• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3rd Annual Grading Contest Round 2 (Results are In)
10 10

117 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2022 at 5:17 PM, William-James88 said:

here are the rankings now. If you do not see your name, that is because the score is negative. 

image.png.4aece77e7f1603c4e6e11b850bd26681.png

This chart is gonna be *lit* in CGC's grading contest with 350 contestants. We might all need larger monitors just to view it.

I like looking at the stats...no surprise to me, I haven't hit one on the head but I have only one negative score. Very impressed with some performances so far, look at timefinz! Never more than one grade off, that's consistency. grendelbo has more hits than anyone but more negative scores than me in 15th place! And there are some sad grading fuddermuckers out there. ???

On 1/19/2022 at 4:26 PM, Point Five said:

This chart is gonna be *lit* in CGC's grading contest with 350 contestants. We might all need larger monitors just to view it.

That's assuming all 350 are actually here in February when the contest starts and they actually submit answers.  :baiting:

That chart may actually look just like this.:roflmao:

On 1/19/2022 at 3:23 PM, Funnybooks said:

nice job guys in this second round!!

@grendelbo was waiting for you to make your splash :cheers:

Thanks.

My misses are huge this time around. Negative scores the first two rounds mean I need to be perfect for the last. 

There's tomfoolery Jedi mind tricks happening when I'm grading the GA books.

On 1/19/2022 at 5:14 PM, Croatbag said:

That crease on the 109 must have pressed well then.  It was odd, big crease but didnt really look color breaking.  I don't look at books that old often so maybe that paper works differently? Would love to see the pic when you get it back.

Oh I'll post them as soon as they come in, it will be like an encore where we all gather and discuss the grades again :) Also, good to know about the bindrey tear, I don't know how they can assess that, but it definitely helped that it was considered that way.

On 1/19/2022 at 5:31 PM, grendelbo said:

Thanks.

My misses are huge this time around. Negative scores the first two rounds mean I need to be perfect for the last. 

There's tomfoolery Jedi mind tricks happening when I'm grading the GA books.

only 1 GA book in the next round and I think it's a particularly easy one (if you know CGC)

On 1/19/2022 at 5:26 PM, Bird said:

I like looking at the stats...no surprise to me, I haven't hit one on the head but I have only one negative score. Very impressed with some performances so far, look at timefinz! Never more than one grade off, that's consistency. grendelbo has more hits than anyone but more negative scores than me in 15th place! And there are some sad grading fuddermuckers out there. ???

All agreed except the last sentence. I say some version of this in every contest: we are not grading a book in hand, we are looking at scans on a screen and trying to guess where CGC's standards would land it. And a further wild card in this contest: for each book we are trying to imagine whether C&P improved it not at all, improved it slightly or improved it dramatically... so in effect we are not even grading the book we're looking at! Negs here are no reflection on grading abilities, IMO.

On 1/19/2022 at 4:35 PM, Point Five said:

All agreed except the last sentence. I say some version of this in every contest: we are not grading a book in hand, we are looking at scans on a screen and trying to guess where CGC's standards would land it. And a further wild card in this contest: for each book we are trying to imagine whether C&P improved it not at all, improved it slightly or improved it dramatically... so in effect we are not even grading the book we're looking at! Negs here are no reflection on grading abilities, IMO.

I definitely agree with this . I had a book come back today that was previously a CGC 7.0 that the press and clean brought it up to a 9.2. When I first looked it both in the original case and raw I did not see it getting that big if a bump. (You can see it in my journal/Jock signing) 

On 1/19/2022 at 3:35 PM, Point Five said:

And a further wild card in this contest: for each book we are trying to imagine whether C&P improved it not at all, improved it slightly or improved it dramatically... so in effect we are not even grading the book we're looking at! Negs here are no reflection on grading abilities, IMO.

+1