• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is There Duty on Art Being Sent to the US from Canada?

14 posts in this topic

On 12/28/2021 at 1:56 PM, Jordysnordy said:

I am sending 2 pages and want to know before I send them if there is duty to be paid.

Do your receiver a favor and declare everything properly per below (you won't be lying), so he doesn't get hosed by the carrier.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-360?language=en_US

"However, if the frame is not of a value considered normal for the work of art, it will have to be classified separately under its applicable provision and may be dutiable. These original works of art, whether ancient or modern, must be executed entirely by hand."

Interesting aside here. So your Mona Lisa in a Michaels frame may be subject to duty as is your gold gilded frame on your 10 dollar lithograph. 

On 12/28/2021 at 10:00 PM, cstojano said:

"However, if the frame is not of a value considered normal for the work of art, it will have to be classified separately under its applicable provision and may be dutiable. These original works of art, whether ancient or modern, must be executed entirely by hand."

Interesting aside here. So your Mona Lisa in a Michaels frame may be subject to duty as is your gold gilded frame on your 10 dollar lithograph. 

lol

Probably not re: frame, unless that Michaels frame was really expensive. Too lazy to look-up that threshold but I bet it's higher than anything Michaels has in stock :) 

Gilded gold...oh who knows, too vague!

On 12/29/2021 at 8:19 AM, vodou said:

lol

Probably not re: frame, unless that Michaels frame was really expensive. Too lazy to look-up that threshold but I bet it's higher than anything Michaels has in stock :) 

Gilded gold...oh who knows, too vague!

I do wonder what percent of art framed by Michaels is worth less than the frame cost. I suspect the number is higher than you'd think (as someone who has a lot I frame there, I see what others bring in).

On 1/4/2022 at 7:39 PM, Jordysnordy said:

They have a max 25K insurance so all good - thanks for replying 

Wow.  A few years ago, they would only insure to a max of a couple of $K on art going from Canada to the US...  

On 1/4/2022 at 7:47 PM, pemart1966 said:

Wow.  A few years ago, they would only insure to a max of a couple of $K on art going from Canada to the US...  

The receiver has a Fed Ex account with that amount of insurance so this may be an exception and your information could still hold true. Best to check before shipping like we did.

On 1/4/2022 at 7:53 PM, Jordysnordy said:

The receiver has a Fed Ex account with that amount of insurance so this may be an exception and your information could still hold true. Best to check before shipping like we did.

Yup - that could make all of the difference.

On 1/5/2022 at 12:45 PM, IceHole said:

Just got in a couple of original art pages from over seas delivered by FedEx...no duty, but customs did cut open all the packages and taped them back up with their security tape...so expect that to happen.

As long as they don't cut the art in the process - all the more reason to tell shippers to leave a lot of packing border  around the art.

Edited by pemart1966