• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your go to JR JR key?
2 2

42 posts in this topic

I will say straight up that I am not a fan of Romita Jr. To me, he is just a far cry from his dad and I just do not like his style. Overrated would be an understatement. Yet, he is everywhere! I cannot think of another artist of the past 50 years who has contributed as much as he did to comics. Since the copper era, his body of work is bar none. And with that comes many many new characters first drawn by him, so  a myriad of keys. I was wondering, which is your go to JR JR key (or keys, more than one is fine). This is kind of a contrast to a question I had regarding Jim Lee, who I much preffer and yet  only has 1-2 key characters that first appeared in comics he drew.

For those unaware, here are some of the characters credited to JR JR (list is not full, just putting the main ones):

Kick A S S (and all related characters like Hit Girl, Big Daddy, ect)

Hobgoblin

Forge

Typhoid Mary

Morlun

Anti Venom

Monica Rambeau (first female Captain Marvel)

Shuri

Hydro man

Blackheart

Rachel Summers

Nimrod

Madame Web

Gorgon (the Wolverine villain)

Lynn Michaels Punisher

Skaar

Ezekiel

He also did the cover for the first appearance of Dazzler

And as far as storylines, well some of the biggest ones are his like: World War Hulk, demon in a Bottle, his spidey runs which has Green Goblin and the 911 issue, the Wolverine agent of hand/shield epic, Avengers vs X-Men and even All Star batman over at DC which is one of the best Two Face stories.

Edited by William-James88

Love his cover to Iron Man 126; can’t remember how many times I tried to copy it. Once he took over the pencilling from Paul Smith on the X-Men, I thought he’d suffered a head injury. The style has evolved a bit but there’s really nothing he’s done since that’s made me want to add to my pc. Skaar probably has the most potential to become a major character but it would take spectacular writing before the artwork would have any impact

Edited by B2D327

ASM 238 and 239. I mean, I am sure there is some debate about how much insight he had in creating Hobby, or even drawing the cover but for me he did and those are two of the best Spidey covers of the 80s, if not the top 2. Nuff said.

Anything else from JRJR does little for me, even his DD stuff

On 1/20/2022 at 1:39 PM, comicginger1789 said:

ASM 238 and 239. I mean, I am sure there is some debate about how much insight he had in creating Hobby, or even drawing the cover but for me he did and those are two of the best Spidey covers of the 80s, if not the top 2. Nuff said.

Anything else from JRJR does little for me, even his DD stuff

On 1/20/2022 at 3:47 PM, Terry JSA said:

ASM #238

Yep....probably my fav Spiderman cover ever. 239 isn't too shabby either.  His style definitely evolved (and in my opinion, not for the better) over the years,  but that is why they make so many different flavors of ice cream. 

Big fan of his early work even if at times anatomy was a bit clunky.  Most of his work from 1986 on is not my cup-of-tea.

His Iron Man work from 1978-1980 is probably my favorite especially from 1979. Then his Spidey from 1980-1983. Contest of The Champions as well.

image.thumb.png.0c9cef8e3ec88c5aa6dc55650fde69ea.pngimage.thumb.png.4b97477a078ecde9649a4f90e3e0aa68.png

image.thumb.png.62fe933c9e0b61585fc2c158cf08cf87.png

image.thumb.png.3e553212e9047600b7efc20aeeb9fd30.png

Edited by MAR1979

I really liked his work in X-Men when I collected them as a kid, especially #183, Jugs vs Colossus!  Love how he put Wolverine leaning against the bar on the cover.

The Uncanny X-Men #183. Cover by John Romita Jr & Dan Green. Easily of the  more interesting issues and the book where the Colossus/Juggernaut fued  really began. : r/Marvel

Another really cool cover from that run...

Uncanny X Men 207 Comic Book Story by Chris Claremont Art by John Romita, Jr.  and Dan Green, Hobbies & Toys, Books & Magazines, Comics & Manga on  Carousell

On 1/20/2022 at 5:01 PM, MAR1979 said:

Big fan of his early work even if at times anatomy was a bit clunky.  Most of his work from 1986 on is not my cup-of-tea.

His Iron Man work from 1978-1980 is probably my favorite especially from 1979. Then his Spidey from 1980-1983. Contest of The Champions as well.

image.thumb.png.4b97477a078ecde9649a4f90e3e0aa68.png

image.thumb.png.62fe933c9e0b61585fc2c158cf08cf87.png

image.thumb.png.3e553212e9047600b7efc20aeeb9fd30.png

WOW, what the hell ever happened to THAT JR JR???!!!

On 1/20/2022 at 12:53 PM, William-James88 said:

I will say straight up that I am not a fan of Romita Jr. To me, he is just a far cry from his dad and I just do not like his style. Overrated would be an understatement. Yet, he is everywhere! I cannot think of another artist of the past 50 years who has contributed as much as he did to comics. Since the copper era, his body of work is bar none. And with that comes many many new characters first drawn by him, so  a myriad of keys. I was wondering, which is your go to JR JR key (or keys, more than one is fine). This is kind of a contrast to a question I had regarding Jim Lee, who I much preffer and yet  only has 1-2 key characters that first appeared in comics he drew.

For those unaware, here are some of the characters credited to JR JR (list is not full, just putting the main ones):

If this is how you don't like someone, sign me up :bigsmile: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 1/20/2022 at 5:40 PM, shadroch said:

I like his earlier work better than his late 80s work. I cant think of anything of his from the last twenty years that I've read.

If you are a Wolverine fan, his Enemy of State story is pretty damn fun. Art is bad, but I was still fully entertained. It's Wolverine just being unstoppable, sent one direction for half and then in another direction for the other half (kinda like the comic book equivalent to Mad Max Fury Road in a sense).

https://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-Enemy-State-Mark-Millar/dp/0785133011