• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2023 at 3:27 PM, Larryw7 said:

These people must be on crack. I didn't I think would love the trailer, but holy carp! That was really bad. The music, the forced attempts at humor, the juvenile characters- all of the problems with the MCU all rolled up into one crummy package. It looks like it was made for Nickelodeon.

+1

-bc

On 4/11/2023 at 3:27 PM, Larryw7 said:

These people must be on crack. I didn't I think would love the trailer, but holy carp! That was really bad. The music, the forced attempts at humor, the juvenile characters- all of the problems with the MCU all rolled up into one crummy package. It looks like it was made for Nickelodeon.

The music is “Intergalactic” by the Beastie Boys! A veritable late 90’s classic that goes without saying.

On 4/12/2023 at 2:04 AM, drotto said:

That was back in 2014, the numbers are much more dismal now, plus that is a rapid drop off, and sad in and of itself.   

That's not just Captain Marvel. That's for all comics. 

And how do we know its more dismal? They no longer release those numbers. Digital has exploded and we can't see those numbers either...

On 4/12/2023 at 2:04 AM, drotto said:

A country of 330 million people, back when the MCU was at it's prime, and those are your numbers.

When looked at just from the perspective of population, sure. But there are a great deal more factors involved. 

1970 - 203 Million people - ASM 322,000 paid circulation.

There are ONLY 125 different titles published each month. 

Competition: Movies, TV... Magazines? Go outside and play?

2023 - 326 Million people - ASM 91,697 from Diamond's Jan 2019 list

There are over 800 different titles published each month (includes variant covers)

Competition: Movies, SUPERHERO Movies, HD TV, HD SUPERHERO shows on TV, Video Games, HAND HELD Video Games, Games on your PHONE, Superhero Video Games, Manga, Facebook, Instagram, Tik Tok, the Freaking Internet...

Given all of that... is Spidey's publishing decline really all that bad?

Because there's more.

Let's add to it a speculator market that crashed in the 90's that left a bad taste in people's mouths, a publisher who is  clobbering the market with worthless variant covers (simply to try and spike sales - not for any creative reasons whatsoever), a constant rebooting of the book, a lack of regular, consistent creators who aren't over-editorialized (i.e. that keep repeating the same nonsense), a cheaper alternative in waiting for the TPB, over merchandizing of the local comic book shop (soooooo much product on the shelves), very LITTLE newsstand presence for up and coming readers...

Yeah... the numbers went down, didn't they? 

Looking at it from that perspective, it kinda makes sense. 

Oh. And I didn't even include the PRICE increase. 

Edited by Prince Namor

On 4/11/2023 at 3:46 PM, Bosco685 said:

Sorry. No British accent. Don't trust him!

:canofworms:

Oh the misogynistic British accent anti-woke ‘get back in the kitchen woman!’ YouTubers are out in full force on this now. They’re just the worst though…

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 4/11/2023 at 3:37 PM, Prince Namor said:

That's not just Captain Marvel. That's for all comics. 

And how do we know its more dismal? They no longer release those numbers. Digital has exploded and we can't see those numbers either...

When looked at just from the perspective of population, sure. But there are a great deal more factors involved. 

1970 - 203 Million people - ASM 322,000 paid circulation.

There are ONLY 125 different titles published each month. 

Competition: Movies, TV... Magazines? Go outside and play?

2023 - 326 Million people - ASM 91,697 from Diamond's Jan 2019 list

There are over 800 different titles published each month (includes variant covers)

Competition: Movies, SUPERHERO Movies, HD TV, HD SUPERHERO shows on TV, Video Games, HAND HELD Video Games, Games on your PHONE, Superhero Video Games, Manga, Facebook, Instagram, Tik Tok, the Freaking Internet...

Given all of that... is Spidey's publishing decline really all that bad?

Because there's more.

Let's add to it a speculator market that crashed in the 90's that left a bad taste in people's mouths, a publisher who is  clobbering the market with worthless variant covers (simply to try and spike sales - not for any creative reasons whatsoever), a constant rebooting of the book, a lack of regular, consistent creators who aren't over-editorialized (i.e. that keep repeating the same nonsense), a cheaper alternative in waiting for the TPB, over merchandizing of the local comic book shop (soooooo much product on the shelves), very LITTLE newsstand presence for up and coming readers...

Yeah... the numbers went down, didn't they? 

Looking at it from that perspective, it kinda makes sense. 

Oh. And I didn't even include the PRICE increase. 

Brainiac.

On 4/11/2023 at 3:30 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

The music is “Intergalactic” by the Beastie Boys! A veritable late 90’s classic that goes without saying.

I saw the Beasties Boys in concert in 1985, so I know the song.  It doesn't work for the trailer and makes the movie look like it was made for teeny boppers.

Edited by Larryw7

On 4/11/2023 at 6:09 PM, media_junkie said:

They didn't come out to save Ant Man 3.

I still contend that Captain Marvel 1 was an $800ish million film (Wonder Woman 1 level).  It got the boost because of the Avengers Infinity end credits and the fact it was out like a couple months before the end of the 10 year saga Avengers Endgame.

I am confident that Disney/Marvel Studios is in for a wake up call with this Captain Marvel 2 movie.  It is going to fall off a cliff from the sales of CM1.  

This is an accurate statement (which will be contested soon enough - naturally).

:nyah:

On 4/11/2023 at 6:09 PM, media_junkie said:

They didn't come out to save Ant Man 3.

I still contend that Captain Marvel 1 was an $800ish million film (Wonder Woman 1 level).  It got the boost because of the Avengers Infinity end credits and the fact it was out like a couple months before the end of the 10 year saga Avengers Endgame.

I am confident that Disney/Marvel Studios is in for a wake up call with this Captain Marvel 2 movie.  It is going to fall off a cliff from the sales of CM1.  

I thought Ant-Man 3 was Marvel's wake up call. I guess every movie is going to be a wake up call? Because by all rights, Paul Rudd being the biggest action star on the planet, QuAntuMania should have made 2 billion dollars.

On 4/11/2023 at 6:37 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I thought Ant-Man 3 was Marvel's wake up call. I guess every movie is going to be a wake up call? Because by all rights, Paul Rudd being the biggest action star on the planet, QuAntuMania should have made 2 billion dollars.

Had the Marvels not started filming until after they saw the box office for Ant Man 3, then yes I would agree that it was the wake up call, but kind of hard for the studio to make significant changes to "The Marvels" at this late date without pushing this movie out yet again (which would speak volumes about the lack of quality).

And if you really think Paul Rudd/Ant-Man can carry a 2 billion movie you are seriously drinking the MCU Kool-aid.  Paul Rudd (while I find him funny) is a mid-level actor at best.  The crime was Marvel Studios spending so freaking much on an Ant-man movie, when they had 2 previous ones that were "average" returns at best.