• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VHS collecting
2 2

146 posts in this topic

Hey all. Very new here, but am looking for advice.

I got my hands on some very good condition sealed Star Wars and ESB VHSs from '84 (sadly, no RotJ). What I want to know is, are they worth getting graded? If so, what's the best place to get them graded at? I know I'm on the CGC site, but don't know if they do VHSs. I've also heard IGS may be a scam, but I believe I've seen legit auctions for them. VHSDNA isn't accepting new submissions, either.

I picked them up on a lark, cause I love the original trilogy and thought the novelty of the old cassettes would be neat. Plus, you can't beat that cover art.

esb front.jpg

sw front.jpg

esb back - small.jpg

sw back - small.jpg

On 3/9/2022 at 9:22 AM, Mr Rez said:

Hey all. Very new here, but am looking for advice.

I got my hands on some very good condition sealed Star Wars and ESB VHSs from '84 (sadly, no RotJ). What I want to know is, are they worth getting graded? If so, what's the best place to get them graded at? I know I'm on the CGC site, but don't know if they do VHSs. I've also heard IGS may be a scam, but I believe I've seen legit auctions for them. VHSDNA isn't accepting new submissions, either.

I picked them up on a lark, cause I love the original trilogy and thought the novelty of the old cassettes would be neat. Plus, you can't beat that cover art.

esb front.jpg

sw front.jpg

esb back - small.jpg

sw back - small.jpg

Your star wars appears to be an earlier printing thus has value 

Gruson would be the best person on here to confirm

From what I see most auction houses are favoring IGS and VGA for grading 

On 3/14/2022 at 10:49 PM, rabidwolf said:

1st print betamax back to the future just went for $7200 at auction on eBay - just slightly higher than the 1st print vhs return of the Jedi that sold last week at suction for $7100 from same seller.

thoughts? 

:whatthe:

On 3/18/2022 at 8:25 PM, Gruson said:

There is a $275k offer on Goonies on comiconnect too. 

WOW I saw comicconnect is auctioning VHS ending tomorrow for their recent auction but did not know they had so many straight sales up  -  just went over and checked that out and a $125k offer for an early Texas Chainsaw!! bunch of other 4 and 5 figure offers including three cult horror movies would love to own - Killer clowns, Return of the living dead and Halloween. need to step it up and find some raws of those 3 before I get priced out. 

On 3/18/2022 at 8:49 PM, Gruson said:

Yeah some big private sales have happened too. 
You can follow me on IG, I’ve been posting some from my collection as I get them back from VGA. 

silveragecollector 

thanks just sent you a request on IG

On 3/18/2022 at 11:25 PM, Gruson said:

I really don't take any of the offers on comic connect seriously. It is far too easy to list an item for an insane price then have another account make an offer that you immediately just reject - which means the 'offer' price is then advertised right there for all to see which makes people think maybe THAT number is how much it's worth at the very least (spoiler: It's not).

Until sales with prices like these actually occur via bidding in auctions and have a multiple similar data points for sales, then everything being listed seems totally inflated and artificial. This is one of the biggest collectible red flags I've ever seen in my life. 

On 3/18/2022 at 8:25 PM, Gruson said:

anybody know why the goonies first print seems to have such a high premium ask price compared to the other high end vhs’s like early Star Wars, temple, back to the future? 

On 3/23/2022 at 2:43 PM, rabidwolf said:

anybody know why the goonies first print seems to have such a high premium ask price compared to the other high end vhs’s like early Star Wars, temple, back to the future? 

rick-and-morty-i-can-answer-that-for-money.gif.31a9c7ceb79c82ca0f25e36043701c78.gif

but seriously...there is no actual reason tied to anything quantifiable (such as production scarcity, error variants, warehouse finds, etc). I have yet to see anyone provide actual production numbers or ANY data for many of these high priced VHS that pass the sniff test and are not simply conjecture. It's often easy for one to fall into the trap of thinking a lack of data might suggest rarity (for example, it's easy to find the numbers for Temple of Doom VHS which was released in the same year as the Goonies VHS. Temple sold 1.4 million units that Christmas, so one might think Goonies wasn't picked up as much and thus it is now rare). Likewise I cannot find a hard date when the VHS went out of print (which is important)

The only reason I can thus far sus out seems is general crazed nostalgic speculation by those driving the VHS craze. Remember it was only recently (2017) added to the National Film Registry for being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant” and the film’s overall tone and themes can be found in most of the recent 'hot' Hollywood properties, most notably in the likes of Stranger Things and the IT! remake, productions that have sparked the retro revolution and a fondness for all things 80s. Goonies is a movie that diehard fans might feel has been 'under appreciated' by the general public (in contrast to other very popular series like Star Wars or Back to the Future) and so both feels 'rare' by comparison and also ripe for a resurgence (especially once those young fans of Stranger Things and other 80s callbacks start to gain their own nostalgia and look back for other media). 

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 3/23/2022 at 2:36 PM, Sauce Dog said:
On 3/23/2022 at 1:43 PM, rabidwolf said:

rick-and-morty-i-can-answer-that-for-money.gif.31a9c7ceb79c82ca0f25e36043701c78.gif

but seriously...there is no actual reason tied to anything quantifiable (such as production scarcity, error variants, warehouse finds, etc). I have yet to see anyone provide actual production numbers or ANY data for many of these high priced VHS that pass the sniff test and are not simply conjecture. It's often easy for one to fall into the trap of thinking a lack of data might suggest rarity (for example, it's easy to find the numbers for Temple of Doom VHS which was released in the same year as the Goonies VHS. Temple sold 1.4 million units that Christmas, so one might think Goonies wasn't picked up as much and thus it is now rare). Likewise I cannot find a hard date when the VHS went out of print (which is important)

The only reason I can thus far sus out seems is general crazed nostalgic speculation by those driving the VHS craze. Remember it was only recently (2017) added to the National Film Registry for being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant” and the film’s overall tone and themes can be found in most of the recent 'hot' Hollywood properties, most notably in the likes of Stranger Things and the IT! remake, productions that have sparked the retro revolution and a fondness for all things 80s. Goonies is a movie that diehard fans might feel has been 'under appreciated' by the general public (in contrast to other very popular series like Star Wars or Back to the Future) and so both feels 'rare' by comparison and also ripe for a resurgence (especially once those young fans of Stranger Things and other 80s callbacks start to gain their own nostalgia and look back for other media). 

tina-wall.gif.b0c4b0a2c2fe7d73df8e2beebc2c34a8.gif

On 3/23/2022 at 2:36 PM, Sauce Dog said:

While it’s worth a lot for sure I doubt that offer is legit. 

On 3/23/2022 at 1:40 PM, Gruson said:

While it’s worth a lot for sure I doubt that offer is legit. 

So for all The vhs vets what’s that 1st print goonies listed for almost a million on Comicconect really worth? 

more better question what would the die hard vhs collectors pay for that if you had the cash? 

Edited by rabidwolf