• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A list of "warehouse find" books
7 7

109 posts in this topic

Bobby Benson #14 with the great decapitation cover is another I'm pretty sure was found somewhere with multiple copies. It's fairly available in higher grade. As I recall a lot are 50 Ore copies and they may have been found in Denmark. 

I wonder if Hedy of Hollywood #38 wasn't found in multiples at one point, it also seems to show up in nice shape frequently.

If anyone has a copy of the old Koch-Dolgoff-Koch catalog you will find all the warehouse finds.  DD #7 was one.  I would buy 3 VG/F at 3 for $10 instead of 1 NM at $10.:tonofbricks:  X-Men #45 was another, but they had all kinds of Avengers, ASM, FF, DD and TOS.  I'm surprised I still don't have the catalog.

On 3/4/2022 at 9:23 PM, toro said:

If anyone has a copy of the old Koch-Dolgoff-Koch catalog you will find all the warehouse finds.  DD #7 was one.  I would buy 3 VG/F at 3 for $10 instead of 1 NM at $10.:tonofbricks:  X-Men #45 was another, but they had all kinds of Avengers, ASM, FF, DD and TOS.  I'm surprised I still don't have the catalog.

Yeah, I bought a lot of books from the Koch Bros. from their TBG/CBG ads.  I do not remember if I had that catalog.  I also ordered from from Gary Dolgoff but I had great luck with the Koch books as far as grade.  So may with multiple copies available - I doubt I knew what a warehouse find was back in the 70s (not sure I know now, lol ) 

I am not sure if they were considered finds but I bought copies of early issues of Captain Britain.  I had them graded and my #1 1 came back as a 9.4, #2 as 9.6.  If I remember correctly, I ordered several copies of Wein/Wrightson Swamp Things (no #1 but others -- at least I think it was from the Kochs) - the #8 and #9 especially.  I still have them and they are really nice.  When I played around with SS, I had Wrightson sign a few of them.

The Fawcett mighty midget comics were once $200+ items. (Might still be in Overstreet - I haven't bought a copy in years.) Then about a decade ago they started appearing in large numbers and I was told that there had been a big find of them. I got my high grade copy for under $20.

image.png.6775d0eb0eb33a07181fe9aaad091b05.png

I have got a couple of Graded Mile High ll's  that i bought directly from them many years ago.

They ALWAYS exclude graded books from their special sales.  For some reason they must have really heeded money  and included them  this one time.

I finally decided that the prices were reasonable and bought about a dozen for about $25 each.  I think this was perhaps back in 2003.  I don't recall slabs ever being a part of their sales since

I must have gotten this Dallas Stephens  in that same order

92SuperboyTheLSH226MHII.jpg

96FantasticFour221MHII.jpg

92Back.jpg

96Back.jpg

80BackDallasStephens.jpg

80OperationBikini1DallasStephens.jpg

On 3/5/2022 at 7:47 AM, telerites said:

Yeah, I bought a lot of books from the Koch Bros. from their TBG/CBG ads.  I do not remember if I had that catalog.  I also ordered from from Gary Dolgoff but I had great luck with the Koch books as far as grade.  So may with multiple copies available - I doubt I knew what a warehouse find was back in the 70s (not sure I know now, lol ) 

I am not sure if they were considered finds but I bought copies of early issues of Captain Britain.  I had them graded and my #1 1 came back as a 9.4, #2 as 9.6.  If I remember correctly, I ordered several copies of Wein/Wrightson Swamp Things (no #1 but others -- at least I think it was from the Kochs) - the #8 and #9 especially.  I still have them and they are really nice.  When I played around with SS, I had Wrightson sign a few of them.

I bought Daredevil #6 through #20, multiple copies, all vf/nm or higher from Koch in the mid-80s.I used those as trading stock for at least 10 years. I remember he sent me one batch and of the (3) Daredevil 10s I had ordered and one was obviously in worse shape. Still a strong f/vf but obviously inferior to the other 2 books. I called their number, told them the problem, and they said a new person had been pulling books from the wrong bins. They did not know who got the wrong books and was just hoping people would call to complain so they could correct the problem. From this conversation, I assumed this meant that Koch had not just "bins" of Daredevil #10 but "bins" of sorted and graded Daredevil #10s. Blew my mind. Would have been 1987 or 1988.

I always blamed this Koch find on why early Daredevil never really increased in value for decades. Same goes for Tales of Suspense and Tales to Astonish.

These were from a warehouse find. Not mine but a table I saw at Oafcon in Norman Oklahoma a few years ago. Four color 700 "Walt Disney's Water Birds and the Olympic Elk". Probably 30 copies on the table with more under the table, if memory serves. Same for Four Color 775 "Sir Lancelot and Brian." There were not as many copies of the ones on the front of the table.Maybe 5 to 10 of each. Four Colors 699, 738, 786, and one more I cannot identify.

WP_20181006_Oafcon_Dealer_Table_highres.thumb.jpg.569a16ba74b358af6032ce0dfe8e17a2.jpg

On 3/7/2022 at 2:26 PM, Badger said:

These were from a warehouse find. Not mine but a table I saw at Oafcon in Norman Oklahoma a few years ago. Four color 700 "Walt Disney's Water Birds and the Olympic Elk". Probably 30 copies on the table with more under the table, if memory serves. Same for Four Color 775 "Sir Lancelot and Brian." There were not as many copies of the ones on the front of the table.Maybe 5 to 10 of each. Four Colors 699, 738, 786, and one more I cannot identify.

WP_20181006_Oafcon_Dealer_Table_highres.thumb.jpg.569a16ba74b358af6032ce0dfe8e17a2.jpg

The other one mostly hidden on the left is “Quentin Durward”, Four Color #672.

On 3/7/2022 at 4:26 PM, Badger said:

probably still be unsold 30 years from now 

I'll add another story. Not really a warehouse find but more of a guy's "My dad was a thief for 20 years and I'm going to profit off his labors" story. :flipbait:

I went to a Dallas Fantasy fair in 1991/1992. At this convention were the typical dealer booths hawking clothes, comics, bootleg VHS tapes and CDs, along with some big name dealers. There, however, was one table where a man sat with 2 other men and stacks of brown paper bags. A crowd about 2 deep gathered around the table with cash literally in hand trying to buy the paper bags. Curious, I asked one of the people on the sidelines what was going on. Apparently, each of the bags held either an Iron Man #1 or an Iron Man/Submariner #1. Iron Man #1 on the left side of the table and the other on the right side. When it is your turn to choose, you can select up to 5 bags. You must pull out the books at the table and if you feel a book is of inferior quality you can trade it for a different bag. One time per person. Price: $300, cash, per bag.

I stood there for a while, watching, as buying and trading went on and it finally became my turn. By this point I had seen probably a dozen of the Iron Man #1s that had been purchased, all flawless according to late 1980s grading standards :). Seriously though, they were beautiful. I had the cash to buy 3 bags. While I opened each book, to see if I wanted to trade any of them back, I took the opportunity to talk to the man running the show.

He told me that his dad had delivered magazines and comics to newsstands around the area for 20 years. Sometimes, parts of the delivery "fell off the truck" and he would take these unopened boxes and bales of comics and magazines back to his house where he stored them. After 20 years of this, he filled up his basement and attic with sundry paper products. His dad then retired and then died roughly 10 years later. His family has been going through all of the stuff he had squirrelled away and knew, because of a newspaper article about how valuable comics could be, that the comics could be worth something. They threw out the magazines :whatthe:. The comics were divvied up and the son got the Submariner/Iron Man #1s and the Iron Man #1s. 

The son shopped the books around to various comic stores but he felt they were all trying to rip him off. Somehow he learned of the show and decided that renting a table and selling them there was the way to go. It could be that one of the stores had told him that it would be best to sell them there but I just do not remember. I do not know how many he had, 100s?, but he sold them at a constant rate the day I was there. I believe he was getting low on Iron Man #1s by the end of the day but again...memory. 

I sold one of the ones I bought to a friend of mine who later had it graded and it came back a 9.2. Prettiest 9.2 you have ever seen. It was downgraded by Steve due to having oversaturation of the purple ink in one thumbnail-sized spot on the front cover. Basically, a printing defect. I keep trying to get my friend to send it back in because I'm sure it would grade much higher now. Another one I sold to a customer of the comic book store I worked  for at the time, New World Comics in OKC, who would not stop badgering/begging me to sell it to him. I have no idea where the 3rd one ended up. I moved around the country and it disappeared in one of the moves.:violin: Sure wish I had it now.

Just a reminder that Mile High Chuck for years said that whatever books were left from the MH2 collection had long been mixed into his regulat inventory and was now indistinguishable from it. In other words- he had no MH2 books to sell. Then CGC came along and a pallet or two of these books were " discovered" just in time to be slabbed. 

On 3/9/2022 at 11:44 AM, shadroch said:

Just a reminder that Mile High Chuck for years said that whatever books were left from the MH2 collection had long been mixed into his regulat inventory and was now indistinguishable from it. In other words- he had no MH2 books to sell. Then CGC came along and a pallet or two of these books were " discovered" just in time to be slabbed. 

Kinda begs the question of what is going to happen to the Mile High inventory when Chuck passes away.  Even if he has heirs that can afford to keep the store going with it's large overhead costs, one would think that it would be rare to find someone who can also afford the "I don't like to sell my inventory" philosophy.

On 3/7/2022 at 12:38 PM, spideyfan68 said:

Aways heard SSM #2 was a warehouse find book

16946ACD-A140-43A2-93DC-83A1F3D34E2D.webp

Makes sense - MHC were giving that book away free with orders over a certain amount (and not a very high one - $25?) at one stage in the early 90s. I got one through that deal, but traded it later.

On 3/10/2022 at 3:38 AM, RonS2112 said:

Kinda begs the question of what is going to happen to the Mile High inventory when Chuck passes away.  Even if he has heirs that can afford to keep the store going with it's large overhead costs, one would think that it would be rare to find someone who can also afford the "I don't like to sell my inventory" philosophy.

Chuck discussed his succession plan (or lack thereof) with us here: