• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If a comic came out in the last 10 years and it’s not a 9.8 is it worth buying
1 1

41 posts in this topic

On 1/11/2022 at 12:41 PM, valiantman said:

Tens of thousands of sales on GPAnalysis.com show the actual selling prices, so when it says that a CGC 9.6 went from $30 to $60, no one had to compromise.  Your bias toward CGC 9.8 has you ignoring facts.  I'm certain that pointing this out will just have you doubling-down on being wrong, though, so I don't know why I bother.

I’m on GPA also, and you sound like you are basing your figures on 2021 comic sales. 

In 2018, no one cared about a 7.0 ASM300

Now all of a sudden people are buying them and you’re out here saying all grades are created equally. 

What you are arguing is in a moment in time. 

I bet you don’t even believe in global warming 

lol

On 1/11/2022 at 9:49 AM, D2 said:

I’m on GPA also, and you sound like you are basing your figures on 2021 comic sales. 

In 2018, no one cared about a 7.0 ASM300

Now all of a sudden people are buying them and you’re out here saying all grades are created equally. 

What you are arguing is in a moment in time. 

I bet you don’t even believe in global warming 

lol

Perhaps you've never met my other self... the scientist.

https://comics.gpanalysis.com/news/2021/investing-in-cgc-grade-comics-is-higher-grade-better

Is your other self as dumb as the one you play on this board?

(To everyone else reading this:  If this seems like a harsh reply, D2 joined this discussion by dismissing the data shown, claimed it was "9.8 hate", disagreed about math (again), and now has used the laughing emoji suggesting I don't even believe in global warming.  I apologize if (my) Dr. Holland's response as a scientist seems inappropriate but my other reaction was to go full Swamp Thing.)

Edited by valiantman

On 1/10/2022 at 8:33 AM, valiantman said:

"We" ("members of this message board") have been hearing that CGC 9.8 for modern age books is ("CGC 9.8 is") the only grade that makes any sense as an investment for about 20 years (on this message board).

I'm sorry if you don't feel comfortable with my correct use of pronoun and verb. :kidaround:

I'm not sure what you'd like to see, but the counts for all of the CGC Census can be seen at CGCdata.com - with totals by grade on this page (give it a few seconds to load, it's compiling 20+ years of historical data): http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/totals/

As you can see, there are nearly 3,000,000 books which have been CGC graded 9.8.

There are more than 25,000 books CGC graded 9.9 and another 7,000+ which are CGC 10.

Eniac #1 by Bad Idea has a high quality glossy and stiff cover which holds up well against damage.  There are 73 copies in CGC 9.9 condition and a single CGC 10.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/isolateid/238259

When the cover is nearly indestructible, very high CGC grades can be seen in very high quantities. 

Batman Damned #1 (2018) has more than 1,000 copies graded CGC 9.9 or CGC 10.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/isolateid/5007265

So the same company that paid for nonsensical grades on blank slabs somehow got 73 9.9s and a 10.0?

On 1/11/2022 at 10:03 AM, shadroch said:

So the same company that paid for nonsensical grades on blank slabs somehow got 73 9.9s and a 10.0?

What's DC Black Label's excuse?  CGC 9.8 on a Black Label book is basically low grade. lol

On 1/11/2022 at 9:48 AM, ThothAmon said:

9.8’s have a definite sales panache but the money from 9.6’s, albeit at a substantially lower profit, is just as green. 

Exactly.  As an added bonus, if you buy a single CGC 9.8 and you sell it for a 50% profit, you have the money but no longer have that book in your collection.

But if you buy three CGC 9.6 (for the price of one CGC 9.8) and sell two of the CGC 9.6 for more than 50% profit, you have better returns and also still have that book in your collection.

There are many reasons that CGC 9.8 isn't the best choice.  But if someone just has to have a CGC 9.8, as an investment, not just because they collect comics... then whatever floats their boat.

I wouldn't take investment advice from people whose sole criteria is that "9.8 is purtier."

Edited by valiantman

On 1/11/2022 at 12:53 PM, valiantman said:

Perhaps you've never met my other self... the scientist.

https://comics.gpanalysis.com/news/2021/investing-in-cgc-grade-comics-is-higher-grade-better

Is your other self as dumb as the one you play on this board?

(To everyone else reading this:  If this seems like a harsh reply, D2 joined this discussion by dismissing the data shown, claimed it was "9.8 hate", disagreed about math (again), and now has used the laughing emoji suggesting I don't even believe in global warming.  I apologize if (my) Dr. Holland's response as a scientist seems inappropriate but my other reaction was to go full Swamp Thing.)

Well, The Scientist

I hate to point out the fact that everything you are stating is wrong, but I’m glad you are feeling confident in yourself. 

1) Modern comics are not even the discussion in the article you listed. 

2) The reason why lower grade books sell more and are more relevant in golden age, silver age, Bronze Age, and yes, copper age… I had to spell it all out for you, is because everyone knows grades in older books were less common due to the environment of collectors, keepsakes, and general manufacturing. 

3) Advising yourself as The Scientist is false labelling to advocate yourself as an expert in something you clearly only have an opinion in  

So yes, in Modern era of comics, 9.8 is king. 

Even your coveted ASM300, isn’t even a modern book. 

Your argument against, isn’t even relevant. Youre bringing in facts about something entirely unrelated to the topic. 

But go ahead, call yourself a scientist. 

Edited by D2

On 1/11/2022 at 10:23 AM, D2 said:

Well, The Scientist

I hate to point out the fact that everything you are stating is wrong, but I’m glad you are feeling confident in yourself. 

1) Modern comics are not even the discussion in the article you listed. 

2) The reason why lower grade books sell more and are more relevant in golden age, silver age, Bronze Age, and yes, copper age… I had to spell it all out for you, is because everyone knows grades in older books were less common due to the environment of collectors, keepsakes, and general manufacturing. 

3) Advising yourself as The Scientist is false labelling to advocate yourself as an expert in something you clearly only have an opinion in  

So yes, in Modern era of comics, 9.8 is king. 

1) I used the most submitted CGC book of all time... a modern... to establish the whole article.

2) "Everyone knows" is always a statement that means "I, personally, have no idea what everyone knows, but I will pretend I do."  Congrats, you pretended well.

3) I said I was "a scientist" and I agree that everyone who says they are "a scientist" is not necessarily a scientist unless they have a Ph.D. in science.  Mine's on the wall.

Does "D1" have anything to add, because "D2" is wasting a lot of time and energy in this topic.

Edited by valiantman

On 1/11/2022 at 10:23 AM, D2 said:

Even your coveted ASM300, isn’t even a modern book. 

I think I'll submit an ASM #300 to CGC.  Let me see what I should submit as... oh, lookie there, a MODERN.

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/cgc-grading/

Modern (1975 - Present)

The. Most. Submitted. Modern. Of. All. Time.

Edited by valiantman

On 1/11/2022 at 1:26 PM, valiantman said:

1) I used the most submitted CGC book of all time... a modern... to establish the whole article.

2) "Everyone knows" is always a statement that means "I, personally, have no idea what everyone knows, but I will pretend I do."  Congrats, you pretended well.

3) I said I was "a scientist" and I agree that everyone who says they are "a scientist" is not necessarily a scientist unless they have a Ph.D. in science.  Mine's on the wall.

Does "D1" have anything to add, because "D2" is wasting a lot of time and energy in this topic.

Sure. Go ahead lol  

Keep buying your ASM300, a Copper Age book disguised as a Modern in your eyes to prove a point, with an article that uses only books from the 60s and 70s to discuss grading prices. 

I highlighted clear points you avoided. 

So you won’t get any respect points. 

You should take the photocopy off the wall if you’re not going to use it 

On 1/11/2022 at 10:31 AM, D2 said:

Sure. Go ahead lol  

Keep buying your ASM300, a Copper Age book disguised as a Modern in your eyes to prove a point, with an article that uses only books from the 60s and 70s to discuss grading prices. 

I highlighted clear points you avoided. 

So you won’t get any respect points. 

You should take the photocopy off the wall if you’re not going to use it 

Pathetic.

Principal Skinner's "Pathetic" | Know Your Meme

Keep hiding, keyboard jockey.

On 1/11/2022 at 10:33 AM, D2 said:

And this is the example in your article 

511CFDE1-5086-442E-AC4B-2E36D755155B.png

Exactly, the article says "9.8 isn't the best investment for modern" and "higher grade isn't always the best investment for other eras".

You've proven my point with my tables from my article.

I think I'll award all the points to me.

On 1/11/2022 at 1:35 PM, valiantman said:

Exactly, the article says "9.8 isn't the best investment for modern" and "higher grade isn't always the best investment for other eras".

You've proven my point with my tables from my article.

I think I'll award all the points to me.

These aren’t moderns. 

Are you okay? 
Seriously. 

You’re really struggling with this

Edited by D2

On 1/11/2022 at 10:35 AM, D2 said:

These aren’t moderns. 

Are you okay? 
Seriously. 

You’re really struggling with this

I used ASM #300 - the most submitted book of all time - a MODERN (1975-present) by CGC's DEFINITION as the basis for the article (Is 9.8 for modern always better?)

Then, I studied the most popular Silver Age books of all time for the article (Is higher grade always a better investment?)

You're the one struggling with reading comprehension. 

I also asked you to give me a better example of moderns where 9.8 is the best investment and your response was "any book any year". 

Let me go check out your expert suggestion of "any book any year" and see what I can find.  Just hold your breath until I'm back.

On 1/11/2022 at 1:40 PM, valiantman said:

I used ASM #300 - the most submitted book of all time - a MODERN (1975-present) by CGC's DEFINITION as the basis for the article (Is 9.8 for modern always better?)

Then, I studied the most popular Silver Age books of all time for the article (Is higher grade always a better investment?)

You're the one struggling with reading comprehension. 

I also asked you to give me a better example of moderns where 9.8 is the best investment and your response was "any book any year". 

Let me go check out your expert suggestion of "any book any year" and see what I can find.  Just hold your breath until I'm back.

Lol sure man 

Just do us all a favour and please don’t pull up any Valiant books. 

On 1/11/2022 at 10:40 AM, valiantman said:

Not that I disagree with your main points in this thread, but the Modern you're referencing is a CGC grading tier, which has nothing to do with defining comic ages, even at CGC. This thread is specifically about comics from the past decade, which are part of the Modern comic age, but not all of which are eligible to be submitted under CGC's Modern tier.

For what it's worth, when I got back into collecting (and was brand new to graded books), I independently came to the same conclusion as what @valiantman is saying when it came to diversifying my spending. I saw the notion from a lot of people and "industry experts" that 9.8 was always king, but I noticed that you could spend less on books under a 9.8 and often realize a greater percentage return. As a hypothetical example, I figured that if I had $1,000 to spend, I could get one 9.8 that might see a 20% increase, or four different 9.4s with the potential for a cumulative 40% increase - plus, if the one 9.8 dipped then my whole investment dipped, but if one or two of the 9.4s under performed, I was diversified to protect against it.

A couple of caveats - it can be very dependent on the specific book, and you do actually have to sell to realize the profits if you're investing, otherwise it's all just navel-gazing. In reality, a lot of my graded books are in my "not gonna sell 'em" personal collection or are at least long-term holds for me because I like owning them. Buying and selling (for me) is almost all raws to fund my collection. But even for the PC, it made sense to me to buy the multiple different very nice copies and not chase 9.8s, so that way I can afford a lot of different books I want.

None of what I'm saying is gospel, obviously - it works for me though, and it's just to say I have experienced what @valiantman is saying about 9.8 vs. other grades.

On 1/11/2022 at 8:50 AM, D2 said:

I just always find this conversation interesting because people come out of the woods to argue against getting 9.8s…

mainly because they are expensive. 

But,

When people buy the book they want, what do they inevitably do?

Upgrade. Upgrade the grade. 

Oh, I have a 9.2, searching for a 9.4 or higher… etc etc. 

So, whatever you hear and whatever people show you and tell you, make no mistake. 

If you don’t buy a 9.8 now, you will want one later. 

So…

I don't.  I love my 9.4s

giphy.gif?cid=5e21488679dbkpagdpktmd6eu4

Look I want to be clear about the topic. It’s the last ten years. So say 2011’z

if I had to pick a book to show why I want it at 9.8 then it’s gonna be Ultimate Fallout 4. The variant of the book is another discussion. And I don’t want “graffiti” aka signatures or remarks in the mix.

I’ve bought some 9.6 and they ain’t as hot 🔥 even thought the book is 🥵 hot.

the difference in a grader matters to. 
CGC is the preferred choice.

doesn’t mean they are the best. Sometimes I think they cause defects well CCS might, who knows?

Hopefully tonnes of people enter the CGC grading comp so they have some comparable results to what they think stuff is graded at.

If there are significant differences then CGC should take note because some people on this chat or elsewhere have probably been grading longer than the slave labour workers at CGC for $15 an hour…

thanks