• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old price tags!!! Should I peel it off??

6 posts in this topic

I am just getting back into my old comic collection (not huge don't worry im not bragging) and also buying some nice Silver age and Modern raw and slabbed books ive always wanted. I have found a few of these books still with old price tags stuck on the back and front. Should I take these off? I did it with one and it came off fine but now I see a clear color difference.(This was a modern book (1987), my concern is the older ones will cause damage when removing)

Might be a very stupid question but would e even dumber not to ask ! ha.

Any feedback is much appreciated 

i feel like someone will come along with a smart way to do it.  Maybe check out youtube too.

I once entertained buying a big SA key that had a sticker on it. I contacted Tracey Heft (professional restorer) and asked him what it would take to get the sticker off (and could we do it without restoration?). 

He told me,  he could get it off and explained some methods. But the problem with doing that is,  under the sticker it would likely be well preserved from light and dust and everything else. It wouldn't have aged like the rest of the book. So there would be an obvious difference in the space where the sticker was. 

If the comics are more modern (80s and 90s) and they've been stored well, that difference may be less pronounced. But it's something to consider. 

I usually make an initial attempt to take the sticker off.  If it's being fussy, I leave it.  Sometimes they come right off extremely easily, and yes, I've seen instances where the color is more vibrant underneath the sticker, but I would rather have that small rectangular/square/circular spot that blends in better than a big ol' sticker.  

If you're lucky, the sticker glue is all dried up and the whole thing pops off with a couple flecks of the fingernail.