• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How subgrades work with three 10s
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Just got this Espeon V alt art graded, and am happy with the subgrades, save for the centering.

Wanted to see what the consensus on what the final grade should be when I have 3 subs at 10s, and one sub for centering at 8.5. I don't think the centering is bad, not bad enough to pull the 3 10 subs down.

I got a 9. Shouldn't it be 9.5?

CGC Cert #4009319004
https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4009319004/

Now I totally see why this Lisia has 8.5 for centering, its worse than the Espeon V.
https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4009319002/

Thanks!
Edited by rxfiretech

On 2/22/2022 at 8:39 AM, CGC Mike said:

Hello

9.0 is the correct grade for that card.

Thanks,

Mike

I as well got 3 10s and an 8.5 centering on my card. I had taken the time to use a centering tool as well which is the reasoning I sent it in because the centering wasn't terrible. Would I be able to resend it in I genuinely feel the centering was a 9. Thank you.

• Administrator
On 3/3/2022 at 3:48 AM, Monstars1215 said:

I as well got 3 10s and an 8.5 centering on my card. I had taken the time to use a centering tool as well which is the reasoning I sent it in because the centering wasn't terrible. Would I be able to resend it in I genuinely feel the centering was a 9. Thank you.

Hello

Yes, you could resubmit the card.  Although, there are no guarantees that the centering grade will change.  

Mike

• Administrator
On 3/3/2022 at 1:18 PM, Monstars1215 said:

Mike. Would I Crack it open then resubmit or would I submit it encapsulated and what would that process be? Thank you

You could crack it open yourself or we can do it.  I believe here is a small charge for us to do it but, it might be safer to ship in its holder.  That is up to you to decide.   You would need to complete a submission form like you did the first time you sent it in.  The card would be treated like it was raw and regraded.  

On 3/3/2022 at 12:21 PM, Monstars1215 said:

Below I attached a picture of the card that the centering was graded 8.5. Like I said I know it's not a 10 but I feel as if it's a 9. What's your thoughts being an admin. Thank you. 

FB_IMG_1646338782622.jpg

Do you think chat room admins are allowed to publicly post their opinions about the grades of cards over a picture from the internet?  When they as a company literally exist for people to pay professional graders to examine cards in hand? 

• Administrator
On 3/3/2022 at 5:19 PM, Monstars1215 said:

Genuinely I don't know. First set of cards graded.  Wasn't trying to start a ruckus was just asking an opinion.

Sorry myself or any CGC employee can't comment on the grade of a card from an image.  We would have to see it in person.

Ok sorry for causing a discrepancy not what my intention was just saw multiple cards have a centering of 8.5 and the other 3 sub grades be scattered with 9 9.5 and 10. I got the 3 10's with the 8.5 ands got a 9 that's all I was trying to figure out was how a card that was 8.5,9,9.5,10 got a 9 but mine 8.5,10,10,10 got a 9 as well. Dropped an example of a scattered sub 9.

Screenshot_20220303-225729_Facebook.jpg

On 3/4/2022 at 12:00 AM, Monstars1215 said:

Ok sorry for causing a discrepancy not what my intention was just saw multiple cards have a centering of 8.5 and the other 3 sub grades be scattered with 9 9.5 and 10. I got the 3 10's with the 8.5 ands got a 9 that's all I was trying to figure out was how a card that was 8.5,9,9.5,10 got a 9 but mine 8.5,10,10,10 got a 9 as well. Dropped an example of a scattered sub 9.

Screenshot_20220303-225729_Facebook.jpg

They only bump it .5 of the lowest grade and if the two lowest grades match it will be that grade no matter what.

On 3/4/2022 at 2:16 AM, Monstars1215 said:

I get what you're saying but when I talked to the customer service representative at cgc. She said the max they can go is 1 point above lowest grade for a final grade. Which would've been the 9.5 I feel the card should've been.

There is most definitely a large formula to the grading calculations that they don’t want 100% public for understandable reasons. But I’m willing to bet that a part of it is a separate stimulation something like “card cannot have overall value of x.x without certain subgrade x being at least x.x”. Just an educated guess after looking at the trading card section of grading > grading scales 

Edited by JohnBurke