• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using peroxide and blue LED light to clean and whiten comics - resto or no?
2 2

63 posts in this topic

On 1/24/2022 at 4:49 PM, Quicksilver Signs said:

You and Greggy were my best sale at the Calgary show, hope those SW68’s worked out well for you. 

Woodgod?

On 1/24/2022 at 4:36 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Micro-trimming is pretty much undetectable.  And considering how swamped CGC is with submissions,  I imagine Ewert could pass a few trimmed books through right now. Are you okay with your books being trimmed?

If I didn't know it had been trimmed and it also made it past CGC, what would I not be okay with?

On 1/24/2022 at 9:00 PM, Pat Thomas said:

If I didn't know it had been trimmed and it also made it past CGC, what would I not be okay with?

What if you bought a CGC book, and while sharing it here....someone showed you before & after scans of the book showing it to be trimmed?  Still ok?

On 1/24/2022 at 5:08 PM, Lpgk said:

The facebook pressing group is saying the majority of it gets a blue label. The fact that someone published a book on how to do it is troubling to say the least. I don't want anything to do with these books that been soaked, sprayed, misted with peroxide and then bleached with blue light. This sounds like resto to me. 

One, why am I quoted in the context of this response? And two, if you rely on a Facebook group for facts, you have no standing here whatsoever. :sumo:  :baiting: It's all freakin' resto. Period. (I just realized we may be on the same side here.)

On 1/24/2022 at 4:51 PM, divad said:

One, why am I quoted in the context of this response? And two, if you rely on a Facebook group for facts, you have no standing here whatsoever. :sumo:  :baiting: It's all freakin' resto. Period. (I just realized we may be on the same side here.)

sorry about the incorrect quote, i went ahead and fixed it. 

yes, we're on the same page. in case it wasn't clear, i think most of those FB posters are full of carp . just pointing out what many are saying there. 

Edited by Lpgk

On 1/24/2022 at 6:00 PM, Pat Thomas said:
On 1/24/2022 at 2:36 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Micro-trimming is pretty much undetectable.  And considering how swamped CGC is with submissions,  I imagine Ewert could pass a few thousand trimmed books through right now. Are you okay with your books being trimmed?

FTFY :bigsmile: Especially now that they walk hand-in-hand with Satan. :roflmao:(OMG did I just say that out loud???)

On 1/25/2022 at 1:52 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

2138827753_200-1(4).gif.c91eeb7b5852ffeb1ec7cc2044448584.gif

That's resto. 

On 1/25/2022 at 3:34 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

You must not have seen the custom burned comic covers.  

I must not have. What do they look like? :canofworms:

On 1/25/2022 at 3:43 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Damn, that does look cool. 

On 1/25/2022 at 3:58 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Yep. Legal Burning.. also gets the SS.. (thumbsu

Now those are sweet books to have, and definitely something different. I'd buy some of those. The Star Wars ones look especially good. 

On 1/24/2022 at 7:08 PM, Lpgk said:

The facebook pressing group is saying the majority of it gets a blue label. The fact that someone published a book on how to do it is troubling to say the least. I don't want anything to do with these books that been soaked, sprayed, misted with peroxide and then bleached with blue light. This sounds like resto to me. 

Take everything you read on those groups (and I'm a member of several of them) with a grain of salt.  These are the same guys who routinely tape books to reattach covers and cf, or replace staples then humble brag when it gets a blue label.  I'm not saying they're up to no good but things have escalated greatly in the last 18 months.  It went from lightening heavy stains to improve the appearance of the book to flat out bleaching books.

And their claim that just because H2O2 is used in the manufacture of paper means it's not restoration is completely laughable.  Paper pulp and dyes are used in the manufacture of paper but if you add some after the fact it's restoration.  Add some ink to a cover and see how your argument holds up.