• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, ashsaytr said:

just have to say it was one of those movies that on first veiwing it was "meh" ... let it sit for awhile and watched it again... enjoyed it more the second time around :hi:

That's because Captain Marvel is a good movie. I love the other MCU flicks, but some tend to meander a bit in their complexity and get off track from the main story. Black Panther and Winter Soldier come to mind. In the end, it's all good, but there's something to be said for simplicity. Captain Marvel has a simple story. Vers is on a mission to stop the perceived bad guys, the Skrulls, but the -script flips on her. The movie sticks to this one plot line and never strays from it. Again, while I appreciate the complex storylines of Winter Soldier or Black Panther or the Avengers films, I very much enjoyed the simplicity of Captain Marvel and found it a nice non-distracting fit between the heaviness of Infinity War and Endgame.

55 minutes ago, ashsaytr said:

just have to say it was one of those movies that on first veiwing it was "meh" ... let it sit for awhile and watched it again... enjoyed it more the second time around :hi:

The sequel will probably be a much stronger contribution to the MCU than the initial release was now that she is established and had a part to play in Endgame.

But for me, I can watch Joker again before I would sit down to CM. And upon initial viewing, I thought I would never watch Joker again because of the slow mental anguish the character descends to leading to his final appearance. But then seeing it a second time, I appreciated it much more.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

The sequel will probably be a much stronger contribution to the MCU than the initial release was now that she is established and had a part to play in Endgame.

But for me, I can watch Joker again before I would sit down to CM. And upon initial viewing, I thought I would never watch Joker again because of the slow mental anguish the character descends to leading to his final appearance. But then seeing it a second time, I appreciated it much more.

well maybe its one of those I need to revisit... I seldom hate a movie (there are a few LOL) and normally after some processing I'll give it a second veiwing... Phoenix had a great performance... its possible the movie wasn't up to my expectations which at some point is generally self correcting... heck a lot of the MCU/DCU movies people are hating on I can find something I enjoyed about it, even if its just watching our heros on screen... some productions are low budget (Blinky or Batinthesun... which I highly recommend checking out on youtube... and no not affiliated) but bring something to the table... anyways I think thats the most I've said in one setting here in a very long time LOL

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Was that "Best Fight" for her media scrap(s) with the MCU's majority fandom, or...?

From the brief history of Brie that I know, Ms. Larson never scrapped online with MCU fandom or anybody else for that matter. When she was asked during an interview about her Crystal Awards speech on diversity, she simply clarified that she didn't want white male film media writers to lose their jobs, she just wanted to see more seats at the table to enable more diverse points of view on film criticism. All of the Brie/Captain Marvel hate was on YouTube, sites like CosmicBookNews, and the negative troll bombardment on Rotten Tomatoes. She never scrapped with hater fans on Twitter or Instagram which comprises her online presence. I'm not saying there wasn't a lot of hate thrown towards Captain Marvel, based mostly on an agenda of anti-feminism, but Brie never engaged.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

...I'm not saying there was a lot of hate thrown towards Captain Marvel, based mostly on an agenda of anti-feminism, but Brie never engaged.

What's your evidence...?

Takes 2 to tango. Just because she lost doesn't mean that there wasn't a 'fight'.

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

What's your evidence...?

Takes 2 to tango. Just because she lost doesn't mean that there wasn't a 'fight'.

As I have nothing better to do except my job working from home, I can attempt to cull together bits from the internet that chronicle that whole ugly matter (ugliness on the part of the hater fans, mostly) and post here later.

And Captain Marvel won. She made over a billion dollars at the box office. The attempt by the legion of trolls to tank her movie failed, and Captain Marvel will go on to take a leadership role in the future of the MCU.

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

As I have nothing better to do except my job working from home, I can attempt to cull together bits from the internet that chronicle that whole ugly matter (ugliness on the part of the hater fans, mostly) and post here later.

And Captain Marvel won. She made over a billion dollars at the box office. The attempt by the legion of trolls to tank her movie failed, and Captain Marvel will go on to take a leadership role in the future of the MCU.

You'd better find overwhelming evidence that "the majority" were fueled by "anti-feminism". I smell a lack of success on that front, though.

Captain Marvel didn't gross $1 billion based on performance. The movie can thank half of its revenue due to Infinity War.

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

When Vers takes on the Supreme Intelligence at the end of the movie, it was emotional. There wasn't really any deep emotions in Carol Danvers' final fight with the Kree StarForce. It was mostly fun.

Not sure what you think human emotion is, but, it isn't conveyed in that scene (at all).

18 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You'd better find overwhelming evidence that "the majority" were fueled by "anti-feminism". I smell a lack of success on that front, though.

Captain Marvel didn't gross $1 billion based on performance. The movie can thank half of its revenue due to Infinity War.

Is that why Ant-Man and the Wasp also made over a billion? Oh wait...

All the MCU movies, whether they make a billion or not, owe their success to the MCU label. It guarantees a decent movie and another piece of an ongoing adventure story that millions of fans care about. I'm under no pretense that Captain Marvel was a household name prior to her movie or that people flocked to see her because of her overwhelming popularity. People wanted to know who this potential Endgame saviour was and we got a nice light movie that introduces the character without distracting from the "mourning" of our fallen heroes between Infinity War and Endgame. Still, the goal of the trolls was to tank Captain Marvel's debut and they failed.

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

Is that why Ant-Man and the Wasp also made over a billion? Oh wait...

All the MCU movies, whether they make a billion or not, owe their success to the MCU label. It guarantees a decent movie and another piece of an ongoing adventure story that millions of fans care about. I'm under no pretense that Captain Marvel was a household name prior to her movie or that people flocked to see her because of her overwhelming popularity. People wanted to know who this potential Endgame saviour was and we got a nice light movie that introduces the character without distracting from the "mourning" of our fallen heroes between Infinity War and Endgame. Still, the goal of the trolls was to tank Captain Marvel's debut and they failed.

Ant-Man and the Wasp were not featured in the Infinity War post-credit scene. Did you miss that...?

21 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

What's your evidence...?

Anyway, here's clips from the media detailing the extent of Brie Larson's engagement with the hate that was thrown towards her and Captain Marvel.

161187568_Brieclarify1.thumb.PNG.558e6693d331d06a555abce2fc649c9b.PNG

1809456029_Brieclarify2.thumb.PNG.b57a49970ac9034b8814ed73074a891d.PNG

And this was the extent of Brie Larson's "engagement" with the online Captain Marvel haters. She never engaged.

5 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Anyway, here's clips from the media detailing the extent of Brie Larson's engagement with the hate that was thrown towards her and Captain Marvel.

161187568_Brieclarify1.thumb.PNG.558e6693d331d06a555abce2fc649c9b.PNG

1809456029_Brieclarify2.thumb.PNG.b57a49970ac9034b8814ed73074a891d.PNG

And this was the extent of Brie Larson's "engagement" with the online Captain Marvel haters. She never engaged.

She conceded (aka lost).

21 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

As far as proof that the online attacks against Captain Marvel and Brie Larson were fueled by anti-feminism, well that would take forever. I'd have to cull together all the YouTube videos, the articles, and social media posts long before the movie was even released which attacked Captain Marvel and Disney for allegedly pushing an agenda of feminism in a movie that nobody had seen yet, a lot of them twisting Larson's Crystal Awards speech and also citing the Her in Hero graphic from the trailers as proof that Captain Marvel would be about nothing but hardcore feminism. Of course, the online hate against Captain Marvel started long before Brie Larson came along as the character was a poster child for ComicsGate's agenda, a loose online organization which accused and attacked comics creators for allegedly forcing diversity and feminism into comics. I could repost some of those, but not sure I want to revisit that ugliness firsthand.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

26 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

As far as proof that the online attacks against Captain Marvel and Brie Larson were fueled by anti-feminism, well that would take forever. I'd have to cull together all the YouTube videos, the articles, and social media posts long before the movie was even released which attacked Captain Marvel and Disney for allegedly pushing an agenda of feminism in a movie that nobody had seen yet, a lot of them twisting Larson's Crystal Awards speech and also citing the Her in Hero graphic from the trailers as proof that Captain Marvel would be about nothing but hardcore feminism. Of course, the online hate against Captain Marvel started long before Brie Larson came along as the character was a poster child for ComicsGate's agenda, a loose online organization which accused and attacked comics creators for allegedly forcing diversity and feminism into comics. I could repost some of those, but not sure I want to revisit that ugliness firsthand.

Longer than forever. It can't be accomplished - because it isn't true.

Disney, factually, pushed a feminist agenda in Captain Marvel. No speculation is required in truth. Even the trailers hinted at it.

Fighting an agenda is not an agenda.

Retroactively applying perception prior to confirmation isn't a winning battle. I was open-minded for Captain Marvel. Disney had plans other than simply telling a story. The story suffered for it. Charisma wins in people. Save outdated messages for billboards.

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

Longer than forever. It can't be accomplished - because it isn't true.

Disney, factually, pushed a feminist agenda in Captain Marvel. No speculation is required in truth. Even the trailers hinted at it.

Fighting an agenda is not an agenda.

Retroactively applying perception prior to confirmation isn't a winning battle. I was open-minded for Captain Marvel. Disney had plans other than simply telling a story. The story suffered for it. Charisma wins in people. Save outdated messages for billboards.

This is the majority perception and opinion too, of those who were less than flattered by CM's lack of inspiring content.