• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping hundreds of comic books?
2 2

15 posts in this topic

So I got a good problem. I have a couple of friends that want to give me their comic books. Unfortunately, they're in different states. One has 3 short boxes worth and the other has 2. Is there a way to ship them without them getting destroyed in the process? My friend with the 3 boxes has a bunch of Uncanny X-men from the mid to late 80's. We're talking from 210 to 280's. I don't know what shape they're in, but there's definitely a 221, 244, and 266 in there. Any suggestions?

Edited by Kerdese

I think you're always going to run a risk shipping that many in one box.  But I have sent 100-200 before by sandwiching them together tightly, putting them inside a bag, taping that bag up the gills so it's one super tight brick of books, and then putting them in a bunch of bubble wrap in a larger box.  I'd probably mail the 221, 244, 266 separately from the main box.

Ask Bob Beerbohm how he did it that time. It only took him some 11 odd months, a new destination he picked at random (nowhere near where the buyer lived) and threw regular tanties. I'm sure he's a beacon of knowledge just waiting to be tapped. :shy:

Are your friends gonna pack them books up tight and secure? (shrug)

go get them

if boxes are full, yes put a second lid on the bottom, tape them up like The Mummy and away they go. But if there is room in the box it has to be filled.

On 2/12/2022 at 8:38 AM, Bird said:

Are your friends gonna pack them books up tight and secure? (shrug)

go get them

if boxes are full, yes put a second lid on the bottom, tape them up like The Mummy and away they go. But if there is room in the box it has to be filled.

I’ve received short boxes shipped like this and books have arrived safely so I 2nd this suggestion 

I shipped a long box of comics once. I left enough room so that I could pack each end of the box with paper, packing peanuts or bubble wrap. It got there fine.

I wouldn't recommend this for valuable books though.

Short boxes ship better than long boxes. You can also search your local recycling for a box big enough for the short box to fit in and fill the rest with packing materials.   With comic boxes, realize the various handlers will be grabbing the hand holes so keep that in mind when putting the books in. Do not tape over the handholes. 

Edited by shadroch

On 2/12/2022 at 12:05 PM, shadroch said:

Short boxes ship better than long boxes. You can also search your local recycling for a box big enough for the short box to fit in and fill the rest with packing materials.   With comic boxes, realize the various handlers will be grabbing the hand holes so keep that in mind when putting the books in. Do not tape over the handholes. 

this is the voice of experience (I think)

I do box in box all the time, it is best in the end. make sure all 12 edges are reinforced/secure. It also dissuades inspection in my mind should that be relevant.