• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Artists Choice

13 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2022 at 2:44 PM, Shin-Kaiser said:

Has anyone dealt with Spencer Beck from theartistschoice recently?

I emailed him about 4-5 months ago and have yet to receive a reply. What's the best way to contact him?

Thanks!

Let’s just say depending on who you talk to, trying to communicate with Spencer can be maddening. 
You are going to get more responses here that I hope are helpful. My first time contacting Spencer he was very polite. It was concerning two pages he had listed for sale for a very long time.

• His response came 3 weeks after my inquiry 

• to tell me the pages I had interest in were gone— sold long ago

Some people love Spencer and swear by him. I found him polite and his site quirky but I like quicker responses and inventory shown to be available for sale or marked sold.

Edited by grapeape

On 1/14/2022 at 5:23 PM, grapeape said:

Let’s just say depending on who you talk to, trying to communicate with Spencer can be maddening. 
You are going to get more responses here that I hope are helpful. My first time contacting Spencer he was very polite. It was concerning two pages he had listed for sale for a very long time.

• His response came 3 weeks after my inquiry 

• to tell me the pages I had interest in were gone— sold long ago

Some people love Spencer and swear by him. I found him polite and his site quirky but I like quicker responses and inventory shown to be available for sale or marked sold.

Well I'm still waiting for a response after 5 months!

His website seems to be a remnant of the 90s. Pretty sure he's not using it anymore as it must be a nightmare to update and keep track of stock...

But..I've seen collectors with new pieces from the artists he reps so he must be active to some capacity.

Spencer has been selling some repped art recently on a Facebook group called "Clan McDonald Comics and Signature Witnessing".  It's a private group so you have to request membership.  There's roughly a weekly original art claim post.

The reason a lot of longer term collectors (such as myself) like Spencer is that he's honest, he really cares about the best interests of the artists he's repping as opposed to making $ for himself and up until a few years ago, his website was fairly up-to-date and he had great holiday sales.  I've picked up a ton of art from him over the years.  However, in recent years the site has become useless, it's harder to get responses and the holiday sales have stopped.  I'm really hoping he comes to New York Comic Con in 2022 as convention appearances are by far the easiest way to do business with him now.

On 1/14/2022 at 9:35 PM, Ted_L said:

Spencer has been selling some repped art recently on a Facebook group called "Clan McDonald Comics and Signature Witnessing".  It's a private group so you have to request membership.  There's roughly a weekly original art claim post.

The reason a lot of longer term collectors (such as myself) like Spencer is that he's honest, he really cares about the best interests of the artists he's repping as opposed to making $ for himself and up until a few years ago, his website was fairly up-to-date and he had great holiday sales.  I've picked up a ton of art from him over the years.  However, in recent years the site has become useless, it's harder to get responses and the holiday sales have stopped.  I'm really hoping he comes to New York Comic Con in 2022 as convention appearances are by far the easiest way to do business with him now.

Thank you, that's extremely useful information and confirms what I had initially thought.
I'll see if I can get access to his facebook group. I absolutely loathe facebook but I don't think I'll be making it to a US based Comic Con anytime soon!

Thanks once again!

On 1/14/2022 at 4:44 PM, Shin-Kaiser said:

Thank you, that's extremely useful information and confirms what I had initially thought.
I'll see if I can get access to his facebook group. I absolutely loathe facebook but I don't think I'll be making it to a US based Comic Con anytime soon!

Thanks once again!

No problem. I should clarify that Spencer himself doesn't do the posting or communication directly on the site (although he is a member of the group).  He's teamed up with Clan McDonald Comics and they do the communications regarding billing/sales on his behalf.  I bought one page so far from this group and it all went smoothly.

On 1/14/2022 at 1:35 PM, Ted_L said:

Spencer has been selling some repped art recently on a Facebook group called "Clan McDonald Comics and Signature Witnessing". 

Spence does several live streams a week through a few sellers. 

The Clan McD is twice per week. It goes through phases of artists on spotlight. It is rare to see older artwork there. Most of it is current books with about half of the offerings either blueline or pencil only pieces.

Lots of new Bagley although that is shifting to a fair amount of Spawn in the recent streams.

On 1/14/2022 at 5:09 PM, Kohei said:

The Clan McD is twice per week. It goes through phases of artists on spotlight. It is rare to see older artwork there. Most of it is current books with about half of the offerings either blueline or pencil only pieces.

Lots of new Bagley although that is shifting to a fair amount of Spawn in the recent streams.

Do you know where else he does online shows?

On 1/14/2022 at 2:09 PM, Kohei said:

Just bought this through them. Clean purchase. All payments went through Clan McDonald.

20220121_180750.jpg