• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else over the Promise Collection?
6 6

235 posts in this topic

On 1/26/2022 at 4:11 PM, MrBedrock said:

In this discussion one size does not fit all, but many who have an issue with some of the Promise books (either grading, pricing, or in this case dust shadows) apply those feelings to all of the Promise books.

Yeah, sounds like a fair assessment

I hate dust shadows.  I hate sun shadows more (at least a dust shadow might be cleanable with responsible conservation techniques whereas fading cannot).  IMHO both of those "shadows" often result in a significant and distracting deterioration in the quality of the art being viewed.  I would not buy fine art with such shadows, nor would any museum.  So I don't understand why a huge shadow down one side of a book gets a bigger pass than a much much smaller tiny tear easily sealable with a reversible conservation technique.  

It is one of the attitudes that makes me believe the comic market could learn some from the fine art market.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 1/26/2022 at 4:12 PM, sfcityduck said:

I hate dust shadows.  I hate sun shadows more (at least a dust shadow might be cleanable with responsible conservation techniques).  IMHO both of those "shadows" result in a significant and distracting deterioration in the quality of the art being viewed.  I would not by fine art with such shadows, nor would any museum.  So I don't understand why a huge shadow down one side of a book gets a bigger pass than a much much smaller tiny tear easily sealable with a reversible conservation technique.  

It is one of the attitudes that makes me believe the comic market could learn a lot from the fine art market.

Maybe the problem is with you.

On 1/26/2022 at 2:14 PM, MrBedrock said:

Maybe the problem is with you.

Could be.  Certainly I'm out of step with a number of comic collectors.  But, attitudes can change, and I think ultimately some of the traditional notions might fade away.

On 1/26/2022 at 2:11 PM, MrBedrock said:

In regards to the color and level of preservation of the Promise Collection I can't see how a dust shadow matters. Those are totally separate criteria for evaluating a book. Otherwise it really is up to each person's preference whether a dust shadow bothers them. I have books with dust shadows in my collection that I have paid many multiples of guide for. Try finding a nice Adventure 61. In this discussion one size does not fit all, but many who have an issue with some of the Promise books (either grading, pricing, or in this case dust shadows) apply those feelings to all of the Promise books.

adventure61.jpg

superman9.jpg

national19.jpg

morefun70.jpg

fightingyank6.jpg

Hideous.  
Also, mods notified.

On 1/26/2022 at 4:17 PM, sfcityduck said:

Could be.  Certainly I'm out of step with a number of comic collectors.  But, attitudes can change, and I think ultimately some of the traditional notions might fade away.

Or not. But I always find it disheartening when folks disparage how I value what I collect.

On 1/26/2022 at 5:20 PM, MrBedrock said:

Or not. But I always find it disheartening when folks disparage how I value what I collect.

Your stuff is too high grade. Good- is where it's at. Everything is there and I'm not trying to show off. :cool:

On 1/26/2022 at 4:44 PM, Ryan. said:

Your stuff is too high grade.

Is this even possible?

On 1/26/2022 at 5:52 AM, William-James88 said:

Holy Dust Shadow Batman

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Master Comics #66 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Fawcett Publications, 1946) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white pages....

Got this copy here on the boards for around $65. I think. Even with a good press, clean and shiny new plastic tomb, I might be just as happy as that 9.0 for pennies on the dollar...  

commaster66a.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

On 1/26/2022 at 6:15 PM, William-James88 said:

I thought the sisteen chapel's paintings were victim to oxidation, and the restoration finally showed us what the paintings originally looked like. Or are we talking about restoring a TMNT 1?

Removal of the varnish resulted in the original vibrant colors showing up for the first time in centuries.  The question was whether those varnish layers were intended by Michangelo to mute the colors or were a later add by other less talented minds.

On 1/26/2022 at 6:55 PM, adamstrange said:

Removal of the varnish resulted in the original vibrant colors showing up for the first time in centuries.  The question was whether those varnish layers were intended by Michangelo to mute the colors or were a later add by other less talented minds.

Ooouuu, that is interesting.

On 1/26/2022 at 2:20 PM, MrBedrock said:

So do I.  And that was not my intent.  As you said above, we all have our preferences.  For me, a tear should not take down the grade of a comic more than a dust or sun shadow.  It's a matter of personal opinion, not an attack.  Apologies if it came across otherwise.  Obviously, you have a many great comics that I'd love to own.  Hard to disparage your collection.

On 1/26/2022 at 5:20 PM, MrBedrock said:

I only disparage what I collect.  I don't need any more competition.

Edited by adamstrange

On 1/26/2022 at 4:03 PM, adamstrange said:

I only disparage what I collect.  I don't any more competition.

I only talk up what I got.  The things I'm still trying to get are a state secret, not to be mentioned at all, that I don't want anyone to know exists.  

Edited by sfcityduck