• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could X-Men 1 ever be a valuable collectible? 1991 issue
4 4

66 posts in this topic

On 2/9/2022 at 2:36 AM, Lightning55 said:

Both

Correct. I just checked my copies. The regular version has low grade paper quality, but has the poster with Omega Red on it. The gatefold has higher quality glossy paper PLUS another page of Omega Red drawings with a note on him debuting in XM#4.

The gatefold actually collects all of the posters from the other copies in to one. I think that is the copy to have although I think both will be sought after if Omega Red is rumored to be in any future movies…

D7E6A112-7C7C-4B40-BB80-E82BE0F27015.jpeg

C468043E-36DA-4EE2-B619-F7486D503E3B.jpeg

44317BEC-60F1-49A3-A47B-FF4587BA27FD.jpeg

Edited by AGGIEZ

On 2/8/2022 at 10:31 AM, F For Fake said:

Lots of nostalgia tied in with this book, for a lot of folks. Even with the millions printed, someone will always want them. I used to buy every copy I'd find for 50 cents or less, or I'd pay a buck if they were in particularly nice shape. A couple/few years later, now those same shops who were selling them for 50 cents are now asking $7-$10, even $15-$20. And someone is buying them! So, I will keep buying them if I find them for a buck or less, because it's apparently still worthwhile to do so.

I sold a set of all copies for $50-60 and was happy. You're right...these are nostalgic for quite a few collectors out there. 

On 2/9/2022 at 10:48 AM, AGGIEZ said:

I sold a set of all copies for $50-60 and was happy. You're right...these are nostalgic for quite a few collectors out there. 

1A 120

1B 68

1C 120

1D 93

1E 76

and Xmen 5 165

All on auction a few months ago, all CGC 9.8 old style holders

On 2/8/2022 at 10:31 AM, F For Fake said:

Lots of nostalgia tied in with this book, for a lot of folks. Even with the millions printed, someone will always want them. I used to buy every copy I'd find for 50 cents or less, or I'd pay a buck if they were in particularly nice shape. A couple/few years later, now those same shops who were selling them for 50 cents are now asking $7-$10, even $15-$20. And someone is buying them! So, I will keep buying them if I find them for a buck or less, because it's apparently still worthwhile to do so.

I still find the deluxe version at shows and shops a lot for $2-3, and I always pick it up for that if it's in great shape. Just found one at a show last week for $2.

On 2/9/2022 at 1:27 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I still find the deluxe version at shows and shops a lot for $2-3, and I always pick it up for that if it's in great shape. Just found one at a show last week for $2.

Yes, absolutely! That's the great thing about these, is that although some people are paying a higher price for them, you can definitely still fish them out of the cheap bins. Complete sets will sell, and those deluxes, in nice shape, are an easy sale. I know it's not worth it to a lot of folks, but if I can put together a set for $5-10, and sell them for $30-$40, it's worth it to me to pick them up. The problem can be getting complete sets. For whatever reason, I always seem to come up with fewer of the Colossus cover than any of the others. I would never in a million years say this book is "scarce" or "uncommon", but my anecdotal evidence is that for I find maybe one of those for every five of the other covers. We're still talking about hundreds of thousands/millions of copies out there, but I just thought it was interesting that I see that one less frequently. I wonder if that's just a local thing.

On 2/9/2022 at 1:59 PM, F For Fake said:

Yes, absolutely! That's the great thing about these, is that although some people are paying a higher price for them, you can definitely still fish them out of the cheap bins. Complete sets will sell, and those deluxes, in nice shape, are an easy sale. I know it's not worth it to a lot of folks, but if I can put together a set for $5-10, and sell them for $30-$40, it's worth it to me to pick them up. The problem can be getting complete sets. For whatever reason, I always seem to come up with fewer of the Colossus cover than any of the others. I would never in a million years say this book is "scarce" or "uncommon", but my anecdotal evidence is that for I find maybe one of those for every five of the other covers. We're still talking about hundreds of thousands/millions of copies out there, but I just thought it was interesting that I see that one less frequently. I wonder if that's just a local thing.

That's funny - for me I can never seem to find the Magneto cover! And I seem to find the deluxe almost more than the others for some reason.

On 2/9/2022 at 3:02 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

That's funny - for me I can never seem to find the Magneto cover! And I seem to find the deluxe almost more than the others for some reason.

Magneto is pretty close to the Colossus cover in "rarity", for me. The Storm and Cyclops covers I can find by the bucket full, but the other two are definitely less common. I do see the deluxe fairly often, I wonder if it's because folks took better care of it back in the day because it was the "best" of the five? Who knows. I DO know that I see folks trying to squeeze $20 out of it sometimes and I'm just like no, no way ha But like you, $1-$3, I'll still pick them up. 

On 2/9/2022 at 12:42 PM, AGGIEZ said:

Correct. I just checked my copies. The regular version has low grade paper quality, but has the poster with Omega Red on it. The gatefold has higher quality glossy paper PLUS another page of Omega Red drawings with a note on him debuting in XM#4.

The gatefold actually collects all of the posters from the other copies in to one. I think that is the copy to have although I think both will be sought after if Omega Red is rumored to be in any future movies…

This is true. But they also released one cover per week, with the gatefold edition being last, so depending on how much one wants to quibble, the gatefold arguably isn't any sort of "1st" since all of the posters were published in previous weeks.

On 2/9/2022 at 9:33 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

X-Men #1 and Spider-man #1...books I always pick up if I can find a raw copy in good shape.  Cheap, nostalgic, fantastic art, and they make great gifts to kids.

***Comic book crack...get'em hooked on the hobby younglol

20220201_205724.jpg

20220201_205759.jpg

20220201_205827.jpg

20220201_205858.jpg

20220201_205930.jpg

On 2/10/2022 at 8:52 AM, The Meta said:

Have to note, all 3 of those purple webs were poly bagged. Luckily I saved one, I didn't know at the time that CGC had to be the ones to remove them to note they were bagged

Does that notation matter? Curious...

On 2/10/2022 at 7:52 AM, The Meta said:

Have to note, all 3 of those purple webs were poly bagged. Luckily I saved one, I didn't know at the time that CGC had to be the ones to remove them to note they were bagged

I'm actually wrong on this, I had thought I unbagged these years ago, but turns out they really were the regular issues.

The polybagged ones have a tell under the price box with colour missing on the knee

On 2/10/2022 at 7:31 PM, The Meta said:
On 2/10/2022 at 8:52 AM, The Meta said:

I'm actually wrong on this, I had thought I unbagged these years ago, but turns out they really were the regular issues.

The polybagged ones have a tell under the price box with colour missing on the knee

I'm not sure CGC is consistent on the labeling.

My purple web version has the missing color on the knee, but they didn't mention the polybag on the label.

1275104186_0706068023_12001.jpg.d77ab27aa99962d1c3a2c174d2d685a1.jpg

Meanwhile, my gray web version mentions the polybag but doesn't have missing color on the knee...

1130941898_0154747024_12001.jpg.0782b8dcf9bef55f69e3002344710d0e.jpg

On 2/12/2022 at 9:37 PM, KCode98 said:

What does the “poly bag” have to do as far as “value”? What is it representing and what do collectors possibly see from it vs the normal? 

I don't know how much it actually moves the needle, but the number of polybagged copies is a subset of the number of total copies, so basically it sets the polybagged apart as a "different variant" if you look at it that way.