• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toho's GODZILLA MINUS ONE directed by Takashi Yamazaki (12/1/23)
6 6

217 posts in this topic

Had a looong day in work yesterday so I took a break in the afternoon and caught a showing.  A shame only a dozen people were in the theater cause the rest  missed a *superb* movie.  I texted my wife  afterwards that I should've waited and seen it with her as I think we would've actuallly liked it even without the Big G being her type of movie.

The best Godzilla movie I have ever seen.  By far. Seemed like a reimagining of the original movie.  It was refreshing to see G take a heel turn for a change.  This was the best portraying of Godzilla as a real force of nature.  The human side of the movie was also excellent.  It certainly deserves awards.

On 12/9/2023 at 3:59 AM, Bosco685 said:

Screenshot_20231209-0355582.png.905fe4c97bd048acd50c43ecadb53f3e.png

:whatthe:

I certainly would be surprised if it cost much more than that. Were they using American special effects companies or Japanese ones and maybe charge lesser costs?

At any rate as long as it doesn't deter them putting out additional films with similar quality then the cost doesn't matter.

On 12/9/2023 at 8:39 AM, csaag said:

At any rate as long as it doesn't deter them putting out additional films with similar quality then the cost doesn't matter.

It does if the production budget is 170M-$200M and the film makes $50M.

In this case the film is so cheap, Toho will be rolling in the Yen.

On 12/9/2023 at 11:25 AM, Bosco685 said:

It does if the production budget is 170M-$200M and the film makes $50M.

In this case the film is so cheap, Toho will be rolling in the Yen.

Ugh, meant to say that I wouldn't be surprised if it cost more than $15 million.   That's what I get for posting while taking a morning walk.

Finally got a chance to get out and see this and Holy ****! This is an incredible movie! Incredible! I don't want to say too much to spoil anything but if you like film then this is a must see no matter if your versed in Godzilla lore or not. 10/10

The score is amazing, f-ing fantastic. Love the reprisal of the original theme!

I had said in an earlier post that I hoped it could be as good as Shin Godzilla by Hideaki Anno (Evangellion creator and another 10/10 for me) and it is every bit as good. I don't mean to invite comparisons as they are both their own thing. Good for Toho studios. I hope strong word of mouth keeps this in theaters longer. A lot of people at the showing I went to this evening.

Godzilla Minus One Director Denies $15 Million Budget Claim

The latest kaiju monster movie from Japan, Godzilla Minus One, has been a smash hit with fans both in Japan and in the West. Up until now, it’s been widely reported that the film was shot with a budget of approximately $15 million USD, but it seems like that might be the case.

During a panel at Tokyo Comic Con over the weekend, Godzilla Minus One director Takashi Yamazaki disputed claims that the film was made on a $15 million budget. As reported by Twitter account Kaiju No. 14, Yamazaki responded to the claims of a high budget by saying “I wish it were that much.”

On 12/12/2023 at 9:39 PM, rexinnih said:

Sorry if this is a repeated question but is this Godzilla a standalone reboot or part of the new series with Kong and/or related to the OG Godzilla series? Thanks. 

Separate from the Legendary Pictures' MonsterVerse.

Glad to see it doing so well here in the US. Went with my sister who is an English Professor and also has a degree in Asian studies. Fluent in Japanese. She said it was really well done and is a fantastic statement about post war Japanese sentiment. I thought it was excellent. If you haven't already, go see it!