• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade Bump when re-submitting for Signature Series?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how common (or uncommon) grade bumps/drops are when re-submitting a slabbed book for a signature? I'm thinking about sending in my GSXM #1 for a Claremont signature and I'm hoping that, with a press, the book might get a bump. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

GSXM 1.jpg

it happens sometimes.  and sometimes the grade lowers.  Probably depends mostly on the type of defects your book has, the presser, and luck.  If you want some help, post the grader notes and as many closeup pictures of your comic as possible.  The opinions you get based on those will be more useful than any anecdotal answers you get from an extremely small sample size of internet strangers.

I've had both and will always add pressing now when I submit for sig series as I generally come out ahead. I will check the grader notes and recommend you do that also to see if pressing will help. 

All sig series with previous CGC grade and then after pressing and CGC Sig:

TMNT 2 - 8.5 to 9.4

Secret Wars 8 - 8.5 to 9.6

Invaders 1 - 9.2 to 9.6

New Mutants 18 0 9.8 and kept 9.8

Only real down I've had was X-Men 4 (Omega Red) went from 9.6 down to 9.2

The bump ups more than pay for themselves. 

Edited by rexinnih

Thank you all for the feedback, In response to @revatsuggestion, I am posting more detailed images of my book along with the graders notes. This book was originally graded as an 8.0 back in 2000 when CGC was in its infancy. I had the book cleaned and pressed a couple of years ago and the book came back a 7.5😡... Honestly not sure why since it presents MUCH better than before. Grader notes indicate a "light water stain on the right top of the back cover" but honestly I cant see it and I've tried hard... Please let me know what you think. I am leaning towards submitting the book for a signature and having it pressed. Thank you all again for the great feedback!

CGC Grader Notes:

light creasing to cover
light scuffing to cover
light water stain right top of back cover

IMG_2866.jpg

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg

IMG_2869.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

IMG_2873.jpg

IMG_2874.jpg

my 2 cents out of the 25 I have

find a dependable presser and seek out their opinion on if you would likely get a grade bump or not and have them crack and press it if they think you would

do not bother with CCS 

also remember no matter what you decide, there is always the risk of potentially damaging the book (in or out of slab) with any extra handling/shipping

also from what evidence I have seen, CGC has been particularly tough on grades handed out to bronze age books lately 

and one final thing I would add that you might want to keep in mind, though Claremont is synonymous with the X-Men franchise, he had nothing to do with GSXM1, maybe there is a more appropriate book to send instead

Thanks @StillOnly25Cents. Your advise is well taken. Regarding the Chris Claremont sig., I had read that he was actually an uncredited collaborator to Len Wein. In fact, gocollect lists him as part of the writing talent on the book. I believe the story goes that Claremont came up with the idea of severing Krakoa's magnetic fields and having it launch into space. I'll include a link to the article below. In any case, I have other books that I'm sending in for Claremont's signature and I'll give this one a little more thought (including the pressing advise). Thanks again for weighing in. Much appreciated!

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-giant-size-chris-claremont-secret-assist/

On 2/8/2022 at 11:51 AM, Nilo2 said:

Another good point @gregwynn. My answer to your question would be a resounding NO! If this book were to come back with a further grade drop I would need a sedative....

Sounds like you should not submit your book. In my opinion and experience the probability that your grade will go down is almost the same that your grade will go up, most likely your grade would stay the same but.... 

Wait, you already had it cleaned and pressed - and the grade went DOWN - and you're hoping another press will bring it up?

I would think the 1st pressing, if done correctly, would have already taken care of the pressable defects.  Your only hope would be that you get softer grading when re-sent.  

Never had one bump up unless I had it pressed. But this latest drop in score is the last I will ever receive. 

I'm done with buying a slabed 9.8 book and then having it signed and then the grade drops.

Many many thousands of dollars spent since 2006 , and I'm done.