radar as well, will watch eventually. Went to theatre for Shang Chi with family. watched Black Widow on telly. Waiting for Eternals on telly, want to see it but never got around to it.

Dark Phoenix was in theaters, which I regret seeing. I think I missed the first 10 minutes or so, and it didnt even matter. 

I generally see most comic movies, unless it's some property I really don't care for or most of DC's offerings. Unless it's looks really good, I'm sorry, but DC get your act together. I didn't see these in theaters (actually most of these I"ve never seen at all, even to this day):

any TMNT movies

Catwoman

any of the Garfield Spider-Man movies (Spidey is actually my all time favorite character, but I didn't like Garfield and I hated the villains)

any of the FF movies (I was also a huge FF reader growing up. these all looked cheesy as hell)

Elektra

Justice League (any of them)

Birds of Prey

Suicide Squad 2

Batman 1 & 2 (Tim Burton)

Blade 3

Green Lantern

Wolverine Origins

Crow 2

Superman 2-4

I am a huge Jonah Hex fan. *Huge*

Saw the movie in the theater and it was one of the worst films I've ever seen. Stupid bad.

Like:

• Easily Fassbender's worst performance
  • Malkovich was horrible
  • Megan Fox wasn't even believable as a prostitute

It wasn't even bad enough to be ridiculously enjoyable, a la

Ghost Rider or Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (both of which I also saw in theater)

Does the Predator and Alien/Prometheus franchise qualify?  I've given up.

Also skipped the Star Wars movies (you know which ones).

Wonder Woman 1984...I'm not even sure it released in theaters but if it did I wasn't going.

***Let There Be Carnage...I went but wish I didn't

And you people call yourselves comic movie fans?

I saw all of those.

Except Catwoman.

I did not see that one.

Maybe because it wasn't really Catwoman?  

Maybe because I heard it was really bad? (though that did not stop me with a lot of those others.)

Maybe it was just really busy that week, and it did so bad that it was gone by the next one....

I guess I also did not see the Crow movies.  I don't think I even knew they were related to a comic at the time.  Also, I guess I thought going to see it was a bit morbid after what happened to the actor.  

I see too many movies.

Edited by Axelrod

Let's see...

ASM

ASM2

Daredevil

Catwoman

X-Men Apocalypse

Dark Phoenix

Howard the Duck

Steel

Wolverine Origins

Venom 1 and 2

WW84

Birds of Prey

SS2

Deadpool 1 and 2

Eternals

The FF reboot

Sin City

Any Punisher movie

The Spirit

Constantine

Blade 3

Kick-

On 12/24/2021 at 2:33 AM, Gatsby77 said:

I am a huge Jonah Hex fan. *Huge*

Saw the movie in the theater and it was one of the worst films I've ever seen. Stupid bad.

Like:

• Easily Fassbender's worst performance
  • Malkovich was horrible
  • Megan Fox wasn't even believable as a prostitute

It wasn't even bad enough to be ridiculously enjoyable, a la

Ghost Rider or Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (both of which I also saw in theater)

Hex had Fassbender and Malkovich?! Wow. I kinda want to see it now.

On 12/24/2021 at 4:07 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Does the Predator and Alien/Prometheus franchise qualify?  I've given up.

Also skipped the Star Wars movies (you know which ones).

Wonder Woman 1984...I'm not even sure it released in theaters but if it did I wasn't going.

***Let There Be Carnage...I went but wish I didn't

I’ll continue seeing any Alien movie in the theater, they will get it back on track someday. Hopefully. Even the Prometheus/Covenant films were worth seeing on the big screen as they were gorgeous to look at. 

On 12/24/2021 at 3:12 AM, Larryw7 said:

Let's see...

ASM

ASM2

Daredevil

Catwoman

X-Men Apocalypse

Dark Phoenix

Howard the Duck

Steel

Wolverine Origins

Venom 1 and 2

WW84

Birds of Prey

SS2

Deadpool 1 and 2

Eternals

The FF reboot

Sin City

Any Punisher movie

The Spirit

Constantine

Blade 3

Kick-

Ah, I also did not see Steel!  That was the one with Shaquille O'Neal, right?  

Wow that looked bad.

And maybe I have only seen 1 Punisher movie (not even sure how many have there been?)

But, I did see all the rest of these (besides Catwoman)

Green Lantern.  Good Golly was that a bad movie!  (When I did eventually see it at home.)  Can you imagine how good that would have been if that was done like Guardians of the Galaxy.  Hope it gets a reboot at some point.  Agree with most of your picks.  Daredevil, just something about it looked off.  (I wish I could erase my memories of going to see the Tim Burton, Joel Schumacher Batman movies in the theater.  Luckily, I never saw the Jim Carrey one.  Then I would need serious therapy.)

I skipped Dark Phoenix, the only X-Men film I didn't see theatrically. It just looked and sounded terrible. Surprise, I was absolutely right. 

Another I saw mentioned, Howard The Duck, I also didn't see, because I was like 2 when it came out, and I think Howard would have given me nightmares and haunted me for life.