• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Color Bleed in 2008 Slab
3 3

11 posts in this topic

This is what happens when the shear stress that develops between the inner well and the ink layer exceeds the shear strength between the ink layer and the underlying cover stock.  Why did the shear stress develop?  The comic moved downward while its top edge was "stuck" to the inner well.  My degree of confidence in this explanation?  99.999%  (thumbsu

Much obliged for the feedback. I had figured the cause - I’m more curious about how prevalent this problem may be. I also did figure it might be poor printing on this issue/batch, and excess moisture at the time of slabbing is also an interesting consideration. 

On 2/9/2022 at 9:11 AM, zzutak said:

This is what happens when the shear stress that develops between the inner well and the ink layer exceeds the shear strength between the ink layer and the underlying cover stock.  Why did the shear stress develop?  The comic moved downward while its top edge was "stuck" to the inner well.  My degree of confidence in this explanation?  99.999%  (thumbsu

Would you consider it a condition of poor storage?

Joe's explanation is completely reasonable.  Moisture can increase the "grip" between the inner well and the cover (compare the effort required to slide moist versus dry paper on a smooth countertop or desktop).  Moisture can also weaken the bond between the ink layer and the underlying cover stock (think partial delamination).

Remember, failure occurs when stress exceeds strength, so the root cause of this failure could be due to either excessive shear stress or inadequate shear strength (perhaps due to a manufacturing anomaly that resulted in poor adherence between the cover ink and underlying cover stock along the top edge).

On 2/9/2022 at 9:47 AM, joeypost said:

The truth is that it is most likely a combination of all these things. But I have seen shearing, tearing and ink loss due to the inner well fitting poorly. 

Well, that's a big YIKES.