• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

Well I stepped out with my brother to see Marvels, I thought it was good! The Kahn Ms Marvel is a spirited actress, although I hadn't seen the streaming, and all I know is that

Spoiler

Last I heard kamala Kahn was dead in comics 

I probably didn't get all the references, even with a captain my captain line thrown in. ???

I thoroughly got through it, very family spirited at times, and had an ending I suppose for closure to past cinema. I didn't leave wanting, I did have questions at the end, but again, I haven't seen most streaming except the 1st 2 episodes of Loki.

It felt like the early days of what I've seen of the MCU. Not a lot of forced or baffoonery. It didn't captivate as an iron man would, but then it's not THAT character so I wasn't expecting it. B or c so-called characters still can play out as interesting. None of the cgi was over the top. But I don't go into all films expecting to have my socks blown off.

True there are Blockbuster movies, but in any genre it's usually the 1st 2 or possible three in a series?

Spoiler

With all mcu trying to connect? Hitting a Blockbuster always seems silly. As does counting it out on day 2 ???

Ya there is the internet, but I'd rather pay 15$ to decide for myself, if I get tired of it then OK, but seems to me it's more energy to read all these reviews to decide? Just go watch a movie and get off my lawn lol

I say that cause it's in my heart, but I saw like 3 to 4 reviews pop up on my feed this morning at the crack of dawn!! I didn't click on them, just got digust, cause I didn't even due that when they were in the newspaper when I was kid. Just because it is on a computer, it still hits me the same. Even critics on TV as a kid, total spoilers.

Tell me all about the movie, whether you like the movie ??? To decide if I'll go see it? How is that like not seeing anything with fresh eyes? Sheesh, it's not a final exam  ??? shouldn't be that hard to know if you want to see a movie  :roflmao:

rantrant

• Administrator
On 11/10/2023 at 6:31 PM, PopKulture said:
On 11/10/2023 at 6:27 PM, paqart said:

Say that to someone who didn't have their business destroyed in the lockdown.

As has been made clear many times, this isn’t the place to address such things. Keep on point about the movie at hand. We seemed to have been allowed a fairly generous berth these past few days, but a blunt detour like this may sadly lead to us not being able to discuss the opening weekend even - good or bad.  :gossip:

@PopKulture speaks the truth.  This thread has seen enough about the pandemic and any political hints that may lure people into a political discussion.  I am not singling anyone out. Keep the discussion on topic.   The same goes for any other threads.  I do not like to have to open my toolbox, but I will if a post or string of posts cross the line.  

On 11/10/2023 at 12:31 PM, fantastic_four said:

I still love going out to the movies.  Why don't you guys?  ???

Perhaps they don't have the twins to accompany them ? :baiting: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... You said you skip DC television, but for me, Gotham and Pennyworth were a couple of my favorite shows ever.

On 11/11/2023 at 4:57 AM, jimjum12 said:

I thought the trailer looked very intriguing. I'm sure I'll love it ... I'm not intimidated by strong alpha women. GOD BLESS ...

Is that the dissatisfier with this movie - powerful women in the lead?

That must be it. Men are so silly.

(:

On 11/11/2023 at 5:46 AM, Bosco685 said:

(:

It's either that, or this place is a Mecca for people who are unable to like anything.:bigsmile: GOD BLESS...

On 11/11/2023 at 6:33 AM, jimjum12 said:

It's either that, or this place is a Mecca for people who are unable to like anything.:bigsmile: GOD BLESS...

Definitely it. Meanwhile for our listening pleasure - women with powerful vocals singing about Jesus.

I didn't know this before now

image.png.7ba56164dd0caa3abc4d818b6fa17f52.png

Following The Marvels' release in theaters (and the resolution of the Hollywood actors' strike), Loki star Tom Hiddleston finally offered up his thoughts on his wife Zawe Ashton joining the franchise. 

Speaking on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, Hiddleston joked about a potential connection between Loki Season 2 and The Marvels (which stars Ashton), "there are connections:" 

Fallon (going through Marvel fan theories): "One theory: Is there a secret connection between 'Loki' Season 2 and the film, 'The Marvels'?"

Hiddleston: "I mean, there are connections. Some secret, some not so secret... I don't klnow what the fans think the secret connection is...

Paramount of these connections is his "other half," who plays the villain Dar-Benn in the film, whom he is "very proud of:"

Fallon: "That tells me that there is no connection."

Hiddleston: "Well, my other half is in 'The Marvels,' and I'm very proud of her. So there ya go. And that's out this weekend."

Edited by Bosco685

On 11/11/2023 at 4:46 AM, Bosco685 said:

If I learned anything from streaming Barbie last night with my wife and daughter, it's that the Patriarchy is real.  And thank goodness for that because, if the movie is to be believed, it's a whole lot more fun and exciting than the stale boring sameness of the Matriarchy.  

Another thing I learned is don't be resistant to letting old ideas get re-imagined.  Because sometimes you get something really great in the re-imagining.  

Edited by Nick Furious

On 11/11/2023 at 9:45 AM, paperheart said:

Cinemascore; tied with Eternals & A-M:Q as MCU worst

image.png.54d68004ac6ff7ce64496f63dc6ec4d0.png

Eternals was meh to me... forgettable characters as far as I was concerned... Even the tag at the end was not so much a big reveal of a character but the actor that would play him.  

I found Ant Man... actually enjoyable.  The SFX were muddy and distracting at points, but I find Paul Rudd amusing.  I would sit down and watch a movie that he is in based on Rudd so I may have given it a bump above others just for that. 

On 11/11/2023 at 10:13 AM, Straw-Man said:

with over 200 reviews in, looks like it'll end barely "fresh" on rt; i'd have lost that bet.

Yeah, it took a different trajectory than normal.  Most films when the initial reviews come in that is typically the highest it goes (The Marvels landed at like 55% when it first dropped) and then it goes down from there.  This one started at 55 then went to 61 then back down to 59 then back up to 62.  I'm not saying anything nefarious was done (also not saying it wasn't) but that isn't how a typical movie tracks.  Now on the flip side the "Verified Audience" rating is looking a bit gamed to me.  It started at 85% and has stayed at 85%.  Almost like that one Star Wars movie @Bosco685 posts from time to time.  That will be something to watch over the next few days.

Edited by media_junkie

On 11/10/2023 at 2:19 PM, Dr. Balls said:

As it sits, Marvels will make zero dollars from me now, and it will make fractions of dollars when it streams two months from now. They could have made $30 from me tomorrow night, but they’re leaving that on the table because they can’t predict how many times I will do that in the future. Welcome to my world, Disney - savor the flavor of the unpredictable customer’s spending habits. 

Pre-pandemic movie theatre chains had it built into their agreements with the studios that those studios would not offer new movies on streaming to compete with theaters.  That got eased a bit during the pandemic, although I think one of the big chains wouldn't budge on it, although I don't recall which one--but I'm sure Bosco would because I think he was posting about that chain here when it happened.

Now I'm not sure what the agreements are like, but my guess is they've gone back to requiring the studios to not offer blockbusters via streaming up front.  They think that what you're proposing will put them completely out of business, and that certainly makes sense to me.  My guess is that the studios think as you do and would prefer to offer both, but I doubt it's solely their decision.

On 11/10/2023 at 10:59 AM, paperheart said:

#fireFeige

So fire the only guy who's ever done what he's done.  The guy Warner Brothers has been searching for their own version of for almost two decades without success.  I had high hopes that Geoff Johns would be that guy, but I was skeptical from the start--with good reason, it turned out.  Creative types like him usually get frustrated with the business aspect of films after a while when they're relatively young like he was, so I wasn't at all surprised when he stepped down.  They never fully gave him control anyway, so I'm still not sure who to blame that on.

So, fire a one of one dude in Feige and replace him with...who?  (shrug)  Ideally it will be a superfan without writing or art creds like Feige has always been.  There was never any danger that Feige would go back to writing or drawing because he didn't have skill at that to even fall back on it like a Geoff Johns did.  That's Kathleen Kennedy's problem--she's a stellar producer, but she is NOT a content curator, nor does she appear to have much of an instinct for how to curate content and Star Wars has suffered for it.  I'm guessing Kennedy has never known who Figrin D'an is, and that's who they need curating their content--a superfan.  Pablo Hidalgo and Dave Filoni are superfans, but both are also writers so they're not ideal candidates.  They're still both the best candidates to have creative control over that content, but neither has really been given that control to date so who knows how they'd do.  hm