• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 50
4 4

15 posts in this topic

I completely understand your position of not having thousands to spend, lower grade books have their place in the collectors world!
 I don’t see any large missing chunks, and the back cover is pretty decent.  I’m thinking around 2.5, maybe 3.5 if the grader got laid the night before.  The center main art doesn’t have major color breaks, so this is a handsome piece all things considered.  

On 2/23/2022 at 3:53 AM, The lips said:

I’m not in a position to buy blue chip keys or higher grades

You and me both. I think that ship has sailed. Gotta enjoy what I got and find some niche interests.

Thanks for sharing.

On 2/23/2022 at 2:18 PM, Sillydiabetic said:

I completely understand your position of not having thousands to spend, lower grade books have their place in the collectors world!
 I don’t see any large missing chunks, and the back cover is pretty decent.  I’m thinking around 2.5, maybe 3.5 if the grader got laid the night before.  The center main art doesn’t have major color breaks, so this is a handsome piece all things considered.  

Thanks

yeah in a quest to complete as much of the ASM run I’m having to buy around the 2-3 grade. As long as it’s complete and looks decent then I’ll buy. 

im delighted to now own this book in its current condition. Thanks again. 

I’d say 2.5 as well. You get the best grade you can afford (general rule) Or you do without.. I’m glad you got a copy! It’s a very collectible key that a lot of collectors want in their collection and may not get because lower grade copies are going up and disappearing 

On 2/26/2022 at 6:30 AM, Februus said:

I’d say 2.5 as well. You get the best grade you can afford (general rule) Or you do without.. I’m glad you got a copy! It’s a very collectible key that a lot of collectors want in their collection and may not get because lower grade copies are going up and disappearing 

Thanks and yeah that’s exactly my thinking. 
To me, it’s not about the value of the book it’s about personally owning what I think is a little piece of history in our comic book world. To have it in my collection brings me a hell of a lot of satisfaction. 
I’m planning and hoping on acquiring another 3 to 4 keys this year and they’ll be around the 2.5-4 grade..unless I strike good !! 

Feel very good that I pulled the trigger on a gorgeous white 6.5 a few years ago.

I actually haggled a bit at just over $500.

Kind of makes up in a small way for the fact I sold my 7.0 white #14 for less than $1K in 2009.

:censored:

On 2/26/2022 at 2:28 AM, The lips said:

To me, it’s not about the value of the book it’s about personally owning what I think is a little piece of history in our comic book world.

Bingo.

That's why the keys in my collection run from low to high grade with most being in the middle. Condition never mattered much to me. I took what I could find and what I could afford.

On 2/26/2022 at 5:47 PM, grendelbo said:

Bingo.

That's why the keys in my collection run from low to high grade with most being in the middle. Condition never mattered much to me. I took what I could find and what I could afford.

I’m with you guys. I have reader copies I love to hang onto for just that reason..grade matters to us or we wouldn’t be here. I understand what you’re saying tho.. the grade is relative to the book. A lower grade in a rare old comic is just as awesome as a 9.8 in a new book. It doesn’t effect the love you have for that collectible.. anyway thanks for letting me ramble.. 

Collectors come in all sizes. Some guys need to have 9.8s. Some guys are perfectly OK with 2.0.

Other guys are like me, and 7.0 to 7.5 are just perfect answers.

The best early Spidey that I acguired as a kid, I was positive was NM

It was a #5. It had OW pages, hell if I cared, and CGC ended up calling it 7.5

I was flabbergasted.

lol