• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Shop in Chatsworth, CA

14 posts in this topic

On 2/19/2022 at 5:19 PM, 50 Fiddy said:

Does anyone know if Speros Heroes in Chatsworth is still owned/run by Elliot?  There is another comic store about a half a block away, and I saw on their website a picture of several guys that used to work at Speros Heroes wearing the competitions' t-shirt.  

We Can Be Heroes? That’s a diff shop owned by 5 diff partners. Spero’s Heroes = Elliot (aka sweetest guy in comics) 

On 2/21/2022 at 8:51 AM, littledoom said:

We Can Be Heroes? That’s a diff shop owned by 5 diff partners. Spero’s Heroes = Elliot (aka sweetest guy in comics) 

Yes, that's the store.   I was surprised to see two stores so close to one another.  

On 2/21/2022 at 6:10 AM, jdraheim said:

I was in Speros Heroes about a week ago.  I was told Elliot is out for a couple of weeks due to some health issues.  They said he would be returning soon.  I got the impression he is still the owner. 

Hopefully he'll be back soon.  I was there over the weekend and the guy opening the store was about 40 minutes late.  I didn't know if it was a worker or a new owner.  I got even more confused when I saw some of Elliot's old customers/helpers working at the other place. 

On 2/21/2022 at 7:15 AM, Timely said:

Continental Comics is close by on Devonshire and Balboa (next to Denny’s). That was my lcs from 1987 until I moved in 2004. They are still there.

Funny - I was just reminiscing old times. my first comic purchased was Spawn #28 1995 from LCS blocks from Chatsworth High. Wonder is shop still open? can't remember the name of store. 

On 2/21/2022 at 2:17 PM, 50 Fiddy said:

Yes, that's the store.   I was surprised to see two stores so close to one another.  

Hopefully he'll be back soon.  I was there over the weekend and the guy opening the store was about 40 minutes late.  I didn't know if it was a worker or a new owner.  I got even more confused when I saw some of Elliot's old customers/helpers working at the other place. 

Well Speros as u know was forced to move and doesn’t supply new Wednesday comics so it’s not surprising. There’s about 5 shops in Burbank on the same block area 

On 2/21/2022 at 3:02 PM, MB1952 said:

Funny - I was just reminiscing old times. my first comic purchased was Spawn #28 1995 from LCS blocks from Chatsworth High. Wonder is shop still open? can't remember the name of store. 

There was a store back in the late 90's/early 2000's called Brave New World of Comics close to Chatsworth High.  That was my favorite store to go to at that time.  

On 2/21/2022 at 8:05 PM, littledoom said:

Well Speros as u know was forced to move and doesn’t supply new Wednesday comics so it’s not surprising. There’s about 5 shops in Burbank on the same block area 

Well, I'm glad he is still around.  I used to pick up quite a bit books from him.  The last time I was in the selection of books were pretty stale and many boxes I went through were the same stuff he had at the old location.

On 2/21/2022 at 7:15 AM, Timely said:

Continental Comics is close by on Devonshire and Balboa (next to Denny’s). That was my lcs from 1987 until I moved in 2004. They are still there.

Yup

started going to continental in high school in the early   90s 

here were some others from the late 80s/90s n the valley 

collectors dream - my personal favorite

super hero universe 

outer limits/forbidden planet

comics and fun

pee wee comics

golden apple 

i think continental is the only brick and mortar that survived to this day from the 80s or even 90s

On 2/23/2022 at 8:14 AM, Dark Knight said:

Article contains a list of valley comic book shops back in the 90's.  Brings me back some memories :preach:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1994-08-05-va-33288-story.html

Very cool thanks

i forgot flipside is actually still in business 

And Cat from comic kon has had his own store for many many years now 

mike frank collectors dream had a really good silver age key selection back in the day - haven’t been in a couple of years but he was setting up at the frank and sons mega warehouse throughout the 2010s 

Man according to that article continental was established in 1977. It’s almost as old as I am. First time I walked in there was 1990

Edited by rabidwolf

On 2/23/2022 at 11:02 AM, rabidwolf said:

Very cool thanks

i forgot flipside is actually still in business 

And Cat from comic kon has had his own store for many many years now 

mike frank collectors dream had a really good silver age key selection back in the day - haven’t been in a couple of years but he was setting up at the frank and sons mega warehouse throughout the 2010s 

Man according to that article continental was established in 1977. It’s almost as old as I am. First time I walked in there was 1990

Wow is that an old article.  Almost 30 year.

Flipside, which was my main LCS  for new books until the pandemic,  sold out and closed over a year ago. 

Collectors dream (den) was a store I traded with for years until his attitude caused him to lose his lease.  I did a long term trade and cash deal for an Xmen #1.  When I eventually submitted the book to CGC it came back an 8.5 RESTORED. By then the store had closed.  When I ran into Mike and mentioned the undisclosed restoration, his response was "You can't PROVE  that I sold you that book", and then rapidly walked away.  JUST A CROOK IMHO 

My first LCS in the valley was passport and Earle Bowman.  Sadly both have passed on.