• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret Wars #8 OA page sells for 3.4 million, first page appearance of the black costume.
6 6

250 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2022 at 12:03 PM, NoMan said:

it was kinda stupid, methinks

Yeah, it's like "you know you could own the whole comic in 9.8 with white pages for a fraction of that price, right?"  But it's a completely different market from comic books, obviously.

On 1/13/2022 at 12:07 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Yeah, it's like "you know you could own the whole comic in 9.8 with white pages for a fraction of that price, right?"  But it's a completely different market from comic books, obviously.

Wonder what Mike Zeck would think if he got wind of this hm

On 1/13/2022 at 12:09 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Wonder what Mike Zeck would think if he got wind of this hm

I don't know anything about how much artists were paid to produce these pages, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't $3.5 million.  Not sure how you could arrange a system where the artists have a stake in perpetuity for resales of OA.

That's frikkin' nuts.  I would've been stunned if the cover went for that kind of loot.  But the page????  I don't get it.  To each their own.  

Must be nice to have that kind of money.  Good for the seller (and the buyer, I guess).  

On 1/13/2022 at 12:13 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I don't know anything about how much artists were paid to produce these pages, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't $3.5 million.  Not sure how you could arrange a system where the artists have a stake in perpetuity for resales of OA.

Yeah, he was paid the going rate in the 80s I assume. Probably would never assume it would sell for this insane amount.

Nothing surprises me anymore pricewise, but not to my taste even if I were a billionaire and it was offered at 1/100th the price, but I'm guessing this has some sweet nostalgia vibes for someone around 50 years old right now, because who else really cares about the black costume that much.