• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A list of "warehouse find" books
7 7

109 posts in this topic

On 2/22/2022 at 11:41 AM, shadroch said:

That is a rare photo of Harley, unless you cut off the chicken in his left hand.

It was on his website.  That was the best picture ever taken of Harley (or so his web designer thought).  Harley is great.

Does anyone remember the huge batch of Dells that I think Steve Geppi had in about 1993-4 or so ? -- I remember them being across maybe 6-8 booths at Chicago that year -- 4-colors , westerns ,  Disney -- hundreds of long boxes -- I want to say  they  came from Europe -- maybe something about leftovers that were used as ballast on ships returning ? -- anybody --

On 2/22/2022 at 9:57 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I was at a show at a movie theatre lobby (!) in Pennsylvania around 2013 that had a stack of 100 of them for $5 each. 

The funny thing is Avengers Annual 10 is always tough to find at pretty much any Con I go to.  I see dozens of copies of books like X-Men 266 or Spiderman 194 but for some reason there appears to only be a couple in the whole room.  Higher grade copies are fetching $100 so it's definitely a wall book but I've actually had dealers at my local con send customers my way (even though I'm not set up) since they couldn't find any in the room.  

On 2/22/2022 at 12:28 PM, 1Cool said:
On 2/22/2022 at 9:57 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I was at a show at a movie theatre lobby (!) in Pennsylvania around 2013 that had a stack of 100 of them for $5 each. 

The funny thing is Avengers Annual 10 is always tough to find at pretty much any Con I go to.  I see dozens of copies of books like X-Men 266 or Spiderman 194 but for some reason there appears to only be a couple in the whole room.  Higher grade copies are fetching $100 so it's definitely a wall book but I've actually had dealers at my local con send customers my way (even though I'm not set up) since they couldn't find any in the room.  

The funny thing is when you showed/announced your 400 copies I immediately thought of ditching my 9.8s I got slabbed from that show.  I thought you were gonna glut the market.   

On 2/20/2022 at 1:30 PM, shadroch said:
On 2/20/2022 at 12:15 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Heroes Inc 

Image+(13).jpg

I was given a free copy. It’s that scarce.

It used to be. Wood did this as an experiment. It was supposed to be distributed only to the military but the deal fell thru and it was never distributed. Someone stole a couple hundred copies and it was very much in demand. Then the tens of thousands of copies turned up. 

I bought a case (200 copies) of these many years ago (here on the boards I believe).  Most of them are sitting in a box somewhere.

On 2/22/2022 at 12:39 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

The funny thing is when you showed/announced your 400 copies I immediately thought of ditching my 9.8s I got slabbed from that show.  I thought you were gonna glut the market.   

I wish all 400 were high grade copies but most are mid grades with none in the 9.4 - 9.8 range so I'd not be too worried about the market imploding.  I'm also in no hurry to sell them and I'm content to selling a few here or there to not put too many on the market at once.

On 2/22/2022 at 9:47 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

So should these be included?

1222620321_MH2.thumb.JPG.8ef7e79aaa358c3073fb70e846487b21.JPG

I bought X-Men #130 right from this ad (presumably an earlier version since it’s already sold from this one).  I even have the Mile High II provenance certificate of authenticity still.  Oddly enough, I had it graded for fun, and just last week it came back as a 9.2.  Decent grade, but certainly not “mile high” like the certificate explained.  Haha!

985008B1-0586-43AD-86F7-9383E63228D0.jpeg

On 2/22/2022 at 2:41 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Was that a warehouse find or part of a single unopened case? 

1.thumb.jpg.449d174a37ef2aecdd2a6c6925f0de8b.jpg

I have had these since the 90s, I bought them in the UK, it was a large collection and there were about 6 boxes or so of these in it, believe me, I didnt want them but it was an all or nothing deal and there was enough of the good stuff to tip the balance :) 

On 2/22/2022 at 9:12 AM, shadroch said:

I supose it depends on what your definition of a warehouse find is. 

If a book was being stored in quantity for years in a warehouse, I would call it a warehouse find. As every book in the MH2 collection was stored under those circumstances, are they warehouse finds? I'll leave that to you.

Longtime members might remember an ebay seller who called himself cgcking and a dozen similar names. He sold beatup SA books and would put things like CGC It or possible CGC 9.8 in a title. He was a real estate investor who bought an abandoned  warehouse in Brooklyn. It was huge, with at least forty different rooms in it and in one of them he found 200,000 comics. I believe they were the books Grand Comics bought but weren't good enough to make their grades.  I got a look at much of his stock and few books reached the mark where I'd call them 4.0s. Most were in the 1.8-2.5 range but there were tens of thousands of them.  Even though they were found in a warehouse, I would not say they were a warehouse find. 

A warehouse find must consist of a large number of undistributed Newsstand or Promotional comics. Dealer back stock that just happened to be stored in a warehouse doesn't qualify.

On 2/22/2022 at 9:12 AM, shadroch said:

Comic collectors use terms oddly. 

and loosely, and inappropriately, and...

On 2/21/2022 at 3:06 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Dell Giant #48 Bigger and Boulder (1st app The Flintstones in comics)

Overstreet also lists the Flintstones New York World’s Fair special from about 1965 as a warehouse find. I bought mine from a street vendor in NYC in the ‘80s, where they seemed to be plentiful.

On 2/23/2022 at 9:31 AM, Buzzetta said:
On 2/22/2022 at 11:29 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Added to the list. 

I have heard from a couple of different sources that ASM 33 was a warehouse find. 

It's on the list.