• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Auction house for raw magazines

18 posts in this topic

All - I'm trying to help someone out who has inherited almost a full run of Vampirella (Warren). I'm thinking for the big issues an auction house might be her best bet as she is not a comic book person at all and doesn't really sell anything. So almost every aspect of selling these is a bit of a struggle for her. My first thought was just let heritage or clink do the hard work for her. Any thoughts?

On 2/19/2022 at 12:58 PM, wombat said:

Also, if anyone wants to ballpark a grade based on these photos that would be appreciated. 

May be an image of 1 person

My grade would be 7.5ish.  @Stevemmgwould probably grade it a 7.0.  MCS would hurt your feelings with a grade of 5.5.  CGC- Who knows?  Depends on the day.  Could be 6.0-8.5.

I don't think I would send it to Heritage.  Maybe Comiclink.  I may be way off but I'm thinking eBay.  Or here.

On 2/19/2022 at 6:32 PM, stippy52 said:

Talked to Heritage last month about selling about 600 Uber high grade late silver/ early bronze books. 
They told me to take them to my comic shop. 
I was pretty taken aback by their response. 

This surprises me as well. Is this too beneath them now? ???

On 2/20/2022 at 7:32 AM, stippy52 said:

Talked to Heritage last month about selling about 600 Uber high grade late silver/ early bronze books. 
They told me to take them to my comic shop. 
I was pretty taken aback by their response. 

Is Heritage only interested in graded sets or just not interested in this particular run, did they specify? 

On 2/21/2022 at 7:18 AM, carefulsum said:

Is Heritage only interested in graded sets or just not interested in this particular run, did they specify? 

I would say this has something to do with it, more money to be made if the are graded. 

@wombat I would look at it as follows.

Vampi #1 probably makes most sense to get graded.  It's probably somewhere in the 6.5-8.0 range.  Probably in the higher range if pressed, or lower if left as is.

Last CGC 6.5 = $1,350

Last CGC 7.0 = $1,700

Last CGC 8.0 = $2,040

Last CGC 8.5 = $3,499

If the book grades 8.0 or lower I'd say go eBay.  If it grades 8.5 or higher you could start on eBay with a BIN to see if you get bites else move to HA. 

Now, if timing is a concern...then you're probably best off listing it on eBay raw with tons of pictures.  As it will probably take 6-12 months+ to get the book Graded by CGC or more if pressing.

Okay, now for the rest of them.  Unless there are legit 9.4/9.6/9.8 candidates (which you would want to get CGC graded) I would actually say MyComicShop would be a good option (especially if the seller want to do the least amount of work). But the sales may trickle over a long stretch of time.  Or just list the remaining issues 2-113 (?) up as a lot on eBay with a well listed title.

- bounty

On 2/21/2022 at 2:18 AM, carefulsum said:

Just said they were “ a little too modern”

al A LITTLE TOO MODERN!!!???

The vast majority of the collection is from ‘69-‘73. 

I asked if he had some one I could speak with over at CGC and flat out said “No”.

The director of consignments at Heritage doesn’t know anyone at CGC. hm