• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX vs. CGC

13 posts in this topic

Which service is better. The same book graded at the same grade by each service, which is more valuable? Legitimate CGC competitor?

CGC is more prominent, has more bankroll and names associated with it that we all know.

However, give PGX time and everything could change. It is now taking positions that many approve of and if it could get someone known in the community or with formal training to handle its restoration detection, then it could increase its market share.

There is more than enough room in the marketplace for competition. We, as collectors and dealers, should encourage such competition. It can only help the community.

Which service is better. The same book graded at the same grade by each service, which is more valuable? Legitimate CGC competitor?

I agree with what Mark/Esquire says about competition being good for all of us.

Just speaking from experience I find PGX to be cheaper,have faster turnaround times (obviously due to less volume), and to be stricter on grading.

I also find their holders to be superior in respect to the safety of the book inside.

As to which Company is better, ultimately time will tell. PGX has undoubtedly grown in stature, over the last year, and in the face of this current scandal...well if they don't make a hole in CGC's business, then they've blown a 1st class opportunity to do so.

When they 1st started up, they got absolutely panned, but I believe they have gained much more respect now...I think that one day they will be at least on a par with CGC...but hey...is that a bad thing?

Just my 2 cents... thumbsup2.gif

I agree with what Mark/Esquire says about competition being good for all of us.

Just speaking from experience I find PGX to be cheaper,have faster turnaround times (obviously due to less volume), and to be stricter on grading.

I also find their holders to be superior in respect to the safety of the book inside.

As to which Company is better, ultimately time will tell. PGX has undoubtedly grown in stature, over the last year, and in the face of this current scandal...well if they don't make a hole in CGC's business, then they've blown a 1st class opportunity to do so.

When they 1st started up, they got absolutely panned, but I believe they have gained much more respect now...I think that one day they will be at least on a par with CGC...but hey...is that a bad thing?

Just my 2 cents... thumbsup2.gif

JUST TO CLARIFY...

At the moment in my own personal stuff...alll my slabbed books are CGC.

IMO at this moment in time...they are still 'da man'

Kay?....Kay!

Just thought I'd say that before someone thinks I'm a PGX mole or something thumbsup2.gif

I don't think pgx will ever have alot of the market. Yea they do it better, faster and cheaper but its the same thing with cards. PSA is the CGC of cards and there are many clones that do it better, but realized prices still favor PSA unless you pull a high 9 out of a beckett submission. I don't understand it though, if someone does it cheaper and better, why not go that route.

JUST TO CLARIFY...

Kay?....Kay!

Just thought I'd say that before someone thinks I'm a PGX mole or something thumbsup2.gif

And due to the "anal retentive nature" of many of us comic book collectors, I believe many people will stick with CGC books exclusively. Reason being, some people are collecting a CGC 9.4 run of comic X, a PGX 9.4 of a needed book may just not fit into that collector's style. Then he couldn't say, "I have ASM 11-50 all in CGC 9.2 or 9.4", for example. Kind of like the Sesame Street bit where you have four items, three alike and one that doesn't fit. Some collectors just cannot deal with that one that doesn't fit, doesn't match the others. Of course we are not all that way, but many are. Even to the point of collecting a CGC run in 9.6, but would not consider a CGC 9.4, because "it just doesn't match". Due to this reason, I believe many with continue to only buy CGC graded books, and simple loyalty plays a part as well. Still, over time this could change as we see more and more PGX books entering the market and where more collectors start seeing these two companies as similar entities.

JUST TO CLARIFY...

Kay?....Kay!

And due to the "anal retentive nature" of many of us comic book collectors, I believe many people will stick with CGC books exclusively. Reason being, some people are collecting a CGC 9.4 run of comic X, a PGX 9.4 of a needed book may just not fit into that collector's style. Then he couldn't say, "I have ASM 11-50 all in CGC 9.2 or 9.4", for example. Kind of like the Sesame Street bit where you have four items, three alike and one that doesn't fit. Some collectors just cannot deal with that one that doesn't fit, doesn't match the others. Of course we are not all that way, but many are. Even to the point of collecting a CGC run in 9.6, but would not consider a CGC 9.4, because "it just doesn't match". Due to this reason, I believe many with continue to only buy CGC graded books, and simple loyalty plays a part as well. Still, over time this could change as we see more and more PGX books entering the market and where more collectors start seeing these two companies as similar entities.

No argument from me there...