• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

Also - moviegoers *clearly* liked the film, above and beyond its just being a "prelude to Endgame."

How do we know?

You don't get to $425+ million domestic and $1.1+ bn. worldwide unless *a lot* of people chose to see it more than once.

That's 50%+ higher than Doctor Strange numbers and 40% higher than either Amazing Spider-Man film.

The film made more money than either of the Tom Holland films did, too. 

$425/$1.1 bn. is not "I have to show up for this film to "get" Endgame" results -- that's "I enjoyed this so much I went again" results.

15 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Not true.

When criticism of her acting and "emotional range" emerged here on the boards, I read all the comments thoughtfully - and went back to see the film in the theater a second time with those comments in mind.

Her acting fit the role perfectly, and she does indeed grow over the course of the film - including learning to visibly enjoy the full range of her powers.

I think some folks here are criticizing her supposed "lack of range" with the subtle portrayal of a female hero we've seldom seen before -- a reserved, serious Air Force test pilot -- basically, how Hal Jordan *should* have been portrayed in the Green Lantern film before some combination of writer/director/Ryan Reynolds made the film's Hal Jordan into an immature jokester.

Closest analog I can think of for the role that Captain Marvel called for was that of Linda Hamilton's Sarah Conner in T2.

Did you all think she Hamilton did a similarly sh*$t job there?

100% disagreed. I think it's awful. Completely disengaging.

I haven't seen T2 in probably 15 years. I'd have to re-watch it and get back to you. I wonder if it's on Netflix or Hulu.

11 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Also - moviegoers *clearly* liked the film, above and beyond its just being a "prelude to Endgame."

How do we know?

You don't get to $425+ million domestic and $1.1+ bn. worldwide unless *a lot* of people chose to see it more than once.

That's 50%+ higher than Doctor Strange numbers and 40% higher than either Amazing Spider-Man film.

$425/$1.1 bn. is not "I have to show up for this film to "get" Endgame" results -- that's "I enjoyed this so much I went again" results.

People like myself, and many others, see movies twice because they have multiple groups and/or a single viewing doesn't give you an opportunity to completely gauge a movie. I thought CM was okay the 1st time, and it was a little worse the 2nd viewing.

If I didn't pre-order tickets, I would not have gone a 2nd time.

And, yes, the film certainly made a ton from the Avengers tie-in. Nobody knew how she'd tie-in. Casuals didn't know who she was.

12 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

How do we know?

It is interesting when someone uses the 'MCU films must be good - look at all the money they made' and yet the same person uses the 'Heck even Transformers movies made a bunch of money - look how bad they are' point.

So now Brie Larson trended on Twitter for 6.5 hours (didn't - but love the exactness of the exaggeration) and general movie-goers as a whole loved Captain Marvel because of the box office results. Despite the MCU fanatics that went 100+ times because of the Infinity War-Endgame clear tie-in.

Even with domestic market final demographic data collected on films that made the MPAA Top 100 list each year, Captain Marvel appears to have the very same audience distribution of Male-Female ratio. So the same folks going multiple times to view other MCU films treated Captain Marvel with the same excitement. Other than the Female ratio was the third highest behind GotG Vol. 2 and Black Panther. That must be the 'clearly liked' part of the debate.

MCU_demographics01.thumb.png.e02dc8e184fbb69c9e2702c29ab21e8f.png

Edited by Bosco685

On 7/22/2020 at 1:52 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Both the director and Larson failed us

Let's not kid ourselves. The directors and Larson failed y'all by overwhelmingly succeeding at the box office. Y'all was rooting against Captain Marvel and what she represented (an eventual changing of the guard at both Marvel Comics and Marvel Studios) long before you could judge the actual merits of the film or "Brie Larson's acting."

You can say differently, but I've had enough conversations with Captain Marvel haters that I know full well the reason she's become a target for Comicsgaters and people who follow that line of thinking. A doofus associate of mine posing as a comic book fan tried to call her "tyrannical." Lol what? And so you allegedly saw it twice at the movies and didn't like it even on a second viewing. Fine. But enough people withe zero agenda loved the movie. Even some folks with an agenda approved, like a family member of mine who's an MCU fan but only saw the movie for my sake (seriously?) and came out saying it was pretty good. The movie was a success, giving Kevin Feige even more reason to eventually put Captain Marvel at "the forefront of the entire MCU."

Edited by @therealsilvermane

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

Let's not kid ourselves. The directors and Larson failed y'all by overwhelmingly succeeding at the box office. Y'all was rooting against Captain Marvel and what she represented (an eventual changing of the guard at both Marvel Comics and Marvel Studios) long before you could judge the actual merits of the film or "Brie Larson's acting."

You can say differently, but I've had enough conversations with Captain Marvel haters that I know full well the reason she's become a target for Comicsgaters and people who follow that line of thinking. A doofus associate of mine posing as a comic book fan tried to call her "tyrannical." Lol what? And so you allegedly saw it twice at the movies and didn't like it even on a second viewing. Fine. But enough people withe zero agenda loved the movie. Even some folks with an agenda approved, like a family member of mine who's an MCU fan but only saw the movie for my sake (seriously?) and came out saying it was pretty good. The movie was a success, giving Kevin Feige even more reason to put Captain Marvel at "the forefront of the entire MCU."

I didn't think it was possible to be so wrong, but, you did it.

You bring a lot of straw-man arguments to the table. They're all meaningless. They misrepresent our valid criticisms, and those talking points about "haters" have nothing to do with me/us.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

You can say differently, but I've had enough conversations with Captain Marvel haters that I know full well the reason she's become a target for Comicsgaters and people who follow that line of thinking. A doofus associate of mine posing as a comic book fan tried to call her "tyrannical." Lol what? And so you allegedly saw it twice at the movies and didn't like it even on a second viewing. Fine. But enough people withe zero agenda loved the movie. Even some folks with an agenda approved, like a family member of mine who's an MCU fan but only saw the movie for my sake (seriously?) and came out saying it was pretty good. The movie was a success, giving Kevin Feige even more reason to put Captain Marvel at "the forefront of the entire MCU."

"It's a conspiracy, man!"

nothowthisworks01.gif.3a3cf192e372bb1a53c51739a68630a5.gif

:baiting:

8 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It is interesting when someone uses the 'MCU films must be good - look at all the money they made' and yet the same person uses the 'Heck even Transformers movies made a bunch of money - look how bad they are' point.

So now Brie Larson trended on Twitter for 6.5 hours (didn't - but love the exactness of the exaggeration) and general movie-goers as a whole loved Captain Marvel because of the box office results. Despite the MCU fanatics that went 100+ times because of the Infinity War-Endgame clear tie-in.

Even with domestic market final demographic data collected on films that made the MPAA Top 100 list each year, Captain Marvel appears to have the very same audience distribution of Male-Female ratio. So the same folks going multiple times to view other MCU films treated Captain Marvel with the same excitement. Other than the Female ratio was the third highest behind GotG Vol. 2 and Black Panther. That must be the 'clearly liked' part of the debate.

MCU_demographics01.thumb.png.e02dc8e184fbb69c9e2702c29ab21e8f.png

:roflmao:

Nice Gish Gallop ya' got yourself there, man.

Literally none of the points you posted above are relevant to the fact that Captain Marvel's runaway box office success -- and positive critical reviews -- points to the obvious conclusion:

Folks liked the movie.

Yes - a movie (like Transformers) can make a bajillion dollars and still be bad. Doesn't make it the case here.

So audience demographics for this film mirrored that of other MCU movies? So what? It still outperformed a good number of MCU films (ironically, most not on your list) and blew away pre-release expectations.

So now the theory is that it was typical MCU fanboys who saw it in the theater, than apparently hated it so much that they went back to see it again (maybe with a different set of friends), this time to hate-watch heckle it MST3K, style? All the way to $1.1 bn.??

Thanks, Bosco. I needed that laugh today.

24 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Nice Gish Gallop ya' got yourself there, man.

Literally none of the points you posted above are relevant to the fact that Captain Marvel's runaway box office success -- and positive critical reviews -- points to the obvious conclusion:

Folks liked the movie.

Yes - a movie (like Transformers) can make a bajillion dollars and still be bad. Doesn't make it the case here.

So audience demographics for this film mirrored that of other MCU movies? So what? It still outperformed a good number of MCU films (ironically, most not on your list) and blew away pre-release expectations.

So now the theory is that it was typical MCU fanboys who saw it in the theater, than apparently hated it so much that they went back to see it again (maybe with a different set of friends), this time to hate-watch heckle it MST3K, style? All the way to $1.1 bn.??

Thanks, Bosco. I needed that laugh today.

Facts can be a funny thing when presented to you.

But you have clearly made that claim before when a film landed strongly at the box office, yet you disliked it. Sorry that mirror brought a chuckle - though most probably at your antics.

On 7/10/2019 at 8:46 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Umm...the Transformers sequels made *billions.*

They're still trash.

Edited by Bosco685

11 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

I have no grip against Brie and am looking forward to many female lead movies like Thor Love and Thunder and She Hulk show 

with that said Captan M sucked

least favorite MCU movie by far

How dare you besmirch this classic treasure that of course was beloved by all - it exceeded one-billion dollars (*).

* Disclaimer: Not factoring in films I strongly dislike which then will be held to a different satisfaction standard, to include wild box office success calculations which will include excessive marketing cost estimates, Metacritic predictions of doom and studio additional costs that are far from factual but of course you will have to trust in we know better than they do. By reading this post you agree to such beliefs and any exclusions will not be allowed. These terms have been reviewed and approved by Nut Jobs and Crank Cases Law Firm, LLC.

Edited by Bosco685

Films that grossed $1 billion that are just not good:

• "Live Action" The Lion King
  • Furious 7
  • Star Wars: The Last Jedi
  • Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
  • The Fate of the Furious
  • Captain Marvel
  • Transformers: Dark of the Moon
  • Transformers: Age of Extinction
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
  • Finding Dory
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

So, CM isn't alone.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus
Wrong wording.

14 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

How dare you besmirch this classic treasure that of course was beloved by all - it exceeded one-billion dollars (*).

* Disclaimer: Not factoring in films I strongly dislike which then will be held to a different satisfaction standard, to include wild box office success calculations which will include excessive marketing cost estimates, Metecritic predictions of doom and studio 

Apples and hand grenades, and you know it.

Three of the six Transformers films have Rotten Tomatoes scores of 20% or lower.

Captain Marvel's sitting at 78%.

Which is a better overall score than films including:

• Thor
  • Thor 2
  • Iron Man 2
  • Age of Ultron

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

• Furious 7
  • Captain Marvel
  • Finding Dory
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

So, CM isn't alone.

:whatthe:

But...but...some loved this film so much they went to it over 100 times. No way that has anything to do with wild behavior.

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

Apples and hand grenades, and you know it.

Three of the six Transformers films have Rotten Tomatoes scores of 20% or lower.

Captain Marvel's sitting at 78%.

Which is a better overall score than films including:

• Thor
  • Thor 2
  • Iron Man 2
  • Age of Ultron

TODAY: Big box office results and Rotten Tomatoes scores are a clear sign of satisfaction and film quality. Don't you get that?

YESTERDAY: Hey, even Transformers made a bunch of money. And who would rely on Rotten Tomatoes for a benchmark nowadays?

Such steady counterclaim debate techniques. It must be consistent with that thought process.

:insane:

9 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

• Furious 7
  • Captain Marvel