• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you collect with so many different variants? ASM 55
3 3

26 posts in this topic

I'm getting to be in my later 30's and I honestly must say...I miss a time in comics when things were a bit more...basic. But as we all know the current trend is variants and it has soiled my collecting of new comics some. How do you know which one will be "the one" to pick up? For example...

ASM 55 has so many different covers. How can you possible choose which one to invest your money in on a graded version?

8c0532e8bc2a34e4251f09fb765f996fc4934c74_2_423x500.jpeg

On 1/16/2022 at 5:45 PM, KCode98 said:

I'm getting to be in my later 30's and I honestly must say...I miss a time in comics when things were a bit more...basic. But as we all know the current trend is variants and it has soiled my collecting of new comics some. How do you know which one will be "the one" to pick up? For example...

ASM 55 has so many different covers. How can you possible choose which one to invest your money in on a graded version?

If it’s not an incentive cover or store exclusive or other rarer variant, investment-wise, I’ve found it’s usually best to go with the A cover. Me, I tend to just go with whatever variant I like artwise and pick up a rarer variant now and again if I really dig it. It’s where I straddle the line between investing and pure enjoyment of the medium.

On 1/16/2022 at 6:57 PM, Lord Gemini said:

If it’s not an incentive cover or store exclusive or other rarer variant, investment-wise, I’ve found it’s usually best to go with the A cover. Me, I tend to just go with whatever variant I like artwise and pick up a rarer variant now and again if I really dig it. It’s where I straddle the line between investing and pure enjoyment of the medium.

Gemini what do you mean "A cover"?

On 1/16/2022 at 5:45 PM, KCode98 said:

I think what you said above is the reason for the problem in the hobby. Comics are meant to be read honestly. I know that
is a foreign concept anymore. Thinking these books are a good investment is the 2nd problem. Right now our hobby is flooded with card collectors who are slabbing tons of books. A new subset of cover collectors has now sprung up all thinking these books will be good investments. The reality is in a year or so the market is going to be oversaturated with modern slabs, probably copper and bronze too. If you are investing it better be for a decent amount of time because a glut is coming. 

I would advise to buy what you like and research what you decide to invest in a lot. Listen to multiple places for investing and be aware that many sites can occasionally have conflicts of interests. Start slow and diversify. Nobody talks about their losses.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 1/16/2022 at 7:05 PM, fastballspecial said:

I think what you said above is the reason for the problem in the hobby. Comics are meant to be read honestly. I know that
is a foreign concept anymore. Thinking these books are a good investment is the 2nd problem. Right now our hobby is flooded with card collectors who are slabbing tons of books. A new subset of cover collectors has now sprung up all thinking these books will be good investments. The reality is in a year or so the market is going to be oversaturated with modern slabs, probably copper and bronze too. If you are investing it better be for a decent amount of time because a glut is coming. 

I would advise to buy what you like and research what you decide to invest in a lot. Listen to multiple places for investing and be aware that many sites can occasionally have conflicts of interests. Start slow and diversify. Nobody talks about their losses.

I'm just trying to understand the thinking of collecting these modern comics that have 5-10 different variants.

Example: If it is a key book, which one are people looking for in 5 years when there were 6 different versions? What I think I have noticed is the I guess...Original cover art is the one that is assumed to be "correct" to chase. If that makes any sense...

Why slab any book that not proven its value in the market?  Keep your money in your pocket until you are sure of what and why you are spending it (good advice for money in general).

If you can't decide which one to slab, it's because there is no outstanding contender.  So until 1 version emerges as the "one to have", just stand pat.  There's no time clock ticking on this.  The grading companies aren't on the verge of folding.

On 1/16/2022 at 6:45 PM, KCode98 said:

You don't. 

On 1/16/2022 at 8:34 PM, Lightning55 said:

Why slab any book that not proven its value in the market?  Keep your money in your pocket until you are sure of what and why you are spending it (good advice for money in general).

If you can't decide which one to slab, it's because there is no outstanding contender.  So until 1 version emerges as the "one to have", just stand pat.  There's no time clock ticking on this.  The grading companies aren't on the verge of folding.

Well ASM 55 above has been selling around $122 for a 9.8 (one just sold tonight for $124) so while that isn't a pile of money it is more than the book cost new. But I don't know what you consider "proven its value in the market". I figured why not pick one up in a 9.8 for $80 shipped. I love the cover of it and it will look very nice displayed. Buying it under market value was sugar on the top.

Edited by KCode98

On 1/16/2022 at 7:34 PM, Lightning55 said:

I think this is due because people want to be able to "strike while the iron is hot." If you wait to have a book graded once it becomes hot, and it takes six months before it comes back from CGC, there is a good chance the book is no longer hot.

I mentioned this earlier, but not in this thread, that I bought two copies of LSH #6 (first Gold Lantern in June, 2020) and two copies of Wolverine #6 (some new villain) in December, 2020, and I was able to get them graded in a timely manner. I sold them quickly and made a small amount of profit. I just looked at these books recently, and they are currently selling for 50% of what my copies brought. Please note - this was before the big flood of books after the first price increase.

On 1/16/2022 at 6:45 PM, KCode98 said:

How can you possible choose which one to invest your money in on a graded version?

You answered your own question a few posts ago.  You didn't say which ASM 55 version you purchased, but at a comp of $122/$124 purchased for $80, sounds like a good deal.

If the potential market value of a comic you are considering getting graded (or buying graded) exceeds a theoretical minimum number you have in your head, that's where you put your money.

You seemed to be asking which variant to have slabbed, and my response would be any that met the criteria above.  You wouldn't just pick one at random or even by advice if it hasn't shown to be of that minimum graded value that you establish as your minimum. 

People will have different opinions as to what the minimum is, especially if it's for the personal collection. Then it might not even be a consideration - just want it slabbed for personal reasons.

I had preordered double digit copies of issue 55 in the original first print.

I likened it to that Joker cover made up of bats flying away. 

So naturally, I like the original. 

On 1/16/2022 at 11:23 PM, Lightning55 said:

You answered your own question a few posts ago.  You didn't say which ASM 55 version you purchased, but at a comp of $122/$124 purchased for $80, sounds like a good deal.

If the potential market value of a comic you are considering getting graded (or buying graded) exceeds a theoretical minimum number you have in your head, that's where you put your money.

You seemed to be asking which variant to have slabbed, and my response would be any that met the criteria above.  You wouldn't just pick one at random or even by advice if it hasn't shown to be of that minimum graded value that you establish as your minimum. 

People will have different opinions as to what the minimum is, especially if it's for the personal collection. Then it might not even be a consideration - just want it slabbed for personal reasons.

No I was asking which variant to go after if you were purchasing any said modern book. I ended up getting the first issue or original cover.

On 1/16/2022 at 11:37 PM, Buzzetta said:

I had preordered double digit copies of issue 55 in the original first print.

I likened it to that Joker cover made up of bats flying away. 

So naturally, I like the original. 

I stole your idea and pre-ordered ten copies. Sold 9 of them raw when the heat was on and they were getting up to $40 a copy. Kept one copy for the PC. 

Selling for $40 immediately on a $3 per copy buy-in is math that works for me. I never once considered sending in to get graded. 

On 1/16/2022 at 10:44 PM, KCode98 said:

No I was asking which variant to go after if you were purchasing any said modern book. I ended up getting the first issue or original cover.

I don't belive that the variants will hold up in value compared to the main issue, so the primary cover (cover A) is what is best to buy in most cases.  ASM 55 is an outlier as the variant cover is the draw not the issue itself.

With that the main one to go for is the 1st print Virgin variant that was not available in regular stores, at least that would be my recommendation.

On 1/16/2022 at 11:44 PM, KCode98 said:

Go with Cover A. That will be right most of the time. If you want to keep asking the same question, spend your own money and find out. No better way to learn. 

On 1/16/2022 at 9:06 PM, KCode98 said:

Well ASM 55 above has been selling around $122 for a 9.8 (one just sold tonight for $124) so while that isn't a pile of money it is more than the book cost new. But I don't know what you consider "proven its value in the market". I figured why not pick one up in a 9.8 for $80 shipped. I love the cover of it and it will look very nice displayed. Buying it under market value was sugar on the top.

When something is selling for that low, it's usually not worth it to get it graded considering the cost involved and, more importantly now, the time it takes to get back. By the time you get a slab back (six months or so?), the market may have cooled on that particular book. Things are really volatile as buyers and sellers hop onto the "new big thing", especially with comics that have become hot due to appearances in Marvel shows. It's best to wait a bit, keep what you consider a good investment bagged and boarded and safe, and wait until it's proven its worth to be stable.

Edited by Lord Gemini

On 1/17/2022 at 8:22 AM, Crops068 said:

I don't belive that the variants will hold up in value compared to the main issue, so the primary cover (cover A) is what is best to buy in most cases.  ASM 55 is an outlier as the variant cover is the draw not the issue itself.

With that the main one to go for is the 1st print Virgin variant that was not available in regular stores, at least that would be my recommendation.

One thing to note is that if a variant features a cover appearance of a new character, that might be the one to go with. See Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters - Jabba the Hutt.

On 1/16/2022 at 8:38 PM, The Meta said:

34 variants for issue 1 of Marvel Aliens 

Stupid. Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid

I have 16 of them

That's how I feel when I keep buying things like store exclusives and extra covers for Hulk #1 and Venom #1. I ask myself, "What the hell are you doing?" as i drop yet another $20-$30 on another exclusive. Ha ha.