• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

marvel spotlight 5 interior liner shifted?
2 2

7 posts in this topic

I purchased an MS5 recently, and when I got it in the mail today i saw that the interior liner cgc puts inbetween the cover and interior pages shifted so its now visible (it wasnt like that in the auction photos). The seller says it most likely shifted during shipping,  but is also being  very responsive and offering a refund if I am unhappy. Before i decide what to do,  I had a few questions i was hoping people may know the answers to:

1. what exactly is this sheet?

2. has anyone had any experience with something like this happening? is it a cause for concern or a fairly common occurence?

3. any way to get it to slide back without opening and reslabbing? I suppose i could try tapping it to go back in place, but I am hesitant bacause i dont enjoy hitting my books againt a hard surface, haha

E13907AC-E0E2-4F38-8C98-4BA7556402EB.jpeg

Edited by skyline23

It's microchamber paper, meant to absorb some of the harmful things the paper puts off over time (keeping those white pages white).
Not really a cause for concern beyond aesthetics.
Never tried coaxing one back into place, maybe some others have suggestions here but probably would require reslabbing.

If I had that for my personal collection, it would not bother me at all.  As far as I am concerned, I have an MS 5 in 8.0, and happy to have it.  It's protected in a case, too.  Good enough. 

If you are going to flip it, maybe a different story.

If you can get the seller to rebate you some money for a reholder, that would be good.  You can do that now, or just keep the funds until a later time when you decide to reholder it.

You could also try storing it upside down for a period of time to see if gravity corrects the problem for you.

On 1/3/2022 at 5:08 PM, skyline23 said:

1. what exactly is this sheet?

2. has anyone had any experience with something like this happening? is it a cause for concern or a fairly common occurence?

3. any way to get it to slide back without opening and reslabbing? I suppose i could try tapping it to go back in place, but I am hesitant bacause i dont enjoy hitting my books againt a hard surface, haha

1. Micro-chamber paper.
  2. No cause for concern. I have had this happen, and been able to lightly tap the slab so that it gets back into place.
  3. You could carefully tap the book closer to the bottom edge, or try to get the paper moving back up. As long as you're not throwing the slab on a table to try moving the contents, you should be okay. Avoid any of the components hitting the outer edge of the inner well.

thanks for all the responses...I don't plan to sell this copy any time soon, but say my OCD gets the best of me and I want to get it "fixed". Would this just be considered a reholder? Or would CGC  regrade this book, where I would run  risk of having my 8.0 or White page designation changed?  

You could just send it in for reholdering, and likely it would not be regraded. 

Still not cheap, shipping both ways ($30-$50 total), $5 admin charge (I think), Reholder fee of $20 if the value is under $1000, or $50 if over, turnaround time of 95 or 105 days (which can change during the 95 or 105 days)

CGC's policy is to reholder without regrading unless they suspect that something happened to the comic after grading.  That would be something like the case was cracked, indicating the comic took a sharp blow.  Or if it had obvious shaken comic syndrome.

From the "CGC Services & Fees" page: A comic book in a CGC holder is encapsulated in a new CGC holder. The grade assigned to the book should not change, unless any damage occurred post-encapsulation, in which case the grade will be adjusted accordingly. To qualify, the book must still be encapsulated in its original CGC holder.