• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would this be considered restored and can it be removed?

15 posts in this topic

On 2/7/2022 at 8:10 PM, dockpig said:

Would love to get this graded but fear the purple label. Looks like red and black marker.  Thanks 

6DF00D5C-F080-4E28-AD16-6254DF1C8050.jpeg

508A537B-F624-4B2F-A7CC-20CE9416C4C5.jpeg

That's definitely colour touch I'm afraid, Dockpig. CGC remove colour touch by scraping the affected part of the book away I believe. In this case, the cover would fall off so there's not much scope for anything other than a restored label, if you go ahead and slabulate it. 

On 2/7/2022 at 12:16 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

That's definitely colour touch I'm afraid, Dockpig. CGC remove colour touch by scraping the affected part of the book away I believe. In this case, the cover would fall off so there's not much scope for anything other than a restored label, if you go ahead and slabulate it. 

Indeed. That bleedthrough to the other side is immediately telling and will yield an Amateur notation. But on that particular book the color touch is so bad that confirming it via the bleedthrough is hardly necessary. As Marwood says, it is so extensive that removal would result in a nearly complete or completely detached cover. Looks like they also hit the bottom as indicated by the inside cover shot, so removing that may give a trimmed label. I have to wonder if there is even more color touch we cannot see. A full size pic of the inside and outside front cover would be really helpful in determining the true extent.

On 2/7/2022 at 5:26 PM, PovertyRow said:

Indeed. That bleedthrough to the other side is immediately telling and will yield an Amateur notation. But on that particular book the color touch is so bad that confirming it via the bleedthrough is hardly necessary. As Marwood says, it is so extensive that removal would result in a nearly complete or completely detached cover. Looks like they also hit the bottom as indicated by the inside cover shot, so removing that may give a trimmed label. I have to wonder if there is even more color touch we cannot see. A full size pic of the inside and outside front cover would be really helpful in determining the true extent.

DB068B70-03D0-4FE2-881D-B7A8D2C792C0.jpeg

BA101BA3-2991-4731-8AE7-0B50EB2A0F16.jpeg

On 2/8/2022 at 6:55 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Yes, and yes, but it would be difficult and/or ugly to remove.

It’s unfortunate because the rest of the cover is quite nice. At least it will display well in that purple label. 

On 2/8/2022 at 7:35 AM, dockpig said:

Dunno guess I was so eager to grade it before now I’m not sure. It’s staying in the PC

Something I just noticed: I don't think that the CCA stamp is supposed to be red...

I have been in the mode of suggesting that people keep it raw if it's staying in the PC. With the current costs, and TATs, I'm just not seeing much of a reason to submit unless it's for signing or selling.

On 2/8/2022 at 7:39 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Something I just noticed: I don't think that the CCA stamp is supposed to be red...

I have been in the mode of suggesting that people keep it raw if it's staying in the PC. With the current costs, and TATs, I'm just not seeing much of a reason to submit unless it's for signing or selling.

Good point. And yes that stamp has been colored in too. Think that is crayon