• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Tax Reporting ($600 Threshold per year) and Consignments
21 21

587 posts in this topic

On 1/5/2022 at 8:22 AM, shadroch said:

For every person who doesn't pay their fair share, there are a dozen honest people who have to pick up their slack.

And I would like to say just one thing to all of those honest people.

THANKS ! ! !

Sadly, prices are going to go up to account for this. My guess next year when most discover they owe taxes on their used, already taxed goods.  The fun in treasure hunting will lose its glow as more “little guys” decide its just not worth the hassle to list things...or the deal they would’ve offered is no longer feasible.  

On 1/7/2022 at 6:02 AM, This is Who We Are said:

Sadly, prices are going to go up to account for this. My guess next year when most discover they owe taxes on their used, already taxed goods.  The fun in treasure hunting will lose its glow as more “little guys” decide its just not worth the hassle to list things...or the deal they would’ve offered is no longer feasible.  

My God, do you mean people will have to factor their expenses into their prices? That is too radical an idea. How will any business be expected to survive if they have to pay taxes on their profits. That is clearly not what our Founding Fathers intended.

Tax them, not us. Leave the good guys alone.

On 1/7/2022 at 11:31 AM, namisgr said:

As to whether your net profits on comic book sales are considered 'income' or 'collectibles gain' is a subject of confusion to this hobbyist.  And the difference in the tax rate between the two can be substantial.

You are only selling your personal collection and have held the item over 1 year: collectibles gain

You are only selling your personal collection and have held it less than 1 year: ordinary income

You are buying and selling books regularly for profit, regardless of holding period: ordinary income

On 1/7/2022 at 12:56 PM, rsouxlja7 said:

You are only selling your personal collection and have held the item over 1 year: collectibles gain

You are only selling your personal collection and have held it less than 1 year: ordinary income

You are buying and selling books regularly for profit, regardless of holding period: ordinary income

Yep.  For retirees no longer collecting salary and in an income bracket lower than the 28% charged for collectibles gains, it encourages flipping books in 12 months or less.

Edited by namisgr
typo

On 1/7/2022 at 12:10 PM, KPR Comics said:

Just for clarity, income tax does not equal sales tax.

That's why I'm in the process of moving all my inventory to consignment... they collect sales tax for 50 different states, which is more than I care to do anymore... talk about a headache. They also ship and cover guarantees.  Oddly enough, out of all the States, my sales to people in my own state is maybe 1 % of my total sales over the last decade... so this used to be negligible. Back issue availability has been strong in my area for decades, which is part of the reason I went to the internet to sell in the first place. As was said before, Internet sales have burgeoned and for our elected officials to continue giving it a free pass is negligent. The writing has been on the wall for a while now. 

One plus, is that if you get your resale license and become a business, you can put your license on record at the places you buy from and avoid paying sales tax for your purchases.... this can be in the neighborhood of $ 100 saved from every $ 1000. It's a significant advantage. 

A Business License around here costs $ 50 for up to (... IIRC) $ 50,000 in gross sales, then more as sales increase, so it's well worth it. The only caveat is you have to make a profit in 3 out of every 5 years. 

Edited by jimjum12

On 1/2/2022 at 4:43 PM, WoWitHurts said:

This is true but it is up to the person filing to keep detailed records. I imagine you will file the 1099-k as misc. income with a 1099-k offset. I hate that they complicate everything. There has to be an better/easier way.

Oh there is! But that would put tens of thousands of accountants, tax-preparers, advisors and lawyers out of work and unable to pay their lobbyists. 

On 1/7/2022 at 12:01 PM, namisgr said:

Yep.  For retirees no longer collecting salary and in an income bracket lower than the 28% charged for collectibles gains, it encourages flipping books in 12 months or less.

That is a somewhat perverse incentive that I hadn't thought about before.