• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

This random YouTuber pointed out something I didn't notice. As Monica and Kamala are fighting Dark Captain Marvel at the trailer's end, M and K appear to be switching places whenever they use their powers so they swap during the tag team fight, which is kinda cool.

On 4/11/2023 at 11:38 PM, drotto said:

The comic that was canceled again for like the 4th time last month? The comic that never moved more than like 15,000 books in a month.  Great source. 

2014 - Kelly Sue's run

Captain Marvel #1 - 44,000

Captain Marvel #2 - 28,000 

Captain Marvel #3 - 26,000

Captain Marvel #4 - 24,000 (Daredevil, also on #4 is doing 37,000 - Hulk 35,000 -  FF 33,000 - Iron Man 28,000, etc.)

Captain Marvel #5 - 23,666

Captain Marvel #6 - 21,000

On 4/11/2023 at 12:38 PM, drotto said:

The comic that was canceled again for like the 4th time last month? The comic that never moved more than like 15,000 books in a month.  Great source. 

You keep saying the Captain Marvel comic was canceled last month. Captain Marvel hasn't been canceled.

On 4/11/2023 at 1:54 PM, drotto said:

Ah, Matt McGloin at Cosmic Book News. Of course. What's happening there is that Kelly Thompson, the current writer, is ending her run as the writer at issue #50 in a few months from now. However, the Captain Marvel series will continue.

Now, Marvel Comics could decide to start a new writer's run with a new Captain Marvel #1, which is what they do with EVERY title now. For instance, Jason Aaron is ending his run as the Avengers writer this month, so next month The Avengers comic will start over with a new #1 and a new creative team. Iron Man just did that. Captain America just did that. They all do that now. I've seen no previews that Marvel Comics will start a new run of Captain Marvel instead of continuing through to #51 and beyond. Either way, Captain Marvel isn't being canceled. If anything, Marvel Comics can't cancel Captain Marvel because if they don't publish the title they will lose the copyright.

On 4/11/2023 at 9:10 AM, media_junkie said:

Oh joy, more bad humor.  $650 million tops.

I think you're ignoring the fanatics that no matter what "must protect their MCU!"

$800M with 55% from the domestic box office due to willingness to invest excess cash. And to fill their ticket stubs binders for celebrity convention meet-and-greets.

On 4/11/2023 at 2:17 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Ah, Matt McGloin at Cosmic Book News. Of course. What's happening there is that Kelly Thompson, the current writer, is ending her run as the writer at issue #50 in a few months from now. However, the Captain Marvel series will continue.

Now, Marvel Comics could decide to start a new writer's run with a new Captain Marvel #1, which is what they do with EVERY title now. For instance, Jason Aaron is ending his run as the Avengers writer this month, so next month The Avengers comic will start over with a new #1 and a new creative team. Iron Man just did that. Captain America just did that. They all do that now. I've seen no previews that Marvel Comics will start a new run of Captain Marvel instead of continuing through to #51 and beyond. Either way, Captain Marvel isn't being canceled. If anything, Marvel Comics can't cancel Captain Marvel because if they don't publish the title they will lose the copyright.

This all ignors that the printed comic industry is on life support. It is a dying industry. The days of top titles selling 300,000, 400,000, even a million copies is long gone.  The best books are around 50,000 now.  Levels that 25 years ago would mean they might be cancelled.

Look around,  today's kids do not read comics. They read Manga. 

On 4/11/2023 at 2:33 PM, drotto said:

I'm not surprised they don't read something. I am surprised they do.

I'd like to know why they read Manga. I reckon a topic for another thread or for CG. 

This all ignors that the printed comic industry is on life support. It is a dying industry. The days of top titles selling 300,000, 400,000, even a million copies is long gone.  The best books are around 50,000 now.  Levels that 25 years ago would mean they might be cancelled.

Most of them get 50,000 because of speculators and variant covers,so not 50,000 readers. Kind of sad.

I also don't blame people who read Manga over mainstream modern comics as they get much more bang for their $5.99. 

On 4/11/2023 at 1:37 PM, Prince Namor said:

2014 - Kelly Sue's run

Captain Marvel #1 - 44,000

Captain Marvel #2 - 28,000 

Captain Marvel #3 - 26,000

Captain Marvel #4 - 24,000 (Daredevil, also on #4 is doing 37,000 - Hulk 35,000 -  FF 33,000 - Iron Man 28,000, etc.)

Captain Marvel #5 - 23,666

Captain Marvel #6 - 21,000

That was back in 2014, the numbers are much more dismal now, plus that is a rapid drop off, and sad in and of itself.   A country of 330 million people, back when the MCU was at it's prime, and those are your numbers.

On 4/11/2023 at 2:55 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Most of them get 50,000 because of speculators and variant covers,so not 50,000 readers. Kind of sad.

I also don't blame people who read Manga over mainstream modern comics as they get much more bang for their $5.99. 

Just go into a book store. Manga gets a massive section, and you pay like $10 for 100 plus pages. The continuity is easy to understand, and each volume is plainly numbered in order. The graphic novel section for US comics is maybe 1/10 the size and that is being generous. 

Doesn’t matter. Comics culture is still at the top of the pop culture pyramid. Disney and WB Discovery own the two major comics lines so they can afford to keep publishing comics as they go hand in hand with the billion dollar comic book movies. Also, traditional monthly paoer comics aren’t the only way people read comics these days. TPB collections and comic book apps are also popular. 

On 4/12/2023 at 1:17 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Yep. They'll reboot it just in time for the movie. Business as usual. 

On 4/11/2023 at 1:25 PM, media_junkie said:

I can't watch anything with that Grace Randolph, her voice and inflection are like knives to my ears.  She could be sing praises or cursing it out, I still can't watch it. 

Frying pan voice.