• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret Wars #8 OA page sells for 3.4 million, first page appearance of the black costume.
6 6

250 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2022 at 9:23 PM, MAR1979 said:

What upsets me is Heritage made over 500k on it!

Doubt they paid the full vig.

Regardless, why? Heritage helped create a market for it and brought the buyers. Earlier in the thread someone posted a private offer of $250k for this and another page. Seller could have taken that. No buyer's premium or commission there.

On 1/13/2022 at 6:05 PM, s-man said:

Would love to know why the bidders were willing to pay so high a price.  Are they the biggest fans of Spidey/Venom ever or were just bored and had a lot of money to burn.  Personally it would take owning Supes or Batman's or the X-Men's first app. to get me to pony up that much change (wish I had it to spend :frown:).

Spider-Man will reign supreme over all superheroes 

On 1/13/2022 at 10:57 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

That's why I said personally I wouldn't.  Spidey isn't even in my top 5 superheroes that I like.

On 1/13/2022 at 7:57 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Until a high grade Detective 27 hits the market, or an original art page from an iconic Batman first appearance... oh wait, nobody sells those because they're priceless, unlike Peter Sellout... I mean Parker. :roflmao::flamethrower:

Those battling for this were two rival youtubers . The winner will be live streaming a fans only ppv shredding of the page . Then take pieces of it and sell it with a certificate of authenticity that you now own a fraction of this historical piece of art.

Or it was the House of Mouse / Sony looking for a new piece for their den, battling Rally Road.. 

On 1/14/2022 at 5:02 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Those battling for this were two rival youtubers . The winner will be live streaming a fans only ppv shredding of the page . Then take pieces of it and sell it with a certificate of authenticity that you now own a fraction of this historical piece of art.

Or it was the House of Mouse / Sony looking for a new piece for their den, battling Rally Road.. 

It's content for my OnlyFans. 

On 1/13/2022 at 7:33 PM, catman76 said:

If the artist is alive and you sell their art and you don't give them a huge chunk of what you made from selling it then you are a huge A-S-S-H-O-L-E

A greed!  That's why I only buy and sell original art by deceased artists!  (:

Edited by Coverless 9.8
Correction

I can't even wrap my head around the hammer price on this, maybe it's because I don't have nearly the same amount of :censored: you money..

I'd love to know if this was investment speculation or the person really loves black spandex Spidey. Each day that passes collecting these old pieces of paper becomes a little less affordable for the everyday person.

On 1/13/2022 at 7:53 PM, Randall Dowling said:

People can shrug about Mike Zeck and how he feels about this but I guarantee this wasn't a great day for him.  Realizing that you sold something for hundreds that became worth millions, even 35 years later, feels bad. 

On 1/13/2022 at 9:23 PM, MAR1979 said:

What upsets me is Heritage made over 500k on it!

On 1/13/2022 at 10:50 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Why does it upset you?

HA helped the seller achieve $2M more than he would have if he sold via another venue

On 1/13/2022 at 10:53 PM, Shrevvy said:

Doubt they paid the full vig.

Regardless, why? Heritage helped create a market for it and brought the buyers. Earlier in the thread someone posted a private offer of $250k for this and another page. Seller could have taken that. No buyer's premium or commission there.

:facepalm:... it appears you two did not look close enough at the context of my post in your frenzied rushed to defend your overlord Heritage :)

If you look at the quoted post in my response, the context should be more clear. To expand on it from the original one-liner; What upset's me is that Heritage made 500K or so and Zeck still made zero.  Of course his amount must be zero unless he sold it.  But in overall grand universal scheme of things no one has to "like" it, although we do have to live with it.

Edited by MAR1979

Key pages of original art have been too expensive and unaffordable to those of us on a limited budget for quite a while. Like key back issue comics, it doesn’t surprise me that this parallel market has also gone completely mental as well.  I’m beginning to get quite numb to it all.

On 1/15/2022 at 12:39 AM, Bird said:

is that what you're doing...seeing if it will stretch?

For only $9.99 a month you can find out! Add an extra $7.99 for exclusive HOT messages just for you. Stuff like 'Oh baby I looked in your pants and saw a 9.8', and 'my bottom is a qualified 9.9. It's qualified because CGC believe it's too perfect to be a blue label.' 

I would mention something sexy about boobs, but they're getting reholdered after CGC labelled the left as right, giving me 2 righties. 9_9

On 1/14/2022 at 9:44 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Key pages of original art have been too expensive and unaffordable to those of us on a limited budget for quite a while. Like key back issue comics, it doesn’t surprise me that this parallel market has also gone completely mental as well.  I’m beginning to get quite numb to it all.

Yes, I sold one such page a few years ago, a Mazz Born Again page so I know that I may have a few here. Only 3-4 perhaps that may, MAY, attract hot action but I miss my Mazz page (sold at $5K maybe 5 years ago I made out fine from $300 purchase price, but they are hot hot hot now). Will I miss my Weapon X page, of course! But I am house hunting and middle class and I could maybe kick it up a notch by selling a few pages? Hmmm. Makes us all think.

Covers though. Should have been buying covers. But you know what, I truly have loved my art collection for 30 years now and really only wish I made a few different purchases to get that mony mony, not all different ones!!!

On 1/14/2022 at 10:16 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

How does Heritage make a commission on a book they probably bought themselves?  :insane:

Feels like a set-up 

Is Heritage about to auction the cover to Secret Wars 8 or something?hm

Fair point.There was obvious funny business with Video Games and Sports Cards last year by various Auction Houses.  They are shrewd, secretive and slippery so figuring out what the actual machinations are fall outside the current known data points available to apply to the situation.

Edited by MAR1979