• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General questions on Grading, would really appreciate some feedback

23 posts in this topic

Hi All,

S basically I am just getting back into my old collection mainly Bronze and Modern with a few Silver aged. Lets just say the passion is coming back! with that being said I have recently posted a few books on the "Spare a Grade thread" and am seeing allot of really helpful members mention pressing and cleaning and its benefit on the books grade/aesthetics. My question is would it be a bad idea to buy a presser of my own and learn on some less important books or is that a very stupid idea? im seeing pressers going for like $200 which im fine with as I assume getting a book pressed will cost around $20 (I could be way off!)

anyway is it a bad idea to buy my own presser and how much does pressing cost in general.

On 2/23/2022 at 12:03 PM, FlyJ said:

My question is would it be a bad idea to buy a presser of my own and learn on some less important books or is that a very stupid idea?

I would never consider learning to be a bad idea.

If you want to put the time, money, and effort into learning how to press and dry clean then I say go for it.

I would recommend using a professional for any books which you would think about submitting to CGC.

It's a long process to become very competent.  Now if you want to do it as a hobby then  why not

There's a  recent thread here where someone went thru that process and posted about it

On 2/23/2022 at 12:32 PM, FlyJ said:

@csaag @theCapraAegagrus my main reason would be to press books ad submit to CGC and also to press ones i like so they look fresher in my collection. What is the rough cost for pressing a book (im sure it varies on the book)....but roughly

Thanks

here's that thread I mentioned where someone posted about learning to press

CCS prices are found from the links at the CGC home page

On 2/23/2022 at 9:32 AM, FlyJ said:

@csaag @theCapraAegagrus my main reason would be to press books ad submit to CGC and also to press ones i like so they look fresher in my collection. What is the rough cost for pressing a book (im sure it varies on the book)....but roughly

Thanks

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/ccs-pressing/

$15 for moderns, $30 for economy, obviously with invoicing fees and optional fast track.  And obviously more for express and walkthrough tiers. 

I mean since the turnaround time is so long, if you bought a press and pressed 3-5 books a day 5 days a week for like 8 months, you could be pretty experienced by Christmas time, and still be ahead of CCS.

@revat is it only worth getting things pressed by CGC ? the reason I ask is some books I wont want to submit  for grading and assumed there may be better local options (companies/shops etc) where i could get it done quicker and cheaper...I am also based in London U.K so I assume its even longer for me when it comes to submitting books for grading and getting them back ! ha (bit thats another story)

On 2/23/2022 at 12:42 PM, FlyJ said:

@revat is it only worth getting things pressed by CGC ? the reason I ask is some books I wont want to submit  for grading and assumed there may be better local options (companies/shops etc) where i could get it done quicker and cheaper...I am also based in London U.K so I assume its even longer for me when it comes to submitting books for grading and getting them back ! ha (bit thats another story)

there's a London CGC office

https://www.cgccomics.uk/submit/how-to-submit/

On 2/23/2022 at 9:42 AM, FlyJ said:

I think most would caution you against choosing someone to press and clean for you "just because" they're close to where you live (although saving on shipping costs would certainly be a bonus).  Pressers can ruin your books really easily.  You want to choose professionalism first (if you're going to hire this out), rather than trying to get by on the cheap.

@MattTheDuck so buying one an doing it myself it a really bad idea I take it ...even for books I just want to make look nicer in my personal collecion? @csaag not sure if this is a stupid question or even if you know but does that mean that they press in their UK office or does that go to the U.S for that? thanks to both !

On 2/23/2022 at 9:42 AM, FlyJ said:

for london that's a different question, someone else can chime in.  If no one else chimes in, consider contacting some local comic shops and ask about potential pressers.  Maybe look to join some london comic facebook/insta groups and ask.  I would say very generally, pressing for most non-ultra-key books are $10-$60 USD per, I would be hesitant to use the cheaper end without some good references.

On 2/23/2022 at 1:01 PM, FlyJ said:

@MattTheDuck so buying one an doing it myself it a really bad idea I take it ...even for books I just want to make look nicer in my personal collecion? @csaag not sure if this is a stupid question or even if you know but does that mean that they press in their UK office or does that go to the U.S for that? thanks to both !

no idea - I just saw the link.  I'd day try calling that office, or there's an 'Ask Cgc' forum where you could posts question(s)

On 2/23/2022 at 10:01 AM, FlyJ said:

@MattTheDuck so buying one an doing it myself it a really bad idea I take it ...even for books I just want to make look nicer in my personal collecion?

No, as noted by CA above, there's no downside to seeing if you can learn to be good at it with books that aren't important.  I thought I made it obvious, but I was referring only to a situation where you shopped this out to a third party somewhere close to where you live. 

On 2/23/2022 at 10:03 AM, csaag said:
On 2/23/2022 at 10:01 AM, FlyJ said:

no idea - I just saw the link.  I'd day try calling that office, or there's an 'Ask Cgc' forum where you could posts question(s)

I think its just an 'easier' way for Europeans to submit.  But the books I believe are still all actually sent to Florida.  But in theory its easier to submit for Europeans (easier for to adhere to UK/EU terms of service), and and at least pre-brexit it might have helped simplify some of the customs/shipping stuff (might even be some tax benefits for CGC).  So the books would be 'submitted (maybe even dropped off)' to the UK office, then that office would ship to US for pressing and grading.  That was my previous understanding, but it may have changed with brexit and/or covid and/or new CGC ownership. Obviously checking the website and contacting customer service would be the most accurate.

On 2/23/2022 at 11:03 AM, FlyJ said:

My question is would it be a bad idea to buy a presser of my own

Yes. Slavery is illegal and wrong. You shouldn't even be thinking about trying to buy another person.

It's also highly likely that you shouldn't buy any kind of press and try to work on your own books.

On 2/23/2022 at 5:02 PM, Lazyboy said:
On 2/23/2022 at 12:03 PM, FlyJ said:

My question is would it be a bad idea to buy a presser of my own

Yes. Slavery is illegal and wrong. You shouldn't even be thinking about trying to buy another person.

It's also highly likely that you shouldn't buy any kind of press and try to work on your own books.

I bought a drill press. Was that wrong?