• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Never mind Bitcoin, How'd you like to own a piece of Batman?"

41 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2022 at 1:43 PM, Terry JSA said:

I’ve never understood this. If I put money towards any book, I would prefer to be the sole owner of the comic book.

Do you own any equity shares for a publicly traded company like Apple or Microsoft since it is pretty much the same kind of concept?  hm

Especially since I don't believe you would ever be able to be the sole owners of any of these companies.  :(

On 2/20/2022 at 3:41 PM, EastEnd1 said:

If this is successful... and at a mere $10 a "share" there's a good chance it will be... it could change everything.  

This has been around for a couple of years. People still buy whole comics. Nothing has really changed. 

On 2/20/2022 at 4:53 PM, lou_fine said:

Do you own any equity shares for a publicly traded company like Apple or Microsoft since it is pretty much the same kind of concept?  hm

Especially since I don't believe you would ever be able to be the sole owners of any of these companies.  :(

I don’t. What I meant was I’d rather go out and purchase “x” book for myself rather than own a piece of said book.

On 2/20/2022 at 2:00 PM, Terry JSA said:

I don’t. What I meant was I’d rather go out and purchase “x” book for myself rather than own a piece of said book.

The question then being can you actually afford to purchase the Larson copy of Batman 1 all on your own and be the sole owner of it?  hm  (shrug)

On 2/20/2022 at 2:05 PM, Terry JSA said:
On 2/20/2022 at 2:03 PM, lou_fine said:

The question then being can you actually afford to purchase the Larson copy of Batman 1 all on your own and be the sole owner of it?  hm  (shrug)

Can I afford the Larson copy? Most definitely not.

EXACTLY, and that's why if you want to participate in the potential upside for this Larson copy of Batman 1 or any of the other uber high dollar value books that Rally Road might have, the only feasible way for ordinary lower budget collectors like you and me might just be through this much more affordable fractional ownership concept.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/20/2022 at 5:36 PM, lou_fine said:

EXACTLY, and that's why if you want to participate in the potential upside for this Larson copy of Batman 1 or any of the other uber high dollar value books that Rally Road might have, the only feasible way for ordinary lower budget collectors like you and me might just be through fractional ownership.  hm

When you put it that way, it makes perfect sense. 

On 2/20/2022 at 2:01 PM, Ryan. said:
On 2/19/2022 at 10:36 AM, Robot Man said:

Really wonder how this is going to affect the comic market.

Zero percent. 

If you are referring to less collectors buying complete comic books going forward, then I would totally agree with you here?  (thumbsu

If you are referring to this new concept of buying not affecting prices for these underlying books going forward, then I would have to say there is zero percent chance that you would be correct here.  hm

On 2/20/2022 at 5:48 PM, lou_fine said:

If you are referring to less collectors buying complete comic books going forward, then I would totally agree with you here?  (thumbsu

If you are referring to this new concept of buying not affecting prices for these underlying books going forward, then I would have to say there is zero percent chance that you would be correct here.  hm

I think this means it's time for your TMNT 1 story :baiting:

On 2/20/2022 at 3:21 PM, Ryan. said:

I think this means it's time for your TMNT 1 story :baiting:

Which one would you be referring to as the old TV show used to say................there are eight million stories in The Naked City?  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/20/2022 at 6:26 PM, lou_fine said:

Which one would you be referring to as the old TV show used to say................there are eight million stories in The Naked City?  lol

You're giving me nightmares, @lou_fine. I don't want to read about naked anything in a thread about getting a piece of Batman. That's your bailiwick (and maybe Robin's depending on whom you ask).

On 2/20/2022 at 7:12 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

You're giving me nightmares, @lou_fine. I don't want to read about naked anything in a thread about getting a piece of Batman. That's your bailiwick (and maybe Robin's depending on whom you ask).

Ahhhhhh.............................jimbo, have you ever given any thought to speaking to someone professional about your rather shall we say predilection and one track mind when it comes to your interpretation of certain words and how you piece them together in your mind?  :baiting:  lol

On 2/19/2022 at 9:07 PM, pemart1966 said:

In what city will the book physically reside?

Where within that city/town will the book physically reside?

Would share owners be able to arrange to see the book?

Will the book be insured?  If so, for how much?  If not, why not?

Where does the money come from to pay the insurance premiums/storage fees?

I have an emergency and I need to sell my shares.  How do I do that?  

How is the value of my shares determined at any point in time?

Who determines when the book is to be sold?  How is it determined what site is to be used?

What prevents the custodian from selling the book and then buggering off with the proceeds?

How are any Capital Gains handled?

What are the rules surrounding the custodian's physical handling of the book?  

I'm sure that there are dozens more unknowns...

Don't buy shares if you're this paranoid 

What is the financial incentive in this for Rally Road?  Does it retain 50% of the 180,000 shares?  Thus, when the 90,000 available shares are no longer available at $10 per share and buyers become willing to pay $20 a share, Rally Road has just made $900,000?  My point is that Rally Road must be holding onto a large number of shares in order for this venture to be profitable for them.  And it's possible they could make this profit based solely on consumer demand for shares rather than on whether the actual value of the book has increased.  Can anyone here shed light on this issue?  Knowing how RR makes its profit would be useful in evaluating the safety of the investment.

Edited by RareHighGrade

On 2/19/2022 at 4:58 PM, Crowzilla said:

So CC sold the Larson Bat 1 for $390K in 2016 (which was probably still a bargain at that time). The next time it appeared it had a just under $1 million asking price on CC, but didn't sell, only to resurface and "sell" for $1.44 million in the first Goldin auction in September. and now they are helping to sell it again, this time for $1.8 million to a fractional share company.

It would appear that the common denominator in all of these transactions listed here might possibly be Metro/CC since I noticed the QES sticker on the slab when it was auctioned off by Goldin which it did not have when it was initially sold by them back in 2016.  Makes me wonder if they've had a few runs on this same book already and if they are indirectly involved in this latest Rally Road initiative to market the book.  (shrug)

Especially since I remember when I read through the legal documents posted on the boards here for the CGC 9.8 graded copy TMNT 1 and a couple of the other earlier books that Rally Road sold fractional shares for the other year, it was actually Vinnie's name at the bottom of the document as the seller of the books to Rally Road.  hm

On 2/22/2022 at 7:37 PM, RareHighGrade said:

What is the financial incentive in this for Rally Road?  Does it retain 50% of the 180,000 shares?  Thus, when the 90,000 available shares are no longer available at $10 per share and buyers become willing to pay $20 a share, Rally Road has just made $900,000?  My point is that Rally Road must be holding onto a large number of shares in order for this venture to be profitable for them.  And it's possible they could make this profit based solely on consumer demand for shares rather than on whether the actual value of the book has increased.  Can anyone here shed light on this issue?  Knowing how RR makes its profit would be useful in evaluating the safety of the investment.

Whoever is good with the Search function for these boards here should try to look up the thread for these Rally Road books when the initial batch of books were sold as there was a pretty good discussion on it at the time.  (thumbsu

If I remember correctly, there was virtually no profit for them at all once you factor in the legal and paperwork costs it must involve because the difference between what they had to pay for the books and the total of what they sold the fractional shares at was only a couple of thousand dollars, if that.  I believe the profit was based upon the theiry that the book would go up in value because I think they retain the controlling interest in the total number of shares outstanding.  As such, they can decide if and when a particular book is to be sold outright with the subsequent funds to be distributed to all of the shareholders.  In addition, the interim trading of shares for a book was not that liquid like the stock market as there were only certain time periods that it would be available for trading.  Can't remember how the value for the book was to be determined for these interim trading time periods.  hm

Any purchaser thinking of buying some shares in these books would definitely need to conduct their due diligence as I remember there was a signed legal prospectus for each one of these books which basically covered most if not all of the questions which boardies appear to be asking here.  The best way to shed light on this issue here is to dig up that old thread as somebody here posted the legal prospectus for a few of the books here.  :gossip: