• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help for a purchase
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! I need help from someone who is certainly more experienced than me.
I would like to buy the comic that I show you in the picture, to make it graduate and verify if necessary. could it be a fake? should you buy it? in case how much? thanks to all in advance

Screenshot_20220222-143635_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20220222-143648_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20220222-143700_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20220222-143707_Messenger.jpg

The signature looks legit to me, but CGC will not verify for you.  They only verify signatures if the book is witnessed by an authorized rep (which this book is not).  You would get a green label if you submitted this.   Also, the pics are a little blurry but the book doesn't appear to be high grade enough (IMO) to warrant grading costs (especially since the sig wouldn't be verified).   

If you do buy it, just keep it raw and enjoy it that way.   

How much is the asking price?  

There are other companies that verify signatures, in the event that it is very important to you, of course the signature might not be verified.

if you are set on this comic for some reason, nothing wrong with that.  But there are literally tens of thousands of comics on eBay and other websites that are Cgc SS signed by Stan Lee, I bet you can find something you’re interested if you prefer a certified signature.  

that being said, if you are considering this comic, I’d pay $25 on a good day if the condition is nice and I saw it in person.  I might pay more if I loved this issue, or less if there were other issues I liked more around.

On 2/22/2022 at 4:10 PM, chrisco37 said:

The signature looks legit to me, but CGC will not verify for you.  They only verify signatures if the book is witnessed by an authorized rep (which this book is not).  You would get a green label if you submitted this.   Also, the pics are a little blurry but the book doesn't appear to be high grade enough (IMO) to warrant grading costs (especially since the sig wouldn't be verified).   

If you do buy it, just keep it raw and enjoy it that way.   

How much is the asking price?  

Asking for 130€ 

On 2/22/2022 at 4:16 PM, revat said:

There are other companies that verify signatures, in the event that it is very important to you, of course the signature might not be verified.

if you are set on this comic for some reason, nothing wrong with that.  But there are literally tens of thousands of comics on eBay and other websites that are Cgc SS signed by Stan Lee, I bet you can find something you’re interested if you prefer a certified signature.  

that being said, if you are considering this comic, I’d pay $25 on a good day if the condition is nice and I saw it in person.  I might pay more if I loved this issue, or less if there were other issues I liked more around.

So, the requested price of 130€ is too high! Thank you very much for the help. I'm a comics reader, i'd like to have a Stan Lee's signed book, but for a legit price

On 2/22/2022 at 8:14 AM, Mattiaruotolo said:
On 2/22/2022 at 7:16 AM, revat said:

So, the requested price of 130€ is too high! Thank you very much for the help. I'm a comics reader, i'd like to have a Stan Lee's signed book, but for a legit price

Wellll.... hold on....there's a lot of things that go into deciding what the price to pay would be for EACH INDIVIDUAL.

SOunds like you are asking about a price in Euros, AND it sounds like your now looking for a book signed by Stan, BUT TO READ.  CGC SS books are typically encapsulated, and breaking them out of the slab to read would kill nearly all the value of the book.  So it sounds like you want a raw book (unslabbed) to read.  And now its sounds like you're in Europe, in a non-English speaking country. 

I, living in America with generally easy access to many comic book stores both in person and online, and relatively easy shipping/returns, can find a comic signed by Stan Lee fairly easily, at a full spectrum of prices.  I think the minimum I'd see on something like that in America is $50.  I wouldn't buy it at $50 because its a super random issue with no special meaning to me, and I don't mind paying $25-$50 more for an issue I actually like, or $200 more for a comic in a CGC slab with a certified witnessed signature.

If I were in a non-English speaking European country where comics shops and selection were much more rare, and international shipping were much more expensive...I might see things differently from a seller and buyer perspective.  There's a lot of value in inspecting something in hand with your own eye, and taking it home today, and knowing I won't be frauded by someone across the sea, or that it won't get lost/damaged/caught in customs.  How much value is up to the individual.  And for the seller they ideally need to make a certain amount of profit on each item and the cost of replacement might be a bigger factor than the initial cost to them.

But yes, probably too much to pay.  But you may considering doing some research on other books, and then maybe go back to the person with an offer of something lower.

Edited by revat

On 2/22/2022 at 6:37 PM, revat said:

Wellll.... hold on....there's a lot of things that go into deciding what the price to pay would be for EACH INDIVIDUAL.

SOunds like you are asking about a price in Euros, AND it sounds like your now looking for a book signed by Stan, BUT TO READ.  CGC SS books are typically encapsulated, and breaking them out of the slab to read would kill nearly all the value of the book.  So it sounds like you want a raw book (unslabbed) to read.  And now its sounds like you're in Europe, in a non-English speaking country. 

I, living in America with generally easy access to many comic book stores both in person and online, and relatively easy shipping/returns, can find a comic signed by Stan Lee fairly easily, at a full spectrum of prices.  I think the minimum I'd see on something like that in America is $50.  I wouldn't buy it at $50 because its a super random issue with no special meaning to me, and I don't mind paying $25-$50 more for an issue I actually like, or $200 more for a comic in a CGC slab with a certified witnessed signature.

If I were in a non-English speaking European country where comics shops and selection were much more rare, and international shipping were much more expensive...I might see things differently from a seller and buyer perspective.  There's a lot of value in inspecting something in hand with your own eye, and taking it home today, and knowing I won't be frauded by someone across the sea, or that it won't get lost/damaged/caught in customs.  How much value is up to the individual.  And for the seller they ideally need to make a certain amount of profit on each item and the cost of replacement might be a bigger factor than the initial cost to them.

But yes, probably too much to pay.  But you may considering doing some research on other books, and then maybe go back to the person with an offer of something lower.

thank you very much! you've been super detailed

Getting a Stan Sig was important to me as well. I don't really track down signature books,  but there are a few i really wanted. 

The good thing about Stan signatures is,  they are everywhere.  He signed a ton of comic books. So I would really be selective.  I also wanted a witnessed signature from CGC, but I can appreciate wanting a raw book as well. 

My criteria was, a book he actually worked on (SA books) and would be meaningful to me. 

Good luck! 

On 2/22/2022 at 9:14 AM, Mattiaruotolo said:

Near the end Stan Lee was charging around $150 usd for a signature so the price is more or less reasonable based on what it cost to get Stan to sign this book, assuming it really is his signature.  This one looks legit but there are a lot of fakes out there.  In general a Stan Lee signature that's CGC witnessed and graded can add around $500 to the value of a book.  One that isn't witnessed or authenticated is something you can look at and say 'I think Stan Lee signed this'.

Looks like this exact book recently sold on ebay for $31

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393936300167?hash=item5bb86ee887%3Ag%3AxFIAAOSw-DhiCa5R&nma=true&si=jNK3on7RU2W9XiWRqRaQvNjcQ2w%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If you really want a Stan Lee signature and you want to be confident it is a Stan Lee signature I'd suggest you save up and spend more money and buy a CGC witnessed signature.  Perhaps a book more significant that this book and a book you'll always prize and love to show off and appreciate and will likely retain value.

Perhaps the first appearance of Deadpool
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255338443454?epid=0&hash=item3b735b72be:g:wCkAAOSwUsFh5nsw

I know this is a lot of money and likely not in your wheelhouse but consider something in this direction.  Pretty nice copy of a very important book signed by both Stan Lee and John Romita and witnessed by CGC.  PS, this is likely over-priced as are many books for sale right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154797042511?hash=item240a9f6b4f:g:CpgAAOSwbGth4xof

There are a lot of Stan Lee fakes out there....even heard of one show where Stan was signing....forger had a dead on Stan Lee signature. He  was  signing  books and then peeps were getting in the verification line with the fakes to get authorized...be careful

On 2/22/2022 at 5:32 PM, ramithard said:

There are a lot of Stan Lee fakes out there....even heard of one show where Stan was signing....forger had a dead on Stan Lee signature. He  was  signing  books and then peeps were getting in the verification line with the fakes to get authorized...be careful

"Verification line".... at a show...

I think this story has gone from friend to aunt to neighbor to cousin's ex-gf then to you.

On 2/22/2022 at 11:55 AM, KCOComics said:

Getting a Stan Sig was important to me as well. I don't really track down signature books,  but there are a few i really wanted. 

The good thing about Stan signatures is,  they are everywhere.  He signed a ton of comic books. So I would really be selective.  I also wanted a witnessed signature from CGC, but I can appreciate wanting a raw book as well. 

My criteria was, a book he actually worked on (SA books) and would be meaningful to me. 

Good luck! 

Stan certainly signed a lot of books, but as others in this forum have pointed out, there have been a large number of forgeries as well.  I think out of any other creator, Stan's sig is probably the most forged so I'd be very careful about picking up raw books.  The other issue is at the tail end of his life, Stan's sigs became for sporadic and looked different from one issue to the next so it would make signature verification difficult.

On 2/22/2022 at 5:46 PM, ExNihilo said:

Stan certainly signed a lot of books, but as others in this forum have pointed out, there have been a large number of forgeries as well.  I think out of any other creator, Stan's sig is probably the most forged so I'd be very careful about picking up raw books.  The other issue is at the tail end of his life, Stan's sigs became for sporadic and looked different from one issue to the next so it would make signature verification difficult.

100% agree.  

The only way to guarantee you have a legit signature is to buy a signature series book. I've heard of fakes slipping by "the other guys". 

My two Stan signatures are both CGC SS books. 

That said, I have a great affection for how creaters did signatures before the CGC days. Ball point pen on the bottom of the splash page. And I would love to pick up a raw Stan or Jack signed book like that. But, I would probably want to buy it from someone who personally got the signature.  

On 2/22/2022 at 11:31 PM, KCOComics said:

100% agree.  

The only way to guarantee you have a legit signature is to buy a signature series book. I've heard of fakes slipping by "the other guys". 

You heard?

and plural too?  

On 2/23/2022 at 7:43 PM, Sigur Ros said:

You heard?

and plural too?  

Well, read...and watched. 

But yeah, I looked into this a few years ago when I thought about having an unwitnessed signature verified. 

Many YouTubers and Reddit folks intentionally forged signatures and submitted them to see if CBCS would authentic them.  And in many cases they did. It was more than a few and I decided it wasn't worth the money. 

I'm sure they have pretty high accuracy, but you can't be 100% sure unless it's a witnessed signature.