• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Tax Reporting ($600 Threshold per year) and Consignments
21 21

587 posts in this topic

I'm sorry but that reminds me of the corner boys lamenting that the cops aren't going after the big fish and picking on them.   Defending illegal activity by attacking legal ones certainly is a great argument to make. What is really weird is if people took the time to learn what they can legally deduct, they would end up paying less but it is just easier to go on the web to person_without_enough_empathy instead of using the same tools to  educate themselves.

I'm not sure when doing the right thing for the sake of it being the right thing went out of style, but I'm glad I'm out of step with the rest of you. Shall we all ignore the laws we find inconvenient?  No one likes taxes, but everyone expects someone to be on the other end when you call 911. No one likes taxes, but then they get upset when their kids are using 1970s tech in their classrooms. 

On 1/5/2022 at 12:05 PM, AGGIEZ said:

Not all of us agree said rules are "the right thing". I think the federal gov should keep their hands out of our pockets as much as possible and spend the money they do take a hell of alot more efficiently. I'd rather handle the stuff you mention locally...not federally.

Which other laws do you think we should ignore? Speed limits? Stop signs? 

On 1/5/2022 at 12:04 PM, lizards2 said:

If 100% of the laws were enforced in this country, 90% of the citizenship would be in jail. You can't wiggle in modern life with out violating something.

You're just assuming that anyone that doesn't agree with your purposeful obtuseness is a tax cheat or criminal. Simply not the case.

My sadness about the current state of affairs (not just about any new tax situation, but that certainly has an impact) is the burden current conditions are having on the poor and lower-middle class

What law did you break today? Yesterday? Tomorrow?  What utter nonsense that you can't live without breaking a law that will land you in jail. 

Well, driving too fast, not crossing the street at the sidewalk, spitting in public, the list goes on.  There are so many federal, state, and local laws that it's A) impossible for anyone to understand them as they are written in legalize and B) remember them all.  I would guess that just about everyone breaks laws on a daily basis. 

On 1/5/2022 at 6:16 PM, JJ-4 said:

Well, driving too fast, not crossing the street at the sidewalk, spitting in public, the list goes on.  There are so many federal, state, and local laws that it's A) impossible for anyone to understand them as they are written in legalize and B) remember them all.  I would guess that just about everyone breaks laws on a daily basis. 

You forgot the “land you in jail” part. 

On 1/5/2022 at 5:16 PM, JJ-4 said:

How many times did you spit in public today?   What laws did you break today that could end you in jail?

On 1/5/2022 at 7:16 PM, JJ-4 said:

None of which are punishable by jail except in connection with aggravating circumstances

On 1/5/2022 at 4:22 PM, shadroch said:

What law did you break today? Yesterday? Tomorrow?  What utter nonsense that you can't live without breaking a law that will land you in jail. 

exceeded the speed limit this morning, ran a light and I am sure I failed to come to a complete stop at several intersections so pretty much a typical day