• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using peroxide and blue LED light to clean and whiten comics - resto or no?
2 2

63 posts in this topic

On 1/24/2022 at 4:26 PM, Pat Thomas said:

I don't see a problem doing anything to your own collection. It should be disclosed if you ever sell them, but if it's undetectable even to the grading companies, does it really hurt anybody?

Micro-trimming is pretty much undetectable.  And considering how swamped CGC is with submissions,  I imagine Ewert could pass a few trimmed books through right now. Are you okay with your books being trimmed?

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 1/24/2022 at 2:50 PM, Quicksilver Signs said:

According to the author the percentage of peroxide used will not harm the paper. The blue LED light is more so used to whiten paper. Light will leave no indication that it was used unless used too much. 

The author of the book? I don't believe he is a chemist, but I could be wrong. Regardless, I'll trust information from the Journal of the American Institute for Conservation. 

On 1/24/2022 at 2:50 PM, s-dali said:

The author of the book? I don't believe he is a chemist, but I could be wrong. Regardless, I'll trust information from the Journal of the American Institute for Conservation. 

he's also wrong abt LED light whitening paper.  Nope.

On 1/24/2022 at 5:43 PM, joeypost said:

Certain additives will accelerate the paper degradation. Peroxide is a “bleaching” agent. It does affect the integrity of the paper fibers. 

The market will soon be flooded with books done by amateurs with zero disclosure. I would imagine that this type of work, if disclosed, would result in few sales. 

One good thing is that it is now on CGC’s radar. 

Joe, isn’t the market already flooded with amateurs with zero disclosure?

On 1/24/2022 at 7:21 PM, Quicksilver Signs said:

Joe, isn’t the market already flooded with amateurs with zero disclosure?

Absolutely. Now it is crossing over into another page/cover whitening technique that is going to damage many more books. I cannot tell you how many books I see at shows, on eBay or even get in to work on that have been poorly dry cleaned and pressed. Everyone is an expert in their own eyes, didn’t you know? All with zero disclosure, even if you ask. 

I guess the final word is if CGC will be offering CP(eroxide)R services with blue labels or not. I haven’t been here as long as many of you but I have been here long enough to remember collectors who wouldn’t buy a pressed book.

Edited by dupont2005

On 1/24/2022 at 6:25 PM, joeypost said:

Absolutely. Now it is crossing over into another page/cover whitening technique that is going to damage many more books. I cannot tell you how many books I see at shows, on eBay or even get in to work on that have been poorly dry cleaned and pressed. Everyone is an expert in their own eyes, didn’t you know? All with zero disclosure, even if you ask. 

You and Greggy were my best sale at the Calgary show, hope those SW68’s worked out well for you. 

On 1/24/2022 at 7:49 PM, Quicksilver Signs said:

You and Greggy were my best sale at the Calgary show, hope those SW68’s worked out well for you. 

We did OK. No 9.8’s but a bunch of 9.6’s and 9.4’s. 

On 1/24/2022 at 7:45 PM, dupont2005 said:

I guess the final word is if CGC will be offering CP(eroxide)R services with blue labels or not. I haven’t been here as long as many of you but I have been here long enough to remember collectors who wouldn’t buy a pressed book.

There are still many that won’t. But…there are multiples more that do. 

On 1/24/2022 at 7:25 AM, Stronguy said:

The $64,000 question is, if done properly, can it be detected?  I'm not taking a stance on resto or not, just, can CGC (and others) tell if it's from peroxide or if it's just a light stain (or stain that has lightened over time).  That seemed to be the reason for pressing being not-resto, because they can't tell how it got that way.

The facebook pressing group is saying the majority of it gets a blue label. The fact that someone published a book on how to do it is troubling to say the least. I don't want anything to do with these books that been soaked, sprayed, misted with peroxide and then bleached with blue light. This sounds like resto to me. 

Edited by Lpgk