• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trimmed? ASM 27
2 2

20 posts in this topic

I don't think so...but I'm looking at images and not the book. It just looks "fanned" to me. GOD BLESS.... 

jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 12/28/2021 at 10:31 PM, jimjum12 said:

I don't think so...but I'm looking at images and not the book. It just looks "fanned" to me. GOD BLESS.... 

jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Thank you.  I know it’s tough from pics.  If I was a little more technologically sophisticated, I’d post a video.

The front cover doesn't look trimmed.  The book has spine roll, some of the front cover and both staples worked toward the back, and a bit askew.  You would think that the back cover would hang out a bit due to that, but it doesn't seem to.  So that raises an eyebrow.  But it could have resulted when it was originally cut, as the back cover outside edge looks to be following the same angle that the encroaching front cover forms.  Overall, I think it's legit.  Could be a married centerfold creating some unevenness along the edge, or just the original centerfold no longer buried into the comic spine.

On 12/29/2021 at 12:31 AM, Lightning55 said:

The front cover doesn't look trimmed.  The book has spine roll, some of the front cover and both staples worked toward the back, and a bit askew.  You would think that the back cover would hang out a bit due to that, but it doesn't seem to.  So that raises an eyebrow.  But it could have resulted when it was originally cut, as the back cover outside edge looks to be following the same angle that the encroaching front cover forms.  Overall, I think it's legit.  Could be a married centerfold creating some unevenness along the edge, or just the original centerfold no longer buried into the comic spine.

Thank you.  I believe the centerfold is original to the copy.  The staples line up perfectly with the holes.  Also, the PQ of the centerfold looks the same as the rest of the pages.

Well Doc, I think what Jimjum and Lightning are saying makes sense.

I don't see enough here to lead me to believe the book has been trimmed.

You do appear to have some minor tears at the staples, which could cause some shifting of the cover and interior. 

What I try to keep in mind these days is that pressing a book can often make it appear a bit unusual and make one think that something else has been done to it...  hm

On 12/29/2021 at 12:11 PM, The Lions Den said:

You do appear to have some minor tears at the staples, which could cause some shifting of the cover and interior. 

What I try to keep in mind these days is that pressing a book can often make it appear a bit unusual and make one think that something else has been done to it...  hm

Thank you.  Honestly, I don’t know if this books has been pressed.  I definitely didn’t do it.  It’s certainly possible.

Edited by DocHoppus182
Grammar

On 12/28/2021 at 10:36 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

Thank you.  I know it’s tough from pics.  If I was a little more technologically sophisticated, I’d post a video.

Early SA Marvel is horrible. I had an ASM 9 from an original owner collection that I decided not to submit to CGC because it "looked" trimmed... even though I knew without a doubt it was untouched. Sometimes a book deemed "trimmed" and garners a PLOD is actually not trimmed. It's primarily opinion driven. One thing many don't consider with these things is that a 100% assurance for or against trimming is complicated, because ALL comics are trimmed as a part of the production process .... GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 12/29/2021 at 7:44 PM, jimjum12 said:

Early SA Marvel is horrible. I had an ASM 9 from an original owner collection that I decided not to submit to CGC because it "looked" trimmed... even though I knew without a doubt it was untouched. Sometimes a book deemed "trimmed" and garners a PLOD is actually not trimmed. It's primarily opinion driven. One thing many don't consider with these things is that a 100% assurance for or against trimming is complicated, because ALL comics are trimmed as a part of the production process .... GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

That’s the thing.  Over the years, I’ve tried to learn about spotting different things in terms of restoration.  Bad color touch is the easiest to see of course.  But trimming has always stumped me.  Drives me a little bonkers.

On 12/29/2021 at 11:06 PM, Randall Ries said:

I wonder if covers actually shrink a bit over time. Due to losing moisture in the paper. It is different stock than newsprint, I assume. Maybe that would give it a trimmed look.

That’s an interesting idea.  I hadn’t thought about that.

On 12/29/2021 at 9:11 AM, The Lions Den said:

+1 

Not trimmed. Normal production edges. 

I think it was NOT trimmed. 

Biggest thing for me (which I believe has been mentioned) is the fact that on the back, lower spine, you can see how the cover is rolled. This roll matches the fact that the top edge on the other side sticks out. Purely production here IMO. 

On 12/29/2021 at 9:03 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

That’s the thing.  Over the years, I’ve tried to learn about spotting different things in terms of restoration.  Bad color touch is the easiest to see of course.  But trimming has always stumped me.  Drives me a little bonkers.

You and everyone else, Doc...  lol

On 12/29/2021 at 11:06 PM, Randall Ries said:

I wonder if covers actually shrink a bit over time. Due to losing moisture in the paper. It is different stock than newsprint, I assume. Maybe that would give it a trimmed look.

I've seen covers shrink a bit when pressed, too...  

On 1/3/2022 at 8:16 PM, James J Johnson said:

Not pressed in the sense of "professionally", using heat, pressure, and possibly moisture. Looks completely untweaked to me.  

Cool.  I probably just got spooked by the fact that it was an ASM above G/VG.  I usually swim below VG.