• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VHS collecting
2 2

146 posts in this topic

I like that Night of the Comet. It's worth about $6-$800 on Laserdisc in most any grade. (Was only released in Hong Kong on LD)

Here is ROTLD on Laserdisc. Was really happy to get a high grade one. Has the original music and zombie voices.

ReturnofthelivingdeadF.jpg.0d0a0385da2eebbd1ef16ecad09d239f.jpg

Edited by Rip

On 5/10/2022 at 7:50 PM, Rip said:

I like that Night of the Comet. It's worth about $6-$800 on Laserdisc in most any grade. (Was only released in Hong Kong on LD)

Here is ROTLD on Laserdisc. Was really happy to get a high grade one. Has the original music and zombie voices.

ReturnofthelivingdeadF.jpg.0d0a0385da2eebbd1ef16ecad09d239f.jpg

Love that cover of the green zombies

Believe it or not that night of the comet vhs with white fox cbs wm was probably one of if not toughest vhs to find for me

Edited by rabidwolf
Typo

I don't get the appeal of factory sealed, graded VHS tapes, or similarly, graded video games. I've bought and sold factory sealed video games (not graded) years ago, but even then I didn't get the appeal.

Why am I supposed to value so highly the fact that VHS tapes (or video games) are factory sealed? Why should I care? I don't understand the value. (shrug)

Some will say, "You can say the same thing about comic books." While there might be minor threads of correlation, I see the collectible fields as very different.

On 5/11/2022 at 11:31 AM, KingOfRulers said:

I don't get the appeal of factory sealed, graded VHS tapes, or similarly, graded video games. I've bought and sold factory sealed video games (not graded) years ago, but even then I didn't get the appeal.

Why am I supposed to value so highly the fact that VHS tapes (or video games) are factory sealed? Why should I care? I don't understand the value. (shrug)

Some will say, "You can say the same thing about comic books." While there might be minor threads of correlation, I see the collectible fields as very different.

People personally put value into things like video games and VHS because they enjoy the game and/or movie, they're fans of the medium, they recognize the work's importance to, and influence on, the industry, and they have specific memories tied to that game/movie. When things are mass produced demand for them typically can be met, even decades after production, but when condition is taken into account you have something else entirely. So while these products may have sold tens of thousands to tens of millions of copies when they were produced, the number of surviving mint and sealed copies decades later is much smaller. The sealed markets for games and VHS were effectively manufactured, so the appeal for many is simply an opportunity to make money, but authentication and preservation are also popular reasons for grading. 

On 7/16/2022 at 4:27 PM, Rip said:

A few more fun tough ones ones. Hell Comes to Frogtown, Spider Labyrinth, Death Machine, Horror Show (House 3), Dr Hackenstein and only the 3rd copy ever to be discovered of Chopping Mall.

Chopping Mall.jpg

Grails.jpg

Now THOSE I would totally hunt down just in principal for display...Death Machine and Chopping Mall alone would make it worth it. 

On 3/14/2022 at 10:49 PM, rabidwolf said:

1st print betamax back to the future just went for $7200 at auction on eBay - just slightly higher than the 1st print vhs return of the Jedi that sold last week at suction for $7100 from same seller.

thoughts? 

Does this mean Betamax finally wins the video format wars of the 80's? :roflmao:

On 5/10/2022 at 9:15 PM, Rip said:

Here's some of my sealed CED's.

I like these as fun display pieces. Love the cover art.

Might be cool to see these graded someday.

sealed CEDs.jpg

I was thinking the same as to them as fun display pieces. I might try and get me some Star Wars and Godzilla's if I can find some in good condition and cheap!

On 7/13/2022 at 8:50 PM, rabidwolf said:

Lets bump this up with something cool: Not the best copy but an extremely tough grail to find

Goonies 1.jpg

Goonies2.jpg

Goonies3.jpg

This is awesome.  I happened to be staying in Astoria Oregon on National Goonies Day (June 7th).   When I was scheduling my trip, I had no idea I'd landed on the 37th anniversary of the Goonies release in theaters.  Has to be one of the most serendipitous situations I've ever experienced.  What a cool place to visit/explore.

On 7/16/2022 at 8:11 PM, Xenosmilus said:

A lot of the high end VHS tapes are priced very high on marketplaces and I dont think the owners of those tapes setting those prices expect to get those prices but there are not enough sales to properly set market value and as such are being set very high. I will admit I have my Goonies listed for a high price on some of the auction house marketplaces but I do not expect to get that [although still priced much lower than the tape you cited in your post.]

I have only seen one other 1st print Goonies and its graded NM/M that's listed for almost 1 million [Obviously I dont think anyone will ever pay anywhere near that]

Heritage's recent auction did have some very strong VHS prices. A goonies 2nd print in high grade went on Heritage's auction for $50,000. A "1st print of 1983 Jaws" which I believe is considered the overall second or third print of jaws went for $32,500. I have heard serious collectors are willing to pay multiples of that for a true 1st print Jaws which right now has a few known sealed copies. An early or possibly 1st print Ghostbusters went for well over 20k - not all that rare to find from what I have heard. An early/1st print? back to the future sold for 75k but that was because the owner of that tape was the actor who played Biff. 

Comicconnect and Goldin has sold very early copies of Star Wars in the 30-50k range. Comicconnect sold a 1st print terminator for over 30k early in the year. 

Luckily most of the high end 80s cult classic Horror Movies are in the 4 figure range still which is what I collect but those will probably pop in the next few years

Yes it seems that whatever speculative heat there is has been focussed into a few of the big blockbusters from the time.  

It’s funny I started collecting sealed games 20 years ago, and I get that, but sealed vhs, I just don’t get it at all.    To me, a game you liked as a kid you might have spent 100 hours on and stayed up all night trying to beat with your friends while a vhs you might have watched once or maybe twice and returned in the morning.   

I can remember as kids is all wanting a specific game for Christmas.   I sure don’t remember asking for a specific vhs or any of us caring. 

Not nearly the same level of nostalgia to me and as a result I couldn’t be less interested, but I’m sure some people enjoy it and think I’m being hypocritical; I guess that’s why they make chocolate and vanilla. 

Edited by Bronty