• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret Wars #8 OA page sells for 3.4 million, first page appearance of the black costume.
6 6

250 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2022 at 5:04 PM, MAR1979 said:

So is the owner of this jumping for joy now? Or at least have enough potential scratch to get decent scan made?

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1192109

Amazing Spider-Man 252 cover Comic Art

The owner is Eric Roberts. He is already a multimillionaire. So no, don't expect he is jumping for joy.

On 1/15/2022 at 12:16 PM, Buzzetta said:
On 1/15/2022 at 11:26 AM, Timely said:

This page doesn’t even explain how he got the black costume, it’s the page before this one that shows the origin of how Spider-Man got it. 

This book came out 7 months after the black costumes 1st appearance in May. 

Not only that, but Amazing Spider-man 258 (11/84) comes out before Secret Wars 8 (12/84).  ASM 258 is actually when he learns it's an Alien Symbiote after going to get it checked out by Reed Richards. 

Yeah, that's what I said.

On 1/15/2022 at 1:47 PM, Lazyboy said:

Yeah, that's what I said.

I feel like you and I have had this discussion before and have agreed and also pointed it out to others... probably after NYCC in October when I was looking for higher grade copies of this issue. 

It boggles my mind the attention that SW8 gets over ASM 258 and that MTU 141 gets any attention at all. 

On 1/15/2022 at 12:55 PM, Grendel72 said:

Don't think so until its officially recognised that 180 is his first full appearance. 

Sorry but 1 panel does not constitute a “full appearance” in a comic. 1st appearance yes, full appearance no!

On 1/15/2022 at 2:16 PM, Timely said:

Sorry but 1 panel does not constitute a “full appearance” in a comic. 1st appearance yes, full appearance no!

But in OA, you’re buying a page with panels.  Not the whole book.  I thought maybe the very 1st panel of Wolverine would be worth more than his second panel (ok, it’s a splash), which is really his 3rd appearance after the cover to 181.hm

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 1/13/2022 at 2:55 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I know next to nothing about OA, but that was astounding to watch.  Couple of people there with stupid money who really, really wanted that page.

OA usually goes for multiples upon multiples of comics for good reason! This seems like some people thinking ahead about MCU doing something Secret wars related down the road. Or just some scenario where Holland discovers the symbiote somehow? 

On 1/15/2022 at 12:34 PM, MGsimba77 said:

OA usually goes for multiples upon multiples of comics for good reason! This seems like some people thinking ahead about MCU doing something Secret wars related down the road. Or just some scenario where Holland discovers the symbiote somehow? 

Given that it's "one of a kind" it absolutely should go for more, assuming there are some minimum number of people with $$ that want it.

I think the symbiote is definitely going to show up in the Holland-verse.

All right All right! I had some left over "pocket change" and I ended up giving it too my friends 3 year old.  I just wish he wasn't eating chocolate when I handed it to him..Oh well! Time to find another page.

Crazy price paid for one page.  Unbelievable...literally. 

On 1/15/2022 at 12:55 PM, Grendel72 said:

Don't think so until its officially recognised that 180 is his first full appearance. 

As already pointed out, that will never happen because it isn't true, but how is that relevant when we're talking about individual pages rather than full stories? In the context of individual pages of art, it's the first Wolverine page. In the context of a full comic book, it's the only Wolverine page in IH180.

On 1/15/2022 at 1:55 PM, Grendel72 said:

I think the page 1 splash would go for more too.     That page is burned into my brain (and I suspect many people’s).   The h180 page, not so much.  

Yup. As evidenced by the price of a 181 vs 180 book. There is a premium for nostalgia that we are more willing to pay for. So regardless where and how many times Gambit appeared before, 266 will always be the prize if someone wanted his first appearance. Would be cool if the pages for 180 and 181 both come up in the same auction, then we would really know...that 181 would blow 180 out of the water.