• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

At the Atlanta Airport today, I saw this......

9 posts in this topic

On 2/13/2022 at 2:02 PM, 10centcomics said:

Sad to see those covers faded to oblivion! Put those things under museum glass or something!

I believe pretty much the same thing also happened to all of those key GA books that were brought in the first Sotheby's Auction back in the early 90's, as I believe they went on display as part of some kind of trevelling circus show around the country.  :(

On 2/13/2022 at 5:46 PM, PopKulture said:

My copy of that Smilin' Jack coloring book is the last thing I bought from the Chicago-area dealer legend, Joe Sarno, before he passed.  

It's nice for the public to be able to see historical items like these, but to sacrifice them to the sun gods seems a bit contradictory to the conservationist you would think embodied in those same souls who would curate an exhibit like this... (shrug)

Smiling_Jack_coloring_book.jpg

Wow, gorgeous copy.  Looks like it's fresh off the press.  76 YEARS OLD!

On 2/14/2022 at 6:46 AM, PopKulture said:

It's nice for the public to be able to see historical items like these, but to sacrifice them to the sun gods seems a bit contradictory to the conservationist you would think embodied in those same souls who would curate an exhibit like this... (shrug)

My impression of the display (just from the pictures shown here) of the various items (not just the comics) is that they weren't high dollar items and therefore probably not much thought was put into that.  I would also guess that the comics displayed weren't particularly expensive copies.

Or, the comics might have been pretty faded already.  The ribbon part of the DFC medal and unit patches on display don't look they've experienced too much fading as a result of being displayed. 

On 2/14/2022 at 1:17 AM, tth2 said:

My impression of the display (just from the pictures shown here) of the various items (not just the comics) is that they weren't high dollar items and therefore probably not much thought was put into that.  I would also guess that the comics displayed weren't particularly expensive copies.

Or, the comics might have been pretty faded already.  The ribbon part of the DFC medal and unit patches on display don't look they've experienced too much fading as a result of being displayed. 

Once graded I'm pretty sure HA photography could fix the minor color fade issues.