• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do any of you remove your comics from the slabs to make more space?
4 4

108 posts in this topic

On 2/6/2022 at 9:54 AM, Wolverinex said:

many collectors crack their slabs to read their books.  If its going to be with them forever, who cares.

If you plan to resell the books, then keep them in the slabs to keep the premium. 

I guess it depends on the genre / titles / publishers you collect? Many books have become public domain so you can read them in their entirety online for free. I see they are up to over 40k issues online now on just comicbookplus alone.

https://comicbookplus.com/
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/

On 2/6/2022 at 1:13 PM, 707comics said:

I guess it depends on the genre / titles / publishers you collect? Many books have become public domain so you can read them in their entirety online for free. I see they are up to over 40k issues online now on just comicbookplus alone.

https://comicbookplus.com/
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/

That's cool.. any marvel n or dc?

On 2/6/2022 at 1:17 PM, Wolverinex said:

That's cool.. any marvel n or dc?

Technically yes. The DC characters which were initially Fawcett characters (like Freddy/Captain Marvel Jr) are public domain.

https://pdsh.fandom.com/wiki/Captain_Marvel_Jr.

You could legally write a comic or story starring Captain Marvel Jr and publish it. Just read the fine print in that link above.

On 2/6/2022 at 12:21 PM, Number 6 said:

I think the above part of the initial post is key.

I you didn’t pay any kind of “slab premium”, if you know for a reasonably certainty that keeping the book slabbed is never going to add any kind of significant premium, if you had no interest in owning a slabbed copy, only wanted the actual book and only paid what you were comfortable paying for the book itself then I would say by all means remove the books if that’s what you would like to do. 

I don’t think saving space would be the main or only reason for removing books from CGC holders, that certainly is a plus…especially if you’re someone who really didn’t have any interest in having CGC graded books in your collection to begin with. 

As far as saving the label for resale, when I’ve sold cracked-out books with the blue label they always sell faster and for slightly more than if I had sold the book without the label, but it’s never a huge premium so saving the label is really more about reference than a resell strategy.  If you paid a significant CGC premium when buying the book slabbed saving the label won’t do much to recoup that (doesn’t sound like that’s what you’ve done anyway). 

Yes, I definitely tried to make that precision clear. This is not an all or nothing. Books that I may sell one day will stay slabbed, books that have defects that would lead others to downgrade too harshly stay slabbed, higher grade books stay slabbed, big keys where a .5 makes a big difference stay slabbed. But there's just books that I feel have no business being in a slab and bring no added value in one rather than out. Like this one which I purchased for less than the grading fees.

20220206_163313.jpg

Edited by William-James88

On 2/6/2022 at 8:47 PM, William-James88 said:

But there's just books that I feel have no business being in a slab and bring no added value in one rather than out. 

There is just too much carp in a slab. Like 95% of it. (shrug)

OK – this thread inspired me to get busy tonight. Monday night is Bible Study Night here at home – my wife hosts the ladies, and me and the heathen dog get locked in – usually the bedroom. Tonight, the laundry room. Which is the only room in the house with enough adequate lighting for me to grade books.

Forget grading that Weird War Tales collection I need to sell…,  that I have already scanned. Time to crack some books out, inventoried, and get them put away in the boxes.

Here for your perusal, is me cracking 10 slabs for semi-permanent insertion into my collection.
Adventure 319 CGC 8.5
G.I. Combat 108 CGC 8.5
Superboy 129 CGC 9.4
Superboy 207 CGC 9.4
Sea Devils 17 CGC 9.2
Showcase 68 CGC 9.4
Green Lantern 74 9.4
Showcase 36 CGC 9.0
Atom 27 PGX 9.2
Wonder Woman 218 CGC 9.4

So…, pardon the carppy cell phone photos, blurriness and glare. The cracking and photography were done and put together in just under two hours.

I would ask you jack@sses to wait until I finish posting, before you begin your jack@assery, but I know from experience, that will never happen. :foryou:

Amen.

I do a good job cracking the slab, but those new inner wells are a PITA.  The old slabs were a cinch. Just crack 'em with your hands, and the well had more protection around the book. I hate "improvements".