• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you collect with so many different variants? ASM 55
3 3

26 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2022 at 11:45 AM, Lord Gemini said:
On 1/17/2022 at 8:22 AM, Crops068 said:

I don't belive that the variants will hold up in value compared to the main issue, so the primary cover (cover A) is what is best to buy in most cases.  ASM 55 is an outlier as the variant cover is the draw not the issue itself.

With that the main one to go for is the 1st print Virgin variant that was not available in regular stores, at least that would be my recommendation.

One thing to note is that if a variant features a cover appearance of a new character, that might be the one to go with. See Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters - Jabba the Hutt.

That would be why I said "most cases" :)

On 1/16/2022 at 6:57 PM, Lord Gemini said:

If it’s not an incentive cover or store exclusive or other rarer variant, investment-wise, I’ve found it’s usually best to go with the A cover. Me, I tend to just go with whatever variant I like artwise and pick up a rarer variant now and again if I really dig it. It’s where I straddle the line between investing and pure enjoyment of the medium.

Ditto, 100%

I don't buy many variants because my general philosophy is to limit purchases of them to two categories:

1. A must-own cover. ASM 55 is a perfect example - I bought a virgin second print because that's the iteration I liked best. I had/have no clue which version will be the long-term winner in the market.

2. A limited or ratio of a (potential) key. Ideally, this is one with a small, finite print run announced up-front.

On 1/16/2022 at 10:06 PM, KCode98 said:

Well ASM 55 above has been selling around $122 for a 9.8 (one just sold tonight for $124) so while that isn't a pile of money it is more than the book cost new. But I don't know what you consider "proven its value in the market". I figured why not pick one up in a 9.8 for $80 shipped. I love the cover of it and it will look very nice displayed. Buying it under market value was sugar on the top.

.... I would definitely NOT invest in the 2nd print Red version .... I still see that on the rack at larger LCS' . I've got 2 each raw of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I like the cover too. If they spike, I'll slab them myself ... otherwise someone else is making the profit. You will need to get efficient at spotting a 9.8. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu