• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Young Avengers 1, is it even worth chasing?
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Well I'll be honest, I'm a bigger fan of old Marvel vs the Disney Marvel. Without getting too deep into that I don't care much at all about Young Avengers but can't help but hear all the hype about it and I did see where Kate Bishop is in Hawkeye and I believe she will be staying in the movies. However the actress is 25 so by the time the "Young" Avengers comes out I'm not sure how young she will be. And then there is also the kids from WandaVision.

So with the 9.8 at $1,000 now. Is this one worth chasing or is the boat been missed?

At 25 years old, she'll be able to have a lengthy career as a leading lady in Marvel. If I had to guess, I'd doubt they'll calling her a "Young Avenger". Marvel/Disney would be shooting themselves in the foot limiting their shelf-life if they started a new string of move is called "Young Avengers". Hailee Steinfeld won't be a "Young Avenger", she'll be an Avenger. As the original Avengers cast age out, they'll feature a new cast perhaps based upon the characters and stories of the Young Avengers comic book.

That being said, I think Young Avengers #1 is still a very good longterm bet. I think the next generation of Avengers will be the Young Avengers comic characters, just not referred to as the Young Avengers in the MCU.

On 1/17/2022 at 9:52 PM, Lazyboy said:

Yeah, because $1000 is the same as $5.

hm

Hey, can I borrow "5" bucks? :shiftyeyes:

You missed the point. Point is even if I don't care for any of them, that doesn't make them non relevant.

Edited by KCode98

The book will retain its value if you buy it now and sell it in a few years, I think you're safe on that. But I fully believe the quick price hikes are done with. Each new character will probably see a boost, but if Kate Bishop can still only make the book a 1k book, the others won't do too much to add to that.

The stuff that has the most potential are the easy to pick up specs in bulk. These the hype men already have, so when the time comes they'll peddle their wares like it's the next Tesla stock, and the ignorant will eat it up.

Edited by Tnexus

Unpopular opinion, but there's no way this book retains a $1k value. This has happened before and will happen again in regards to movie/tv hype. Anyone remember when Preacher #1 was over $1k in CGC 9.8? Now copies can be had for $250 or less. Wait and buy it later when the price drops.

On 1/17/2022 at 4:23 PM, KCode98 said:

Imagine people saying that about a Canadian short character back in the 70's 

Imagine saying that about Amazon during the .com crash (and ignoring the other 99% of companies you could have chosen) 

Edited by waaaghboss

On 1/19/2022 at 12:58 PM, ygogolak said:

So you're saying you just would buy it as an investment.

Lots of other "investments" you could get for $1k.

Yes completely as an investment. Opinions on better option 9.8s for $1k?

On 1/17/2022 at 8:36 PM, followtheleader said:

I'm a huge fan of this book.  

So many 1st appearances, so much potential.  

Patriot seems like a homerun.  Should be as strong as someone like Miles.

Patrick

I am too I could kick myself for selling the Wizard variant for a nice profit last year.

I kept 2 copies of the normal and I am always chasing the Not for Sale copies in 
high grade.

On 1/18/2022 at 2:43 PM, MadGenius said:

Unpopular opinion, but there's no way this book retains a $1k value. This has happened before and will happen again in regards to movie/tv hype. Anyone remember when Preacher #1 was over $1k in CGC 9.8? Now copies can be had for $250 or less. Wait and buy it later when the price drops.

You need the picture of the guy on Facebook with his sign out in front of him.

Did Marvel studios produce Preacher? 
Did Preacher have a TV show and then later movies which is where this is probably going. 

The price on this book wont drop for awhile in my opinion. If you are slab collector you 
will be waiting awhile on a large price drop like Preacher. Maybe the market saturation that is
coming over the next year may bring the price down some. I am sure there are dozens of copies
being submitted I sent one of those in. So the influx of copies may bring the price down a bit.

Or Seth Rogan can be involved and that will make buyers run like hell. :canofworms:

Its one of a few modern books I never pass up at a decent price. I never keep it in my sales thread for more then a few hours in any grade when I sell one.

Edited by fastballspecial

I'm biased as I have a CGC 9.8 Sketch variant but there's a lot to like about it:

1.  1st app of Kate Bishop.  Nothing else needs to be said but I will.  Hailey Steinfeld (Academy Award nominee).  Disney+ show screen chemistry with Yelena Belova (Marvel definitely noticed).  Hawkeye.

2.  1st app of Hulkling.  Has already had a Marvel comic event with him as the lead (Empyre).  

3.  1st app of Asgardian.  Is actually Wiccan, son of Scarlet Witch and also featured in Empyre.  Has already appeared as a child and it is unknown as to what happened to him and his brother, Tommy (Speed).

4.  1st app of Patriot (Elijah Bradley).  Grandson of the black Captain America and has already appeared in Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

5.  1st app of Iron Lad (Nathaniel Richards).  Is Kang the Conqueror's future self.  Kang.  What's his back story?  Young Avengers.  I can't think Marvel will leave that out.

There's a lot to like in my opinion.  Definitely not going to say they are the future, but, I consider them as 1B to Miles Morales 1A when it comes to 1st appearance spec.  Just my 2 cents.

On 1/18/2022 at 3:43 PM, MadGenius said:

To clarify my point, Young Avengers #1 is at peak value right now coming off the heels of the Hawkeye TV show. As an investment it doesn't make sense to buy in at the top of the market. Willing to be proven wrong on this, but I don't see a scenario that pushes the price of this book even higher than it is currently.

On 1/21/2022 at 3:30 PM, MadGenius said:

To clarify my point, Young Avengers #1 is at peak value right now coming off the heels of the Hawkeye TV show. As an investment it doesn't make sense to buy in at the top of the market. Willing to be proven wrong on this, but I don't see a scenario that pushes the price of this book even higher than it is currently.

I see the scenario that pushed the book higher: all of the characters become the MCU Avengers.

It of course hinges upon the continued success of the MCU, and that the world continues to watch superhero movies/shows. The current Avengers roster is aging out. Several of them are in their 50's. They will be replaced by a new cast, which I think will be the Young Avengers characters. If those characters are the stars of the MCU for the next 25+ years, then I think Young Avengers #1 has lot of room to climb.

On 1/21/2022 at 10:30 AM, MadGenius said:

Comparing Preacher to YA is not even a fair comparison, and I love Preacher, both the book and the series

Preacher had a huge run up in the year leading up to the show and sadly the show couldn't support the hype. I thought it was good show, but nothing could have lived up to the hype. Not to mention, the show is a hard R on AMC; it would have never have gotten the exposure Disney does. 

YA is a $1K book on just one character so far, Kate. If another character hits out of that book, we are looking at another Ultimate Fallout, easy. Given Disney's track record, it probably points to more characters coming out of YA, rather than not. 

I'm with fastball on this. i never pass up nice copies of this when I see them. No brainer, long term hold. Years from now, we're gonna look back at this and see that $1K was a bargain.