• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old case? or submit for New Case? CGC 9.9
3 3

55 posts in this topic

I’ve got a couple CGC SS slabs that definitely need reholdering from the older holders, but with CGC’s shenanigans and current TAT for reholders (100 plus business days I believe), I’m not doing it.  The fear is real that they’ll screw them up.

If you’re only concerned about scuffs, but the slab is still well sealed, don’t bother…at least for the time being.

F6DEDC67-5FF3-4FE6-BE0F-3D196410A31D.gif

On 2/28/2022 at 7:52 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m not sure the cover inks are glossy enough on this 9.9 to be at risk of color-lift when removing the inner well.

I didn't see where the owner of that book said the damage was from color-lift.  

On 2/28/2022 at 8:13 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Try to keep up :baiting:

All he said in his post was that the "book got damaged".......he didn't say what kind of damage.

I'm looking at you in my rear-view mirror. :makepoint:

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 2/28/2022 at 9:16 PM, Domo Arigato said:

All he said in his post was that the "book got damaged".......he didn't say what kind of damage.

I'm looking at you in my rear-view mirror. :makepoint:

Were you paying attention, you would have picked up on the fact that the story didn’t start there.

Due diligence is all I ask :p

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 2/28/2022 at 8:20 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

We’re you paying attention, you would have picked up on the fact that the story didn’t start there.

Due diligence is all I ask :p

I went by his recent post saying it was the "FULL STORY" and made a post based off of that.

How am I supposed to know I need to search a month and a half of boring back and forth posts between you two lovebirds to try to make sure there were no details missing?  :makepoint:

On 2/28/2022 at 9:27 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I went by his recent post saying it was the "FULL STORY" and made a post based off of that.

How am I supposed to know I need to search a month and a half of boring back and forth posts between you two lovebirds to try to make sure there were no details missing?  :makepoint:

Now that you’re caught up....

How do you feel about 9.8s becoming 9.4s simply by CGC removing them from the inner well?:baiting:

On 2/28/2022 at 8:41 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Now that you’re caught up....

How do you feel about 9.8s becoming 9.4s simply by CGC removing them from the inner well?:baiting:

Now I just need to figure out how to get un-caught up on your latest bromance. :ohnoez:

As far as my feelings about this damage.....I'm against it.  

But, now for my question that goes back to my original point of damage from reholdering.......do you think the only damage CGC has caused during reholdering books is from color-lift? hm

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 2/28/2022 at 9:52 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Now I just need to figure out how to get un-caught up on your latest bromance. :ohnoez:

As far as my feelings about this damage.....I'm against it.  

But, now for my question that goes back to my original point of damage from reholdering.......do you think the only damage CGC has caused during reholdering books is from color-lift? hm

It’s the only damage I know of that isn’t caused by human error in the QC department.  

The inner sleeve peeled the ink.

That’s not good. 

On 2/28/2022 at 9:04 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

It’s the only damage I know of that isn’t caused by human error in the QC department.  

The inner sleeve peeled the ink.

That’s not good. 

Well.....yeah, that's not good......but the human error part is likely the far more common cause of damage at the CGC facility when it comes to removing and reholdering a book (not including SCS in shipping).

I would be far more concerned about some sausage-fingered klutz opening the case and creasing, dinging or scratching my book than I would be about the sleeve peeling the ink.  Either way, it's not going to happen to me, as you couldn't pay me enough to send any in right now.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 2/28/2022 at 10:13 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Well.....yeah, that's not good......but the human error part is likely the far more common cause of damage at the CGC facility when it comes to removing and reholdering a book.

I would be far more concerned about some sausage-fingered klutz opening the case and creasing, dinging or scratching my book than I would be about the sleeve peeling the ink.  Either way, it's not going to happen to me, as you couldn't pay me enough to send any in right now.

I’m not throwing any comics into the current  gorilla cage either. :insane:

On 2/28/2022 at 9:13 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Well.....yeah, that's not good......but the human error part is likely the far more common cause of damage at the CGC facility when it comes to removing and reholdering a book (not including SCS in shipping).

What’s SCS?

On 2/28/2022 at 10:43 PM, Dergrosse13 said:

What’s SCS?

A term I believe board member THE_BEYONDER created years ago in here.......it stands for Shaken Comic Syndrome.

It's when a comic slides around inside a CGC holder and gets damaged.......which can occur during shipping. 

The damage is often concentrated towards the corners of the books.......but not always.  Another example might be when the cover has actually pulled away from the rest of the book and torn at the staples while it's in the CGC holder.  This is caused by the inner CGC well holding the cover in place as the rest of the comic pulls away from it when the book is jostled around.

Edited by Domo Arigato