• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Old Comic Book Catalogs To Make Us Say "I Want A Time Machine"

38 posts in this topic

On 1/26/2022 at 6:39 AM, Randall Ries said:

1st catalog I ever ordered from. My parents were notoriously cheap and we rarely got gifts or requests filled. I bought a Green Lantern #85 from Howard when I was 10.

"I Want A Time Machine"

2.jpg

42284ce7a32c5569dda99d09eea47b16.gif

I could barely afford the catalog. That was like 20 newstand comics at the time! 

On 1/26/2022 at 3:19 PM, Robot Man said:

I could barely afford the catalog. That was like 20 newstand comics at the time! 

Man, that's right! I forgot about that. Had to scratch up bottles and cans just to afford the catalog, then wait for that to show up. Then do some more digging just to order the one book we could afford. I'd LIKE to say it built character but all it did was set me up to be pissed off about everything for the rest of my life. LOL!

On 1/26/2022 at 12:22 PM, Randall Ries said:

Man, that's right! I forgot about that. Had to scratch up bottles and cans just to afford the catalog, then wait for that to show up. Then do some more digging just to order the one book we could afford. I'd LIKE to say it built character but all it did was set me up to be pissed off about everything for the rest of my life. LOL!

Yeah, pop bottles. 3cents for the small ones and a nickle for the big ones. We used to scrounge alleys with out little red wagon or prowl the beach or parks and take them to the liquor store. Hard part was to resist the urge to buy more comics, monster cards or candy…

Then there was cutting lawns and a paper route. Lot of work but it taught us the value of money. Something that has stayed with me my whole life. 

On 1/26/2022 at 12:53 PM, Randall Ries said:

It taught me the same and how to take care of what I had. Wasn't a sure thing we would be getting more.

Comics and Wacky Packages were huge in the early 1970's. MAN I LOVED Wacky Packages as well as comics. I think about buying completed, vintage sets from EBay frequently. Boy, I sure loved those things.

Yes. I remember helping elderly neighbors clear their land with brush cutters and hand saws. Hot, hard, heavy work. I got the work ethic from that. But the elderly were CHEAP M effers back then.

"Here you go! Pay day! A shiny new QUARTER for 5 hours of dragging brush, cutting trees, rolling rocks and heatstroke! Don't spend it all at ONCE! Put it in the BANK!" Even the mosquitoes stabbing me with their plague inducing proboscis died of dehydration.

Seriously. A quarter or a Kennedy half dollar if they were feeling generous.

I took that from elderly employers. My younger brother did not. Elderly neighbor pulled that on him on a hot day and when he returned for lunch, he was pissed. Hot, red faced, dehydrated and pissed off. At 10 years old. He just sat there eating his sandwich and didn't say a word.

Went back for second shift and when he got handed .50 cents, he said "thanks" and when the dude turned his back, my brother swiped his check book and walked a mile to the country store to buy cigars. Store owner ratted him out, obviously.

I thought it was a riot as an 11 year old and certainly justifiable. My father however? He did not. Or maybe he did, but it sure didn't seem like it. My brother got his butt flattened. We all did. I guess my father was putting some whippings in the bank for all of us. Back then, we were TOLD to go next door and apologize and give our pay BACK and have the neighbor call to tell my father everything went according to his orders. He didn't EFF around. A LOT of parents didn't back then. Bad day at Black Rock.

Then, get driven to the country store and apologize to THAT owner for trying to push off stolen checks from the poor elderly neighbor who basically was running a back yard sweat shop. Yeah. We learned the value of money. We also learned employers will hose you if they can.

I grew up in big city suburbia. Not much open land in my neighborhood. I think a got a dollar for push mowing a lawn and edging. Hard work in the summer but I sometimes got two or three jobs on a good Saturday.

I don't ever remember getting walloped much but my parents believed in taking away the things that we loved. A couple weeks with no skateboard or my Sting Ray hurt much more than a whacking. Those things represented freedom. A freedom taken away when they were gone.  

On 1/26/2022 at 3:17 PM, William-James88 said:

But in what grade, Howard?

You pretty much took what he sent you. You didn't have many options. And back then, getting a reasonable copy of something was a score. Actual grading was pretty loose and didn't matter as much then. 

Howard "tape is not restoration" Rogofsky...

On 1/26/2022 at 6:25 PM, Robot Man said:

You pretty much took what he sent you. You didn't have many options. And back then, getting a reasonable copy of something was a score. Actual grading was pretty loose and didn't matter as much then. 

Howard "tape is not restoration" Rogofsky...

While I do thank you for always being helpful, I was just kidding around this time. He was a visionary though, as CGC does not see tape as restoration either.

Anyone got Bill Thailing's catalogs from the 60s to 1970 (especially 212 the double size issue)?  I have heard that Bill picked up a massive collection of interest to me, and I'd like to see if his catalogs might have reflected that pick-up.