• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC has to modernize grading and improve turnaround times!
2 2

50 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2022 at 11:33 PM, SNiPER said:

My last 3 submissions i received:

Sent 20 books STD tier, CGC received 11/5/21  CGC shipped 12/20/21 (45 days*) 

Sent 24 books MOD tier, CGC received 12/20/21 CGC shipped 1/4/22 (14 days*) :whatthe:

sent 9 books EXpress tier, CGC received 12/22/21 CGC shipped 1/12/22 (21 days*)

* not counting days to get there, days they sit at CGC waiting to be entered into the system (received) 

and days to mail back.

I've got a 5 book submission still not back that was entered into the system last April 11th. 

On 1/20/2022 at 8:09 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Did you have them pressed at CCS? 

I have been staring to notice they seem to be bumping those in house services and slapping any that were not. 

I did not have them pressed, which is why I said it would have been nice if there were notes as to what defects knocked my books down to 9.0.  That way I could decide if pressing would help.  For instance, if the notes said there was tear that I missed, I know it wouldn't be worth trying to press for a better grade.  But if there were notes that said "multiple light spine bends," then I would know that I had a change to improve the grade via pressing.  

Additionally, if they noted a "color breaking" bend/crease that I know wasn't there before I sent it, I could compare to my pre-shipping scans to see if there was damage en route or in-house and react accordingly.  

I screened the books myself with 40+ years worth of knowledge in the hobby, so it would be nice to know for my own curiosity (and education about CGC's grading system) what kept the book from being 9.2+.  

CGC has Blackstone.

CGC is currently trying to make this company in Fortune 500.

CGC was supposedly hiring 500 employees last August.  Still uncertain if they actually hired 500 people.

Nearly all non-CGC professional grading companies have frozen submissions to allow themselves to catch up all items with integrity.  CGC chose not to froze all submissions.

CGC hasn't improved the time around and quality control but did some improvements on the services only.

It is yet 100% satisfaction.  Yes, I missed old CGC days before COVID-19 pandemic.

My heart skipped a beat when my CGC Submissions Tracking page stopped showing my 18-book submission, which was received by CCS in May last year.  Turns out CGC only keeps submissions on there for 8 months!  Wasn't a problem before, but now that stuff is taking so long to process, this will be happening more often to every one.   I was told it would be another few months (!) before I see it listed again, likely when CCS is done with it and sends it over for grading.   I dunno.  Not seeing it mentioned at all on there for that long is annoying, but at least the rep (I called) indicated that CGC is looking to keep pending submissions listed for at least a year.   But until then....they could vanish for a few months.  I  have another submission that may vanish soon, too.  But you can still do a manual search to find your submissions, I was told.  

On 1/21/2022 at 7:12 PM, PiggyTTV said:

It's already been happening for months.

Screenshot_20220121-190817_Chrome.thumb.jpg.30ebc83a54463876184488f91c3cb11a.jpg

Ah.  Thanks.  The submission I mentioned (and the other one I have pending) were my only submisisons that weren't walkthru, express or standard, so I never experienced this before.  Well, it is what it is.  

On 1/16/2022 at 10:04 PM, jbraden78 said:

There are companies that can grade by a scan while graders can access the items and work from home.  There has to be a way to do it faster without losing integrity of the grade.  There should be no reason to keep books past 30 days.   

I too would love to know what TPGs grade by scan. I imagine it would be something like this:

Place font cover on scanner

Scan

Place back cover on scanner

Scan

Open book

Scan Inside Front Cover

Scan Inside Back Cover

Run book through auto page counter

Verify page count

Open book to first page

Scan

Open book to pages 2 – 3

Scan

Repeat for remainder of pages

Run each scan through Sarillizer Restoration Detector

Run each scan through Deluxe Acme Auto Grader

Downgrade book for popped staples/torn staple holes/spine splits due to repeated open book scans

Edited by PovertyRow
update

I finally figured it out...THE GRADING CONTEST! We are grading submissions in the grading contest now! It all makes sense!! They have figured out a way to monetize the boards, reduce TATs and improve quality of grading/consistency all in one fell swoop!

We got 9 books done this week and it should be reflected in the TATs shortly.

CGC will be taking the $199 they get from the dealers and using that to subsidize it all, paying us each $1 for submitting our grade "guesses".

On 1/21/2022 at 5:40 PM, Bird said:

I finally figured it out...THE GRADING CONTEST! We are grading submissions in the grading contest now! It all makes sense!! They have figured out a way to monetize the boards, reduce TATs and improve quality of grading/consistency all in one fell swoop!

We got 9 books done this week and it should be reflected in the TATs shortly.

CGC will be taking the $199 they get from the dealers and using that to subsidize it all, paying us each $1 for submitting our grade "guesses".

OMG maybe my meager 10 books I have in for grading will have some motion!

On 1/21/2022 at 12:33 AM, SNiPER said:

My last 3 submissions i received:

Sent 20 books STD tier, CGC received 11/5/21  CGC shipped 12/20/21 (45 days*) 

Sent 24 books MOD tier, CGC received 12/20/21 CGC shipped 1/4/22 (14 days*) :whatthe:

sent 9 books EXpress tier, CGC received 12/22/21 CGC shipped 1/12/22 (21 days*)

* not counting days to get there, days they sit at CGC waiting to be entered into the system (received) 

and days to mail back.

those are some pretty great turn around times