• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Securing ratio variants

7 posts in this topic

Good afternoon, 

I haven’t been involved in the modern comic book market for a while and noticed that ratio variants are coming out for almost every major book. I was wondering if only distributors have the ability to order say 25 copies of a book to be able to get a 1:25, or if there’s a way for me, the lowly comic enthusiast, to order 25 copies of a book before FOC and secure a 1:25 copy without having to pay the outlandish prices on the secondary market. I tried searching for this information as well as calling my LCS but couldn’t find an answer.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Thanks Sweedy!

I’ll definitely ask a different LCS, the one I called said I could preorder the 25 and they’d set aside the 1:25 for me at the normal cost they’d charge in store for it (around $40). I asked a few online sites too and they were more than happy to let me preorder 25 books and then keep the unlocked 1:25 for themselves. I’ll keep asking around until I find a shop that’s willing to work with me, just wanted to know if they were actually out there!

thanks again!

On 2/16/2022 at 1:33 PM, Jcrawl said:

Thanks Sweedy!

I’ll definitely ask a different LCS, the one I called said I could preorder the 25 and they’d set aside the 1:25 for me at the normal cost they’d charge in store for it (around $40). I asked a few online sites too and they were more than happy to let me preorder 25 books and then keep the unlocked 1:25 for themselves. I’ll keep asking around until I find a shop that’s willing to work with me, just wanted to know if they were actually out there!

thanks again!

I would think long and hard before jumping into the ratio covers.  It gets expensive and do you really want to sit on 25 copies of a book just to get 1 1:25?

On 2/16/2022 at 4:33 PM, Jcrawl said:

Thanks Sweedy!

thanks again!

emphasize that your 25 are getting the 1, and that they can get their own as always but that your order will help them qualify for 1:50s etc that they may not otherwise qualify for. if you order 25 you should get the 1:10 AND the 1:25, which is how I was doing it when I worked with a LCS. I was getting 30% off, so he was still making money easy peasy. Also you should be able to get first choice of copies if you can get there early, as most LCS couldn't care about tiny dings, they put it all on the shelf. If you order 50 you should get 5 1:10s, 2 1:25s and the 1:50 (assuming they all exist), all at same % off cover as you are paying for the others

On 2/16/2022 at 4:41 PM, ExNihilo said:

I would think long and hard before jumping into the ratio covers.  It gets expensive and do you really want to sit on 25 copies of a book just to get 1 1:25?

this is smart. Even breaking even on the regular copies is a pain, you have to store and look at them for a few years and they add up quickly.

Thanks for the information everyone, I’ll definitely have a better idea of what to ask for at the next shop. I don’t plan on doing this too often, but for some books the 1:25 ends up costing as much on the secondary market as it would be to get 25 copies at cover.